Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justrelirandom)
    Currently i'm think of studying :
    Triple maths (or double maths at minimum)
    Triple science
    Mandarin(Not really studying , just taking exams)

So a couple of questions :
    1.Is triple maths worth it? Does it give you that much of an advantage?
    2.How is the work load going to be?
    3.If i'm also considering to take Philosophy,History,Economics is there any way to fit those in?
    Sorry if this is a bit harsh but it's true.

If you're stupid enough to pick 7 subjects then you're not clever enough to pass them.
    Oh and your social life will SUCK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Paving)
    lol, oops.

Must be on the mind. :sigh:
    Well it made me smile. People should make 'mistakes' like that more often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Doing 18 maths modules!
    What, Maths, Further and a bit of Stats or something? I wouldn't bother, there are only a couple of uni's that even require further to do a Maths degree - never mind wasting your time with 'triple' Maths. Also, that many A-levels is not really achievable by anyone with a healthy social life, and you may well end up going bald and dying alone.

ReputationRep:
    Triple science

3.If i'm also considering to take Philosophy,History,Economics is there any way to fit those in?
    Take it from me, I have no frees at all at my school, even if you are smart, that would be stupid. Have you mentioned this to your school? Your sixth form head would just say 'shut up'

Triple science

Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics - max 5 A-levels

If you intend to do Biological/Medical Sciences = Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics (I'm not too sure if Maths and FM are seen as two separate A-levels for Medicine).

If you intend to do Physical Sciences/Engineering = Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry/Biology

Triple Maths - just no. Do the AEA or STEP (which is not necessary for admission - but it depends which courses you apply for).

Don't be so stupid as to taking 7 A-levels. Even 5 A-levels is a bit much.

And even Oxbridge says "depth over breadth".

ReputationRep:
      God, and I thought I was bad with 8 Highers I wanted to do! (Like AS levels for people in Scotland basically) but I took 5 in the end cos it turns out I quite like living. That's way too much work, and for what? You do realise you can do A-level courses at colleges and stuff once you've left school? :lol:

(Original post by RedJimmy)
        What, Maths, Further and a bit of Stats or something? I wouldn't bother, there are only a couple of uni's that even require further to do a Maths degree - never mind wasting your time with 'triple' Maths. Also, that many A-levels is not really achievable by anyone with a healthy social life, and you may well end up going bald and dying alone.
        A bit of Stats? Well, if you consider 4 modules a "bit". A-level Additional Further Maths (to get your 18 modules) is basically all the applied modules you haven't done, like Mechanics, Decision, Statistics - sometimes FP3.

ReputationRep:
        If you're doing it because you love the subjects and want to learn them, then there is no problem.

If you're doing it because you think it will help your university application, then leave it. Do 4 or 5 at most.

ReputationRep:
        Triple science

1) It does give you an advantage.
        2) Terrible.
        3) Yes.
        • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
        no, just no, you will not be able to keep up with the work load, pick 4/5 at the most...and stick with it.

ReputationRep:
        Triple science

Nope, complete waste of time. There is more to a person than just academics.

You'll have no life.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by mrt23498)
        Take it from me, I have no frees at all at my school, even if you are smart, that would be stupid. Have you mentioned this to your school? Your sixth form head would just say 'shut up'
        Mine didn't :teehee: You do realise that stunts like these, if they are successful, are very good publicity for the school? I suppose it depends on how much confidence they have in you

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by im so academic)
        A bit of Stats? Well, if you consider 4 modules a "bit". A-level Additional Further Maths (to get your 18 modules) is basically all the applied modules you haven't done, like Mechanics, Decision, Statistics - sometimes FP3.
        Yeah, I'd consider 4 modules of Stats 'a bit' at A-level. Still, if it's not done through a genuine interest in and love for Mathematics then it's absolutely pointless.

ReputationRep:
        I don't understand why people do 5, 6 or 7 A-levels; universities want 4 at the most so what is the point, you will probably end up unemployable anyway because you would have no life other than reading books; so no people skills or experience.

If you really want to do more than most people do, 4 or 5 is probably the absolute maximum. If you did four hours of each subject a week your timetable would be pretty full.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by medbh4805)
        Mine didn't :teehee: You do realise that stunts like these, if they are successful, are very good publicity for the school? I suppose it depends on how much confidence they have in you
        He'll have a whole load of As and Bs. My school thought I was crazy doing 5 AS.

ReputationRep:
        I think its completely feasible. Triple math + physics and mandarin will take very little of your time.

Chemistry, biology, Econ and History will kill u timewise.

ReputationRep:
        Rip :e:e:e:e:e:e:e

ReputationRep:
        With all sciences I think it'd be fine tbh, particularly since, in reality, you're only studying six.
        *awaits unstoppable flood of downward thumbs*

ReputationRep:
        Hell no!
        • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
        if you think you can get as good grades as you could if you did 4, then go for it. if not, then don't waste your time.

it is possible though, my friend is doing chemistry, physics, maths, further maths, german, french A2, economics, and also doing STEP and SATs, at the same time as rowing several times a week, and having a job. so don't say it like its impossible guys

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.