Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rock Music Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    what the .. no ones even mentioned to add to the lists ..lynyrd skynyrd?? tom petty? eric clapton?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheylan)
    how was my post not polite? i said nothing to offend you :confused:

cheers which of those bands would you not consider rock?
    Well, they all have their roots in rock (one way or another), but most of them have diverged away from the synonymous rock "sound" (of, for example The Who's). A good example would be Led Zeppelin vs Radiohead. Even though Led skirts and sometimes crosses over into the hard and heavy.

I can't remember where I read/saw this exactly, and I can't even be sure if I did hear it, but it's like John Lydon said;

"Simon and Garfunkel? Rock? Here's the bloody Sex Pistols".

Something about Lydon complaining how S&G were being classified as rock. Although, the same could probably be said today. I went to a "rock" night; oh look all they are playing is heavy metal (unfortunately no Black Sabbath). Sure they played The Doors, but I was the only one going mental on the dance floor.

It sure is a big genre.

ReputationRep:
    The Beatles
    The Rolling Stones
    The Who
    The Velvet Underground
    Led Zeppelin
    Black Sabbath
    The Doors
    Jefferson Airplane
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    David Bowie
    Pink Floyd
    The Stooges
    Bruce Springsteen
    Pixies
    The Smiths
    The Cure
    REM
    Interpol
    The xx
    Pulp
    Pavement
    Neutral Milk Hotel
    The Stone Roses
    Oasis
    Radiohead
    Kasabian
    Doves
    The Verve
    I Am Kloot
    Modest Mouse
    Arcade Fire
    The Libertines
    You got some good in there and some ****. But more good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    Well, they all have their roots in rock (one way or another), but most of them have diverged away from the synonymous rock "sound" (of, for example The Who's). A good example would be Led Zeppelin vs Radiohead. Even though Led skirts and sometimes crosses over into the hard and heavy.

I can't remember where I read/saw this exactly, and I can't even be sure if I did hear it, but it's like John Lydon said;

"Simon and Garfunkel? Rock? Here's the bloody Sex Pistols".

Something about Lydon complaining how S&G were being classified as rock. Although, the same could probably be said today. I went to a "rock" night; oh look all they are playing is heavy metal (unfortunately no Black Sabbath). Sure they played The Doors, but I was the only one going mental on the dance floor.

It sure is a big genre.
    John Lydon a punk? Doing an advert for butter?

And I agree with you that of course rock is a huge genre- and accordingly each sub-genre is very different but still 'counts'. Obviously folk rock (S&G) is not the same as punk, is not the same as progressive, etc, etc. Early 'rock and roll' isn't exactly the same as Zeppelin, but that's how it started, and it still has a place under the umbrella term 'rock'.

It would be a hard and presumptuous thing to do to try and define what we should classify as 'rock', especially if we want to dismiss the originators of the genre because they aren't somehow 'rock enough' now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7.Lillian)
    I love rock music recently. It is so high.
    But I didn't know many rock bands.
    I want to listen a lot of music.
    Can anyone recommend me some rock music?
    Thanks so muck.
    ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!
    30 seconds to mars
    aerosmith
    bon jovi
    Rammstein
    MUSE
    bullet for my valentine
    Biffy Clyro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mally-xo)
    really? sorry I don't meant to be ignorant. but I fail to see how the Beatles are a 'starting point' for metal and rock
    Because they were progenitors of all music as we know it today... they influenced everyone and everything.

ReputationRep:
    The Beatles
    The Rolling Stones
    The Who
    The Velvet Underground
    Led Zeppelin
    Black Sabbath
    The Doors
    Jefferson Airplane
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    David Bowie
    Pink Floyd
    The Stooges
    Bruce Springsteen
    Pixies
    The Smiths
    The Cure
    REM
    Interpol
    The xx
    Pulp
    Pavement
    Neutral Milk Hotel
    The Stone Roses
    Oasis
    Radiohead
    Kasabian
    Doves
    The Verve
    I Am Kloot
    Modest Mouse
    Arcade Fire
    The Libertines
    That would be a good starting point, personally I would get rid of The Libertines, The Verve and The xx as its not really my thing.

I would also add some stuff like The Clash, ramones, Black Flag and Nirvana.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyBeautiful)
    John Lydon a punk? Doing an advert for butter?

And I agree with you that of course rock is a huge genre- and accordingly each sub-genre is very different but still 'counts'. Obviously folk rock (S&G) is not the same as punk, is not the same as progressive, etc, etc. Early 'rock and roll' isn't exactly the same as Zeppelin, but that's how it started, and it still has a place under the umbrella term 'rock'.

It would be a hard thing to do to try and define what we should classify as 'rock', even within bands' material.
    Yes, but I'm not sure what you're getting at...

ReputationRep:
    Heres some of my personal favorites;

Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Led Zeppelin
    Iron Maiden
    Foghat
    Cream
    ZZ Top
    Rolling Stones
    Motorhead
    Metallica
    Black Sabbath
    AC/DC

Theres plenty more i like, i just cant be bothered to write them all up, but generally you cant go wrong with classic hard rock or blues-rock.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.