Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A71 - Parliamentary Questions Amendment Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think this sounds like a good idea.

(Original post by Indievertigo)
    The obvious way around this is to require all questions to be sent to the speaker in the Ask the Speaker thread, or even having a new Ask the speaker thread in the voting lobby, and that limits the possibility of idiots asking questions, as well as limiting the possibility of idiot MPs asking questions.
    Yes, a thread for asking questions in the Division Lobby, and the answer thread in the House.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    This is one of the coalition's idea which I did and do still agree with. Will definitely be an aye from me.
    Amendements are strictly non-political, and it is not a coalition idea, although the members proposing and seconding this amendments are from the parties within the coalition, it is done on a strictly personal basis, as are all amendments to the house.

Just sayin'.

To the amendment, meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbdavies)
    Maybe per fortnight? For the MP questions rule, a month seems a little too far.
    I agree, only one per month isn't much at all.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simontinsley)
    Amendements are strictly non-political, and it is not a coalition idea, although the members proposing and seconding this amendments are from the parties within the coalition, it is done on a strictly personal basis, as are all amendments to the house.

Just sayin'.

To the amendment, meh.
    You know what I mean. It was created and seconded by the coalition.

ReputationRep:
    Just you I fear. You're using the word precedent in a very ambiguous manner there, if I were to take your implied usage, any amendment or bill would be classified as a precedent. When we're writing bills/amendments, one usually considers a precedent to be a decision made by the speaker where there has been nothing in the constitution to cover, or a decision which is made by a court.
    Yes, I am using precedent to mean more than simply decisions that are made by, as in this example, the Speaker. It is not, however, ambiguous, simply different to your own usage of the term. My point is that if we set a limit on the amount of questions that may be asked within a certain period of time, we risk this becoming accepted as the norm and applied in other cases e.g. PMQs, Ask the Speaker. While this is an unlikely scenario, it should be considered.
    So in the one sentence, you dismiss but also accept a point of view. Do make your mind up, and make it up a bit more clearly than that, before resorting to calling someone an idiot.
    No, in one sentence I state that I don't particularly approve but recognise that I'm being quite pedantic and that others may not share the view. And I was being tongue in cheek dear :p:
    The obvious way around this is to require all questions to be sent to the speaker in the Ask the Speaker thread, or even having a new Ask the speaker thread in the voting lobby, and that limits the possibility of idiots asking questions, as well as limiting the possibility of idiot MPs asking questions.
    Personally I feel this defeats the point of limiting it to two questions and, for the record, I do think that if this is enacted the Speaker should be PMed the questions.

Apologies for the late reply, was working on an essay.
    (Original post by toronto353)
    You know what I mean. It was created and seconded by the coalition.
    When i put through a party names change amendment the Conservatives threatened to whip against it. I assume they did but they may not have done. Amendments are political if you allow them to be and the Conservatives have done so before.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    When i put through a party names change amendment the Conservatives threatened to whip against it. I assume they did but they may not have done. Amendments are political if you allow them to be and the Conservatives have done so before.
    You could try an amendment like that again if you wish. With the changed House, it has a better chance of getting passed. You could PM it me to second it if you want to give the amendment a try again.

ReputationRep:
    I think something needs to be considered for if the secretary of state is unavailable to respond (so questions aren't just skipped if they happen to be off TSR for a couple of days), but besides that i don't see any problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    We didn't

I can't remember the last time we whipped come to think about it. It's usually just a reminder to keep our voting figures up.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eru Iluvatar)
    I think something needs to be considered for if the secretary of state is unavailable to respond (so questions aren't just skipped if they happen to be off TSR for a couple of days), but besides that i don't see any problem with it.
    Already taken care of:

Parliamentary Questions Amendment
    8) In the event that the relevant Secretary of State is unavailable, questions may be answered by a relevant Minister of State as named by the Secretary of State or the Prime Minister.

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaran-j)
    Already taken care of:

Parliamentary Questions Amendment
    8) In the event that the relevant Secretary of State is unavailable, questions may be answered by a relevant Minister of State as named by the Secretary of State or the Prime Minister.

:cool:
    The thing i'm not sure about with that is if someone was away for a couple of days and didn't mention anything (2 days isn't enough to miss a vote or anything, so i wouldn't personally even think of posting if i wouldn't be around that long), then the response would either be missed, or be rushed to meet the 2 day deadline. I'd say changing it to a 7 day deadline would make things simpler, and stop that from happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eru Iluvatar)
    The thing i'm not sure about with that is if someone was away for a couple of days and didn't mention anything (2 days isn't enough to miss a vote or anything, so i wouldn't personally even think of posting if i wouldn't be around that long), then the response would either be missed, or be rushed to meet the 2 day deadline. I'd say changing it to a 7 day deadline would make things simpler, and stop that from happening.
    I think the two day deadline is actually an important element of the amendment. It ensures the thread is quite fast moving, if a member tables a question then. They deserve an answer.

I don't think a relevant Minister of State answering a question would be a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    We didn't

I can't remember the last time we whipped come to think about it. It's usually just a reminder to keep our voting figures up.
    Fair dos

ReputationRep:
    This is in cessation.

ReputationRep:
    This has been withdrawn.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.