Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I had a chubby boyfriend a few years back, and now a really skinny one. Just don't think i've ever seen a decent 'muscly' guy around uni, when I'm out etc. Would not say no to Jake Gyllenhaal in Prince of Persia though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glowy Amoeba)
    When women conceive children, they start to look for males that have that skinnier "nice guy" look and will more likely to be loyal and a good father and provider. It's only for reproduction that the muscle bound bad boy is needed. The use of contraceptive pills means that women feel like they are pregnant when in fact the pill prevents that from occurring. Hence, since the 1960's a taste for skinnier, more effeminate men has slowly developed and since it is exported in the media it has become an accepted norm.

But of course in practice if you present a girl with a toned and built body there will be no questions asked.
    One of the most ridiculous things I've ever read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeylfc1989)
    One of the most ridiculous things I've ever read.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/376321.stm

Women will choose less genetically healthy but more cooperative and faithful males to raise the child, hence the preference for less butch men at certain menstrual times or when there is progeny that needs to be taken care of.
    To actually conceive kids they like strong men.

Basically the bad boys get all the fun and the nice guys are left to clean the diapers

sorry if my initial post was worded confusingly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glowy Amoeba)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/376321.stm

Women will choose less genetically healthy but more cooperative and faithful males to raise the child, hence the preference for less butch men at certain menstrual times or when there is progeny that needs to be taken care of.
    To actually conceive kids they like strong men.

Basically the bad boys get all the fun and the nice guys are left to clean the diapers

sorry if my initial post was worded confusingly
    Oh right, it's interesting but it's more likely a hormonal thing. That article makes it sound like some evolutionary theory which sounds ridiculous.

Choosing feminine looking men because they're more loyal? Ambitious theory that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeylfc1989)
    Oh right, it's interesting but it's hormonal thing. That article makes it sound like some evolutionary theory which sounds ridiculous.

Choosing feminine looking men because they're more loyal? Ambitious theory that.
    It sort of makes sense because masculine men tend to be viewed as more attractive overall and so have a much greater chance of being disloyal womanizers. Bad news for a woman to be dumped and stuck with kids.

Edit: basically the feminine men are not more loyal, they just don't have a choice

ReputationRep:
    i like a man in good shape
    skinny is bad, but too muscly is bad also.
    i like big arms and stuff like that, but if you got such a muscly and toned body because of spending 24/7 in the gym then that is unattractive and makes me vomit.

also i do think a little bit of meat on a guy is hot (not the same as being fat).

^ i do think the guy on the front has a hot body.

^ this is also the type of body i like in a guy. really hot.

oh yeah, just in case i forgot to mention, OVERLY TOP MUSCLY GUYS MAKE ME SICK!

ReputationRep:
    'These days'? I've never been a fan of the body builder look, myself

I reckon it's a bit more simple than is being made out here. [Most] women people don't like people who take themselves too seriously. The type of man who spends hours on end mindlessly lifting weights to make himself "more buff" can only possibly be taking himself far, far too seriously. Though I'm entirely unconvinced that women prefer skinny, effeminate looking emo boys either. Girls maybe, from early teens to early 20s, but not women. In my experience, adult women prefer men who are naturally physically well built (without gyming it up like a ****) and don't spend all day preening little spikes into their hair (or cultivating that stylish, floppy, poofy look... depending on whether we're examining chav gymboys or Uni gymboys), and look a bit rough without looking too unclean.

The media portrayal (incorrectly identified by some in this thread as being synonymous with the social norm) is almost completely skewed, as the media is 99% focused on tweenage Twilight fans.

In other news... this picture is both inexplicable, and hilarious! LOL! What is even occurring here??

(Original post by Redkicker)

ReputationRep:
    Fat men are only sought after when it's cold out.

ReputationRep:
    Muscles :drool:

ReputationRep:
    i duno bout other girls ... but i like lads that are built i love lads with a rugby player body just the whole big arms nice pecs etc etc " drools "
    i like toned lads ... that and being tall dark and handsome is very attractive to me omg throw in like 2 or 3 day old stubble and thats just sex on legs hehe

im not into the whole anabolic steriod 6 pack look .. its not a turn on like with veins popping out on their forehead look

i wouldnt go for someone lanky though either

ReputationRep:
    I didn't spend hours in the gym for no reason :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    I didn't spend hours in the gym for no reason :mad:
    I can guarantee you spend more time on TSR than I do in the gym

ReputationRep:
    Women don't hate muscles - they hate two things that can be related to muscles.

1) Number one rule is (face > body)
    Some guys can spend however many hours down the gym you want, YO STILL FUGLY! - Some guys are in denial of this fundamental law of reality. They cry "waaaaah I have all these muscles and still no pussy, the only explanation I can think of is that girls prefer pansy men and it's not my massive ugly face"

2) Secondly, (Personality > body)
    Men who only talk about supplements, and the fat in cottage cheese and different types of squats and how many reps he did last week blah blah. Girls don't give a flying **** about that ****! - it's the equivalent of having a girlfriend who cries about her bum size and counts the calories in her diet coke breakfast, refuses to eat when you take her out for a nice romantic meal.

If a man is muscular without exhibiting either of these qualities then no girl is complaining! :drool:

ReputationRep:
    I like muscle just not over the top beefy muscle! Toned is fine! I guess I associate beefy-ness with major vanity and the guy spending more time in the mirror than me!

ReputationRep:
    I don't prefer 'fat and squishy' men, I just don't like ridiculous muscles. I'm fairly squeamish so things like veins that come with a lot of super muscly men are really not attractive. I prefer athletic and healthy.

ReputationRep:
    Fat and squishy? Eww..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hidden_desire)
    I have nothing against muscles. I just dont like it when its over- done, like when they're bulging with muscles. Otherwise, nice, built arms are gooood :love:

Fat and squishy? Naah.
    Ditto :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    the pill has something to do with it, there are studies out that suggest the pill affects women's partner selection depending on their menstrual cycle. When they are on the pill they desire skinny effeminate men, when off they desire more masculine men.

Cant reproduce so what's the need for a highly fertile alpha male? Might as well go for a white knight beta feminine *******.

ReputationRep:
    Women prefer effeminate men, with next to no muscle mass, skinny jeans and long hair.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.