Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How representative is TSR of the student generation? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jolteon)
    angst ridden? try harder bro.
    What are you doing on here with 190+ posts if you hate TSR and everything it represents?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    What are you doing on here with 190+ posts if you hate TSR and everything it represents?
    who on earth said i hated it? its way better than tv.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    All I've been hit by since coming to uni is a wave of ditzy girls and fake rudeboys from the Home Counties. And this is like the 12th-place uni, I believe.
    That actually makes me slightly more optimistic tbh haha. Fake rudeboys? Seriously thought that was just a London thing.

ReputationRep:
    angst ridden? try harder bro.
    "I dislike TSR. Allow me to demonstrate this by signing up and posting as much as I can."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    too many muslims not enough jews
    Yet again, a highly predictable response from Broderss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    I swear everyone on TSR thinks that everyone else on TSR doesn't have a social life because they are on TSR, yet they know full well they themselves have good social lives despite being on TSR. Weird...

(Sorry chemical_bex, so said it wasn't true but my point remains the same because it crops up on every thread like this. Also I've assumed you have social lives...)
    I don't have a social life, lol. My life consists on food, work, tsr. I'm happy to admit how sad I am :cool:
    I just hope everyone else is as cool as me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adilmorrison)
    I wouldn't say it attracted weirdos necessarily, but I would say that it is quite representative of the people that I've come across at my uni. Also, so people are different in real life to the way they come across online... Some people have a habit of saying things they would never say in person!
    OMG what uni do you attend, I'm guessing higher in the league table? Do you enjoy this sort of attitude or do you feel the urge to kick people? lol. I totally agree with your point about people acting differently online.

ReputationRep:
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mujeriego)
    "I dislike TSR. Allow me to demonstrate this by signing up and posting as much as I can."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    I don't have a social life, lol. My life consists on food, work, tsr. I'm happy to admit how sad I am :cool:
    I just hope everyone else is as cool as me
    Ok. Maybe I'm wrong then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mally-xo)
    well I think the main reason people probably find this forum (myself included) is because they were googling for academic reasons and located this site so yeah, they probably are quite academic people, seeking extra advice for their futures.

but I know what you mean; I can hold a good conversation, but only about music/films/college/work/travel etc as don't really have much of a developed opinion on politics yet, or religion or race etc. I see some of the threads on here and I am like 'what?'
    Yeah, thats how I came across the site too, academic reasons. Thats why I thought since a wide variety of people are interested in academics, maybe TSR is a good representation of a broad range of students. But it hopefully doesn't work that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    I don't think it's very representative at all.
    The majority are high achievers who usually succeed in obtaining a string of As and A*s, and the vast majority go to quite high ranking prestigious universities.

In terms of the people I know in real life, while a few achieve As but the majority get Bs,Cs and Ds. In terms of where people are applying to university most of them are hoping to stay in Sheffield and/or apply to the polytechnics (nothing wong with them) which are usually sneered upon here.

Overall I see tsr as quite neeky and elitist BUT it is also a place of invaluable support and advice.
    Yeah, this is like my view, sounds a bit like London ( majority with average grades, use of the word 'neeky' lol). Thanks for giving me a little insight into Sheffield, might apply there.

ReputationRep:
    and i would sayt tghat this is because students are always on the internet now, TSR is simply a bigger, less explored facebook for them, a place where there actually are over 400 people to talk to [not the 400 friends you'll never speak to] and "connect with" - its a place where attention-starved can broadcast their lives to an audience that is established and teeming with life. it is also a place where the social rejects can congregate, a place where your fugly face is meaningless behind the mask of scarlett johannsson or david tennant, a place where you can be attractive just by expressing opinions that are a little different to the norm.
    Haha social rejects, that made me lol.
    And wow I like your writing style, thats really deep. Thanks for the insight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennaz77)
    OMG what uni do you attend, I'm guessing higher in the league table? Do you enjoy this sort of attitude or do you feel the urge to kick people? lol. I totally agree with your point about people acting differently online.
    I go to UCL... I feel the urge to kick people all the time! I'm from South London, so most of my friends at uni have tended to be people who are also from London! I don't tend to mix with the obnoxious people... You'll find them where ever you go! You just have to avoid them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingBro)
    Too many middle class whites.
    This

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adilmorrison)
    I go to UCL... I feel the urge to kick people all the time! I'm from South London, so most of my friends at uni have tended to be people who are also from London! I don't tend to mix with the obnoxious people... You'll find them where ever you go! You just have to avoid them!
    Well done for going to such a good uni! I can imagine you wanting to kick people lol, if I ever met some of the people on TSR offline...
    I'm actually slightly surprised, and a bit scared, that these obnoxious people are Londoners. I haven't come across too many yet but I'll watch out. Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    Only the portion who seem to mostly think if you don't go to a top-end uni you'll fail at life no matter what you do.

Other than that you get some cool people with interesting conversation

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.