Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do i need the bottom 2 lights on my car? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schumacher)
    Fog lights are annoying although it is equally irritating when people just have any lights on in broad daylight for no apparent reason.

I mean what's the point?

When you've had muppets pull out on you several times, you'll get into the habit of just putting your lights on when you jump in the car. This is especially true during these months when the sun is so low in the sky.

ReputationRep:
    I know several people whom have received a £35 fine for misuse of fog-lights :aetsch:

The problem with them is their low positioning which is to try and light up the area nearest the floor where atmospheric pressure and ambient road temperature make the fog thinnest. This means on a wet road they reflect off the surface, effectively doubling the amount of dazzle to oncoming drivers. Their wide beam pattern and lack of testing for the aim of that beam means they can be aligned all over the place, potentially further adding to the dazzle. Also, if we think about it sensibly, the beam of a fog-light is designed to illuminate the kerb and white line just a few metres in front of the car to maybe 5m max. The HC stopping distance at just 20mph is quoted as 12m, meaning those idiots who insist on using them instead of headlights might see an object too late and will almost certainly hit it. Personally, I'd make it a £500 fine (double for commercial vehicles) with the option of having the fine reduced to £200 if the prosecuting officer is allowed to boot the lights through. Sensibly speaking though, manufacturers could be forced to fit an annoying chime to remind people they're on, and disabling that could be an MOT failure and endorsable offence.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.