Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Another eg of racism against black people Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Something_Ironic)
    Ok firstly, i mean no offence at all with anything im saying, so please don't accuse me of anything because i may not agree.

Am i correct to assume you are black?

The oxford thing: How many black students applied and how many white students applied? Im sure there would be many more whites to apply, as there are more white people in the country. Also, are universities given ethnic info like that upon application?
    (may seem like a stupid question but im not university age tbh) If they are accepting the people with the best grades/track record then fair enough.

The pizza hut thing: Maybe its because they're semi-famous footballers? The restaurant may have asked them to pay as they may have thought they could get a freebie, seeing as(again) they are semi-famous footballers
    no i'm of indian origin, but born and raised in London.

As for the 2nd point about freebie. Surely the restaurant would expect them to be able to pay so would be less inclined to ask them to pay upfront because they can afford it??? Looks like plain racism on the part of the restaurant staff. The irony is that i ordered a pizza hut for lunch today! They should be boycotted!

ReputationRep:
    I don't get asked for payment upon entry in Pizza Hut, but then again i do go in with a group of White friends. However my black friend doesn't get asked either. I'd say those employees where either not fans of the team those footballers played for or are just racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    First the oxbridge thing [http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?t=1484229] and now i find this:
    This isn't racism......

How do you know there weren't two different people serving the two groups?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amsie/)
    no it's not that. you obvs didn't bother to read the article
    YOU obviously didnt read the article

ReputationRep:
    First the oxbridge thing [http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?t=1484229] and now i find this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-11934942

black people have to pay for meal before getting it but some random white kids who come in can pay after. Plain racist! When will Britain learn to tolerate people of all ethnicities!

Edit: see how the racists are neg repping me for exposing them. For shame!
    Jesus, there's no need to pull the race card at every possible occasion. There are plenty of other reasons that they could have been asked to pay first. :rolleyes:

Oh, before you call me a racist, I'm of dual heritage, yes I'm white, but my father's family's country and England do not historically get on. If an English person is horrible to me, I don't immidiately assume it's because I'm only half English. The only time I've ever accused someone of racism was when they called me a terrorist and a dirty foreign immigrant (I was born here so epic fail), which was clearly racist.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously doubt that the black students who applied to oxbridge and were rejected were rejected because they were black....

To be honest its probably more of a sign of our failing inner city school system, there are a higher proportion of black kids in inner city schools and unfortunatly most kids from those schools regardless of ethnicity do worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callipygian)
    I seriously doubt that the black students who applied to oxbridge and were rejected were rejected because they were black....

To be honest its probably more of a sign of our failing inner city school system, there are a higher proportion of black kids in inner city schools and unfortunatly most kids from those schools regardless of ethnicity do worse.
    As the MP who made the freedom of information request pointed out, many black students got straight A's in their A levels were overlooked for people from middle and upper class backgrounds. He said proportionately less black people were getting in...which seems to be true if places like Merton havn't had a black kid in over 5 years...I mean undergrad is only 3 years so that probably makes Merton the whitest college in Oxford :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave Davidson)
    YOU obviously didnt read the article
    i did way before this thread
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the oxbridge thing is racism. It could just be most of the black applicants happened to be among the weaker academically that year. The fact that 20 colleges didn't let a black person in is a terrible statistic, but it doesn't prove racist motives were involved.

ReputationRep:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-11934942

black people have to pay for meal before getting it but some random white kids who come in can pay after. Plain racist! When will Britain learn to tolerate people of all ethnicities!

Edit: see how the racists are neg repping me for exposing them. For shame!
    poor black guys. the fried chicken shop would never disrespect them.

to be expected, down in bournemouth!

ReputationRep:
    no i'm of indian origin, but born and raised in London.

As for the 2nd point about freebie. Surely the restaurant would expect them to be able to pay so would be less inclined to ask them to pay upfront because they can afford it??? Looks like plain racism on the part of the restaurant staff. The irony is that i ordered a pizza hut for lunch today! They should be boycotted!
    Cool, so we're clear, im white.

If it is the way you say, its unacceptable. But, they may have been served by different people.
    Last time i went to pizza hut, i had to prepay. Time before, paid as we left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Jesus, there's no need to pull the race card at every possible occasion. There are plenty of other reasons that they could have been asked to pay first. :rolleyes:

Oh, before you call me a racist, I'm of dual heritage, yes I'm white, but my father's family's country and England do not historically get on. If an English person is horrible to me, I don't immidiately assume it's because I'm only half English. The only time I've ever accused someone of racism was when they called me a terrorist and a dirty foreign immigrant (I was born here so epic fail), which was clearly racist.
    people won't know about your father's ethnicity. They'll judge you on your appearance and the fact that you have less melanin then those afc bournemouth footballers is the main point.

ReputationRep:
    lol white people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunty64)
    people won't know about your father's ethnicity. They'll judge you on your appearance and the fact that you have less melanin then those afc bournemouth footballers is the main point.
    I have a very foreign surname, so once people know that, it's clear that I'm not completely English. As I said, people have been racist towards me, but unless it's really bad, I just get on with it. Actually, myself and some of my other friends from other ethnicities make casual racism jokes to eachother all the time, to mock those who do it seriously.

I do understand what you're saying, that on first glance, it's not as easy to discriminate against me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Something_Ironic)
    Ok firstly, i mean no offence at all with anything im saying, so please don't accuse me of anything because i may not agree.

Am i correct to assume you are black?

The oxford thing: How many black students applied and how many white students applied? Im sure there would be many more whites to apply, as there are more white people in the country. Also, are universities given ethnic info like that upon application?
    (may seem like a stupid question but im not university age tbh) If they are accepting the people with the best grades/track record then fair enough.

The pizza hut thing: Maybe its because they're semi-famous footballers? The restaurant may have asked them to pay as they may have thought they could get a freebie, seeing as(again) they are semi-famous footballers
    well given that they politely told the restaurant manager that they were employed and would pay after the meal like everyone else, I don't think the manager thought they were after freebies.

Manager was most probably some jumped up white guy with issues.

ReputationRep:
    I was once in a Pizza Hut in Bluewater and a group of about six black men were eating. One by one, they all got "phone calls" and went outside to take them. They promptly did a runner.

I've seen this happen in several resturaunts. It's never been a white person.

I don't blame the manager.

ReputationRep:
    they were footballers, footballers usually look a bit chavvy, chavs steal stuff

ReputationRep:
    Ok, if this had been some white footballers who for whatever reason seemed "dodgy" and were asked to pay first... would you have cared/ be quoting this article?!

ReputationRep:
    Huh, we were talking about this my Psych lesson today as a example of stereotyping...but its not the first time that's happened and it isn't going to be the last...its a shame, but its life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    I have a very foreign surname, so once people know that, it's clear that I'm not completely English. As I said, people have been racist towards me, but unless it's really bad, I just get on with it. Actually, myself and some of my other friends from other ethnicities make casual racism jokes to eachother all the time, to mock those who do it seriously.

I do understand what you're saying, that on first glance, it's not as easy to discriminate against me.
    yeh, you get my point. People will judge you on your appearance and not knowing your name when you go to pizza hut is not the issue.

all good and well having a bit of racist banter between your friends but doens't mean that those who experience it should take it as a bit of banter.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.