Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WOW Clegg is whipped!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f00ddude)
    wow, that was hilarious! omfg my sides, im am literally rolling on the floor laughing my arse off, oh no, your hilariousness made me crap myself
    I fail to see how it's funny to be honest :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Finally we have a government that doesnt give the people what they want. We now have a sensible government whos interested in the economy and the rights of individuals. Theirs to many people going to uni and not enough money to pay for them all so raising fees will cut the numbers and bring the uni's back to what they once were...a great education for few people and it will actually mean something again. Well done Dave Cameron and Nick Clegg for putting some backbone in the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    This tbh.

People are going on at me about joining protests, making a stand etc.... my fees have been covered since day one and I'm leaving university for good after my MSc.

Why should I care?
    We must have forgotten the whole world revolves around you...

ReputationRep:
    I love how Clegg has gone from being the darling of students to public enemy number one.

ReputationRep:
    The reason that people care about changes to HE funding which don't affect them (or people they care about) directly is because of the impact this will have on the whole of society.

Most people (I don't have figure to back that up, it's just my guess) want to live in a society in which access to Higher Education is based on the student's ability to engage with it, not on their ability to pay, whether they like marmite, which football team they support or any other irrelevant factor. They also want the HE institutions to be of a high quality. This is because these two considerations impact on the whole of that society, not just students and graduates. The main difference of opinion is how best to achieve these aims.

Of course, this is a simplification. I'm sure there are less selfish reasons for taking an interest in what happens to the rest of humanity, but I'm not the best person to explain them :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
    :eek:

Actually, voting for or abstaining breaks the election pledge, which was a promise to vote against any measures to increase fees.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    I never thought I would say this, but I agree with Nick. **** all you political ideologists, he's a bloody realist - I mean the Lib Dems are in government for christ's sake. Nick Clegg **** YEAH!!

ReputationRep:
    This tbh.

People are going on at me about joining protests, making a stand etc.... my fees have been covered since day one and I'm leaving university for good after my MSc.

Why should I care?

You should care as a responsible member of society. You should care because the people who will be affected don't get a say. The 16 year olds at the last general election who will be worst hit by this (the first year it will affect and therefore the least prepared) didn't even get a say in who made the decision.

ReputationRep:
    This tbh.

Why should I care?
    too poor to cover your own fees?

(Original post by technik)
      too poor to cover your own fees?
      Nope, just Scottish

ReputationRep:
      Nope, just Scottish
      Most people in scotland leave to live in england lol. Theirs only one good uni in scotland and thats St Andrews.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by f00ddude)
      wow, that was hilarious! omfg my sides, im am literally rolling on the floor laughing my arse off, oh no, your hilariousness made me crap myself
      I also wanted to point out that the reason he's voting for this is literally because he's whipped. My guess is that the two terms come from a similar point.

However, in a more general sense, you miss the point. The Lib Dems are in a coalition as junior partners. They got less seats than they had previously, so why should they necessarily have a larger role in directing government policy? They're very lucky to be in the position they're in, and whilst I don't support the vast majority of Conservative Party policy, they have the most seats in Parliament and thus the biggest mandate to legislate. The Lib Dems have a duty to balance their agenda with a duty to allow parliament to function. Thus, Nick Clegg is 'whipped' by his mandate to follow through with the coalition agreement, where much more important, longer lasting, further-reaching Liberal policies were implemented (such as the pupil premium). As a compromise, this was the one significant area where concessions were made on his part. Maybe he has just changed his mind; people do that. Politicians shouldn't simply be elected on an ability to predict the future; their judgment is also necessary, and circumstances do change. I feel very sorry for Clegg; he's being criticized for something which is pretty much out of his control, by people who don't really understand the nature of a coalition.

ReputationRep:
      I love how Nick Clegg has become enemy number one! He should never had made the promise (or joined with the conservatives for that matter).

Has anyone seen that group on Facebook? Why did Nick Clegg cross the road? Because he said he wouldn't! made me laugh a lot!!

ReputationRep:
      Anyone who thinks that Nick Clegg and the Liberal Democrats are having no influence in government need look no further than Ken Clarke's announcements yesterday. You really think we'd be getting that under a Tory only government? If there's a sign that a coalition has reached a good compromise, it's that the far ends of both parties are getting annoyed with it. And that is certainly the case on the Tory side.

The coalition has been and will continue to be a good deal for the Lib Dems and for Clegg.

ReputationRep:
      Just heard him on 5 Live this morning - He did his best but just not convincing....

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.