The Student Room Group

AQA AS French January 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Oh yeah whoops! Haha :P I am thinking about my History exam 2mro :P I think the same rule applies for AQA? Dunno, I read TSR rules.
Reply 21
Hey i also took the French AS paper today and did the stress question. For context I wrote about what make young people stressed: school, peer pressure, media, university applications etc and then i wrote about how to avoid stress: having a healthy diet, getting enough sleep, having an outlet e.g. sport, music, dance etc also said it was important to ask for help otherwise people can suffer from problems if they dont manage their stress, e.g eating disorders drug abuse and stuff. think i went a little overboard but i am so desperate to get and A*.

What did you guys write? im stressed just thinking about it!

xx
Original post by redsox5

Original post by redsox5
What kind of content did people put down for the stress essay?

Same as Laurynpipe really just basic causes and possible solutions :smile:
Reply 23
Ok the time limit is over :P I NEED ANSWERS! I can't wait til March for results lol :P
Can't even remember answers now haha but it'd be good if someone posted them :P
Reply 25
I actually went through the paper with my teacher the day after the exam. The answers may not be perfect so feel free to contribute and I shall edit.

??? = can’t remember answer/question/both

LISTENING

Les portables
1. Banning of mobile phones in French primary schools
2. Short term causes: headaches, memory troubles, tiredness (my teacher said that it was better to put tiredness than fatigue because it's similar to the French so they might be harsh when marking)
3. Long term causes: depression, provoke sleep problems, risk of brain damage
4. The unions were against the decision because they did not want teachers having to open and check kids’ bags for mobile phones - extra work to do.

Le fast food - Florine, Noémie et Liam
1. N - L’obesité
2. F - C’est convenient pour le gens qui ont un peu de temps
3. L - Il offre un choix de nourriture
4. F - L’environnement
5. L - La cuisine locale
6. ??? - Ce n’est pas très pas varié
7. F - Il offre des nourritures à prix raisonnables
8. N - Les enfants et les repas
9. L - Il détruit les repas de famille traditionnelle
10. N - Le restaurant de fast food près de collèges

L'enfant parfait
1. AE (le travail scolaire et les loisirs)
2. AD (sévère et anxieux)
3. ACE (sincère, heureux et bilingue)

Les paparazzi
My teacher could see why I was so confused with this section. The way the questions were asked was awkward but the context was okay to understand. There were no complicated vocabulary in the text.
1. Ils utilisent divers méthodes et en secret, ils prennent des fotos de célébrités contre leur volonté (my teacher explained that the first paragraph really didn’t answer the first question. I thought it didn’t either but I wrote those down anyway)
2. Pour rapporter une fortune s’il réussi dans un magasin
3. C’est intolerable (got suspicious with this because it was in the next question, teacher thought it was fine)
4. Don’t remember the exact sentence but it was about when the paparazzi are outside her house eating sandwiches and they even take pictures of her when she takes out the trash.
5. Her friend had a car accident in Paris when a man jumped in front of the car to try and get a good picture of her. Luckily, she wasn't injured.

READING

Le spectacle de talents
1. une contorsionniste
2. une chanteuse
3. un magicien
4. un ventriloque
5. un groupe de danse
6. ??? (Was there another act?)
7. un chien dansant
8. un comique
Question order/quantity may be wrong.

Le narguilé
1. ND - Doesn’t mention whether Dany smokes 20 a day
2. F - Le narguilé isn’t a drink, it’s a smoke pipe thing
3. V - He did lose a lot of clients after the smoking ban
4. V - He thinks it’s legal to smoke pipe inside his cafe
5. F - Smoke piping isn’t less dangerous than cigarettes
6. F - Both the owner and clients pay the fine, not just the owner
7. V - He has gained new clients
8. ND - Location of cafe isn’t mentioned

Le mode
1. professionnelle
2. chambre
3. croissance
4. afordables
5. cadets
6. renouvelées
7. image
8. sacs
9. peau

Les conseils sur les relations
1. écrire une lettre
2. Getting a friend to ask her out
3. Pretty much the last two sentences of the second girls’ advice
4. Same as above but for the last girl

Les verbes et les adjectifs
1. aura
2. existe
3. peuvent
4. internacionaux
5. venus
6. battu
7. beaux
8. vanter
9. londonienne
10. créative

So there you go, the unofficial mark scheme for French AS unit 1.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Wow thanks! I seem to have done a bit better than I thought :tongue:

With regards to the Le narguilé question...
I thought question 4 was he thinks its ILLEGAL to smoke pipe in the cafe --- so I put f, but I may be wrong?
And also with question 8 I thought the question was the cafe is under police surveillance, and I but F because it said they have better things to do in the 'quartier' - ie area. But probably wrong there too!!!

For Le Spectacle de Talents, the other talent was un cracheur de feu --> a fire breather :/
Reply 27
Original post by isrox08
Wow thanks! I seem to have done a bit better than I thought :tongue:

With regards to the Le narguilé question...
I thought question 4 was he thinks its ILLEGAL to smoke pipe in the cafe --- so I put f, but I may be wrong?
And also with question 8 I thought the question was the cafe is under police surveillance, and I but F because it said they have better things to do in the 'quartier' - ie area. But probably wrong there too!!!

For Le Spectacle de Talents, the other talent was un cracheur de feu --> a fire breather :/

No problem, glad to help.
Q4 definitely said, "According to Dany, it is legal to smoke pipe inside" because he mentions something about smoking being banned and it doesn't apply to le naguilé.
Q8 said, "His cafe is opposite the police station" but the location of the cafe is not mentioned. The two policemen warned Dany to look out for any illegal activity around his cafe because the quarter has better things to do.
I'm certain that un cracheur de feu wasn't one of the correct answers, argh it's annoying me that I've forgotten the other act! And I got full marks in this section!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
In attempt to help fill some of the gaps, chocoyo, i believe the thrid point for "les portables" was fatigue, the final act for "les spectables" was un chanteur (as i realised i almost selected the wrong gender for my answer!) and one of the verbs was definitely pouvoir, i cannot remember in which form however.

And i also did stress, my points consisted of
1. pressure to succeed (school, advertising)
2. personal events (divorce, death)
3. relationships amongst others (eg friendships, arguments)

i then went on to mention that many young people drink or take drugs to combat stress, but this is coutner prductive. solutions included
1. exercise
2. talking with others
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Or perhaps not, was there 9? There was certainly "un cracheur de feu" :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by eswift
In attempt to help fill some of the gaps, chocoyo, i believe the thrid point for "les portables" was fatigue, the final act for "les spectables" was un chanteur (as i realised i almost selected the wrong gender for my answer!) and one of the verbs was definitely pouvoir, i cannot remember in which form however.

YES it was fatigue! Thank you for jogging my goldfish memory!
Not too sure about un chanteur for the last question, not even sure if that's the right number of questions in this section.
I'm quite certain that un comique was the last answer.
Ah yeah that's right it was pouvoir, it was meant to be in the peuvent form.
Merci beaucoup.
Reply 31
any ideas what the grade boundaries will be?
Reply 32
what kind of length was your essay?? I wrote heaps :/ hopefully I won't get marks knocked off for that? wrote about 450 words..... oops
I agree with (sorry can't be bothered to quote) whoever says le fire eater wasn't a correct answer - it was a choice but nobody was one. I'm pretty sure the singer was a woman so chanteuse was used but chanteur wasn't. I'm pretty sure there were two answers which weren't used and they were chanteur and fire eater.

internacionaux - what does this even mean? and what was the given word for it in the question.

for question 8 on le narguile I am CERTAIN it was ND because the location was never mentioned. As for the bit about the police, they said that he (the owner) was told by (I think two) policeman that they weren't watching him because they had better things to be doing in the quarter.

Working back I think 3 on fast food was Liam, he spoke last and said they offered a good choice of food.

and finally way back on question 1 part 4 I think the emphasis by the union was the teachers didn't want to HAVE to open the bags and check. e.g. they couldn't be bothered to have to do extra work. But the answers still the same, whatever their reasoning.

Did anyone do this for the first time or was it all retakers? I got a B on this in June but my speaking dragged it up to nearly an A so I retook so that it will be easier to get an A on A2 (thats the plan anyway)
(edited 13 years ago)
Oh and just seen the last bit of the mark scheme, I'm pretty sure the advice was for him to get a friend to do it for him. (ask her out)
and, finally,

Original post by DROGB
what kind of length was your essay?? I wrote heaps :/ hopefully I won't get marks knocked off for that? wrote about 450 words..... oops

my teacher said just write loads and loads and loads but don't ramble.
All of the marks (Quality of Language, Accuracy etc etc) are limited by the content mark, so if the content mark is low then the others will be as well resulting in a low mark overall.

So I think you did good. I certainly filled the double page spread and then some. (I think - so many exams I can't remember one from the other - I certainly wrote loads - I finished the listening and reading in about 45 mins, spent a while picking and planning a writing and then over an hour writing it so fingers crossed- writing is my worst part.)
Reply 36
Original post by mathsmusicfrench
I agree with (sorry can't be bothered to quote) whoever says le fire eater wasn't a correct answer - it was a choice but nobody was one. I'm pretty sure the singer was a woman so chanteuse was used but chanteur wasn't. I'm pretty sure there were two answers which weren't used and they were chanteur and fire eater.

I'm also certain with this, I remember not using those two acts in the question.

internacionaux - what does this even mean? and what was the given word for it in the question.

It's the masc plural form of international. It was "...tous les (masc plural noun, forgotten what it was) internacionaux". Even though I forgot the noun, the tous should be a good enough clue.

for question 8 on le narguile I am CERTAIN it was ND because the location was never mentioned. As for the bit about the police, they said that he (the owner) was told by (I think two) policeman that they weren't watching him because they had better things to be doing in the quarter.

Yes it was ND and there were two policemen.

Working back I think 3 on fast food was Liam, he spoke last and said they offered a good choice of food.

and finally way back on question 1 part 4 I think the emphasis by the union was the teachers didn't want to HAVE to open the bags and check. e.g. they couldn't be bothered to have to do extra work. But the answers still the same, whatever their reasoning.

Merci.

Did anyone do this for the first time or was it all retakers?

Retaker because I was few marks off an A last year.

Oh and just seen the last bit of the mark scheme, I'm pretty sure the advice was for him to get a friend to do it for him. (ask her out)

Merci beaucoup pour vos réponses.
Reply 37
I got assuré instead of bilingual for the question on 'perfect child'.
Reply 38
Original post by knit-knots
I got assuré instead of bilingual for the question on 'perfect child'.

Nope it was definitely bilingual, she talks about languages at least once. Nothing was mentioned about being assured.
Reply 39
Original post by Chocoyo
Nope it was definitely bilingual, she talks about languages at least once. Nothing was mentioned about being assured.

No, it said something like Je voudrais mes enfants être assuré à l'école, par exemple, parler deux langues comme français et espagnols est ....something like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending