The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Got AABB Alevels, any chance of getting in for International Relations @ St Andrews??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by d123
OP -it's possibly worth applying, although bear in mind it's unlikely you'll get an offer as IR at St Andrews is very competitive (I was considering applying there last year). So long as you also apply to a few slightly more realistic options though, you might as well give it a go. After all, you've got nothing to lose.

I'm applying to Newcastle, LSE, Edinburgh and Manchester apart from St Andrews. All of these ask for AAB. I think that's realistic, right?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 21
Original post by Lusine
I'm applying to Newcastle, LSE, Edinburgh and Manchester apart from St Andrews. All of these ask for AAB. I think that's realistic, right?

I'd advise caution with Edinburgh - I'd imagine IR is the same as most other arts subjects, in that what they actually look for is a lot higher than the published entry requirements - these are a minimum standard. It might be worth applying for somewhere that asks for ABB as a safety net, although as you already have your grades unis may be more likely to give you an offer.
Original post by Lusine
Unless I apply straight for IR and get in right? In the catalogue it also says that those are for guidance only, and they consider everyone on individual merits, particularly PS...so I have hope.

Plus SD is not really something I want to do, so I'd rather not apply for it.

I think if you're really really keen and feel your PS is very strong then you might aswell go for it.
Although I too think the likelihood of you getting an offer is very slim, unfortunately.
You should bear in mind what Sambo2 said about the prerequisites being at AAA to study IR in first year so if you were unable to study IR as an arts student, it makes me wonder how you can study IR at all..

But whatever you choose to do I wish you the best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending