Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worried I might have Asperger's Syndrome. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    oh for goodness sake, you are worried that you might be able to get a label.

I wish people wouldn't think like that. I, and many other users, have AS and believe me it is just a bloody label for another type of personality.

Close down the computer, stop looking at websites that would convince you you have got it, and go outside.

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly what you mean. I've had a great deal of close experience with "oddballs" (Asperger syndrome, out of control gifted children, etc) - people I know and have got to know and have helped, I'm no doctor. Anyway, that you've described COULD be Asperger, but its diagnosis isn't that simple: most people who suffer from that condition are initially misdiagnosed for something else (which may also be there). If you want more details, or if you just want to talk to someone who will understand you, just PM me. I'll be glad to help!

You should definately get checked out if you think you have it. Labels are not as useless as people will tell you, there are reasons that we have evolved to want them...they help us.

I have never been to a single psychiatrist since I was diagnosed, just the fact that I have a word to put on it helps me to handle it so much better than I could before. Plus it gives you a freedom to be confident in your 'weirdness' and properly discover who you are. It validates you.

It would be nice if that was possible without a label, but if you have grown up in a society where everybody is obsessed with fitting in and where people who are different get torn apart...just being yourself isnt an easy thing to do.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous)
      Just don't join/visit a support forum for something like that. They're depressing and regressive places...
      Too true. I was once in an Aspergers support group in Leicester. Unhappy people grouped together is not the healthiest of environments. Also I felt patronised by some of the 'normal volunteers there. That said I did make some good friends there .

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by morecambebay)
      You should definately get checked out if you think you have it. Labels are not as useless as people will tell you, there are reasons that we have evolved to want them...they help us.

I have never been to a single psychiatrist since I was diagnosed, just the fact that I have a word to put on it helps me to handle it so much better than I could before. Plus it gives you a freedom to be confident in your 'weirdness' and properly discover who you are. It validates you.

It would be nice if that was possible without a label, but if you have grown up in a society where everybody is obsessed with fitting in and where people who are different get torn apart...just being yourself isnt an easy thing to do.
      You seem to totally understand why i actually posted this thread up. Thanks! Also thanks loads to everybody else who contributed.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.