Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pupils from comprehensive schools are more likely to gain better university degrees Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amiejade-x)
    did you have any work experience or a placement year during your degree?
    the essay i'm actually writing is on the importance of work experience to be successful in acheiving a graduate job :holmes:
    Your research will be a tad more credible if uou use anecdotes which aren't complete lies...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCount.)
    Your research will be a tad more credible if uou use anecdotes which aren't complete lies...
    its not a lie :rolleyes:
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docRelativeResourceManager.doc (37.5 KB, 74 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amiejade-x)
    did you have any work experience or a placement year during your degree?
    the essay i'm actually writing is on the importance of work experience to be successful in acheiving a graduate job :holmes:
    i can't help you there my friend. The only job i did was voluntary teaching assistant job in a local ghetto highschool, and working as a data administrator. I had no idea what i wanted to do after i graduated, and still don't!

ReputationRep:
    Generally, those who go to university from comp schools are of course going to be more intelligent/academic, on average, than somebody from a private school who goes to the same university. AAA at a comp means you are almost certainly going to be extremely self motivated, as well as highly intelligent, whereas if you get AAA from a private school, it's not a guarantee of high intelligence/academic abilities - someone who got BBB at the comp' would have probably got AAA at a priv'. So when university comes along, the AAA comp student is much more likely to be a better academic than the AAA priv at the same institution. The same applies to be BBB student and so forth.

Even though universities do take into account how poor/good a school is when considering applications, it doesn't go anywhere near to closing the massive advantage gap those from private schools have. To account for the gap, Oxbridge would have to put AAA from a comp on par with 5 or 6 A*s from a priv, and of course that's not going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    I am SO saving this article for future use on TSR.

The amount of 'im rich and go to private school so will be better than you at university" variations of posts i see just makes me facepalm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    I hated university and i went to a rough london state comp. i found it to be full of stuck up people and i wish i hadn't gone to uni cos i don't need to be around elitist toffs who think they're better than me cos they have a bit of money and went to priv/grammar school.

Also, i got a 2:1 in geophysics from ucl with v little studying but getting a job is nigh impossible and i bet all those rich private and grammar school scums are using contacts to get jobs whereas we common folk are left to rot in the gutter. Doing a degree was the biggest waste of time ever....wish i'd just become a plumber or carpenter or something....Apprenticeships ftw!
    You need to lose the bitterness. I too went to a comp and found university to be largely full of people whose education had been better than mine, but that wasn't their problem and they weren't in the least stuck up. I felt well out of place but that wasn't their fault, or the university's, it was the fault of crappy state schools that think mediocrity is enough and don't have any intellectual ambition for poorer kids. I did struggle quite a lot in many ways but I got a first in the end so my personal story maybe bears out the Sutton Trust research. Going to uni was the best thing I ever did, and I got a great job thanks very much without 'contacts'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megaduck)
    ... but I got a first in the end so my personal story maybe bears out the Sutton Trust research. Going to uni was the best thing I ever did, and I got a great job thanks very much without 'contacts'.
    You obvioustly adapted better than I did! I got a 2:1, that was after going to three different russel gp uni's and trying 4 different courses...University led to severe depression, a depression I have only just managed to get rid of, 5 years after starting at university.

ReputationRep:
    Completely irrelevant as it doesn't take into account where and what degree was studied. For example if in general people from comps did 'easier' degrees in which gaining a first is more attainable, yet people from independant schools took harder degrees with a lower % of students getting a first, such as in Law.

Not saying this is the case, but it seems only a few selected figures were taken so that an article could be made. With no credibility of the actual argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honoris)
    Completely irrelevant as it doesn't take into account where and what degree was studied. For example if in general people from comps did 'easier' degrees in which gaining a first is more attainable, yet people from independant schools took harder degrees with a lower % of students getting a first, such as in Law.

Not saying this is the case, but it seems only a few selected figures were taken so that an article could be made. With no credibility of the actual argument.
    Most Sutton Trust research is done on the 'Sutton Trust thirteen', a group of the thirteen supposedly top unis. I can't say for sure that's the case in this bit of research but the Sutton Trust's whole schtick is getting poor kids into top unis.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.