Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sir Alex Ferguson's reaction to Blackpool game being postponed. Watch

ReputationRep:
    As a United fan from Stretford, I'd rather the southerners pay for Man United merchandise and shirts, and help boost our revenues rather than those of Arsenal or Chelsea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_leeds)
    Hi Glory Hunter

Beckfords through to score at the Stretford End!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm sorry to ask such a horrible question, but are you retarded? If I remember correctly I posted legitimate reasons for me not being a Glory Hunter, and I also remember that Beckford left Leeds last season to go to Everton, so I suggest you get some help with this obsession you seem to have... May I ask, do all you scumbags live in the past?

ReputationRep:
    Im a Crystal Palace SUPPORTER..none of this fan rubbish

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, what Fergie said was more along the lines of "it's bad for our fans from the south" not meaning that all our fans are from the south, but the percentage that are- would struggle to get there. Still a stupid comment though, and nicely twisted from Tyler.

Secondly, I dunno why you feel the need to justify why you support Man Utd, do you really need their approval?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExcessNeo)
    As for your narrow minded attitude that all scousers are scum that is supposedly non-adjustable. Grow up.
    I'm sure that is tongue-in-cheek manc-scouse rivalry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EggmanD)
    Im a Crystal Palace SUPPORTER..none of this fan rubbish
    Charlton > Palarse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raz_Webster_MUFC)
    my grandads' nephew (my dads' cousin) .
    Your cousin once removed then :p: It's easier just to say that.

Why should a southerner support Tottenham, Arsenal or Chelsea. There's not this universal southern identity (just like, despite the myth, I don't feel there is a all encompasing "nothern identity" stretching from Northumberland and Cumbria to the Midlands). If you said they should support a local club then fair enough. I just don't understand why a Bristolian supporting Chelsea is more forgiving than a Bristolian supporting Manchester United?

What about northern Manchester United fans? Why is a Manchester United fan from, say, Newcastle more deplorable than one from London? They both live a fair distance away from Manchester.

Glory supporting is nothing new. But then it shoudn't be assumed that someone who isn't from Manchester/the wider north west but still supports Manchester United is a Glory hunter. That's just as offensive as someone assuming you're a Glory Hunter.

I find this "you need to support your local team" a load of *******s anyway. The number of times that I've been told I should support Newcastle. Why? Because they're my nearest Premiership team? Isn't that just as arbitary? Why not my village's local team, or a semi- professional, non-league closer to me than Newcastle?

ReputationRep:
    River85 and Looking summed up what i was going to post quite well actually. I support Peterborough United and I just so happen to live about 18 miles away from the ground. Many would quickly say I support my local club but how on earth have they come to that? I pass about 4 or 5 different semi-professional and amateur clubs on the way to home games, surely I should be supporting them? This whole "rule" about supporting your local club just seems like rubbish to me, probably made up by fans who feel a bit annoyed by the influx or supporters and are no longer as exclusive as they once were.

Support whoever you want is all I'd say. Watching a game on the TV is little different, bar obviously the experience of going to live matches, than watching it at the ground. Both people are watching the exact same thing. It's like saying someone can't have an opinion on a music album because they weren't there to listen to it when it was being recorded. Be happy you're club has got some support because otherwise it'd be much harder for your club to pay for fancy players for you to watch.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody on here watching the Man Utd vs Valencia game last night?

Andy Gray and Martin Tyler mentioned a Geoff Shreeves interview with Sir Alex Ferguson... Where he apparently said with a straight face "The match, being postponed is probably a good thing, because the majority of our fans journey from the South... I wasn't actually aware that he made such comments and I'm not entirely sure whether he was criticising such people... Either way, I can't help but laugh... I just want to know people's thoughts on SAF's statement.

I personally can't stand such people, as they should surely be supporting a southern team such as Tottenham, Arsenal, West Ham, Chelsea, ... I believe that these people are glory hunters, and get so p***** off that people say because I'm a United fan, I must be a glory hunter... When the truth is, my dads' side of the family are United fans, because my grandads' nephew (my dads' cousin) used to captain United in the 70's... Martin Buchan... I'm 17 years of age and live in St. Helens (a town inbetween Liverpool and Manchester)... The reason for not supporting teams like Liverpool and Everton is that I have always despised scousers, I just hold the very narrow-minded attitude that they are scum (sorry for any offence caused, but I'm at the age where my thoughts cannot be adjusted)... Also, I chose not to support Wigan, because, living in St. Helens, a very successful Rugby town... Wigan are hated where I'm from, so any affiliation with such club would be a sin...
    i.e - I'm not a glory hunter honest. But it's such a touchy subject for me so here is a list of backup statements just to confirm it. I'm not self conscious at all.

Conclusion: You are in fact a glory hunter because by definition it includes just about any Man Utd supporter born in the last 20 years.

For true fans - find young people who follow teams like Everton, Sheffield Wednesday, Fulham or Man City (like me). They support the team because they know what it is to be a fan. Clowns running around in Chelsea and Man Utd shirts should be at least 40 and remember when they were ****.

This TL;DR translation brought to you by technik.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    i.e - I'm not a glory hunter honest. But it's such a touchy subject for me so here is a list of backup statements just to confirm it. I'm not self conscious at all.

Conclusion: You are in fact a glory hunter because by definition it includes just about any Man Utd supporter born in the last 20 years.

For true fans - find young people who follow teams like Everton, Sheffield Wednesday, Fulham or Man City (like me). They support the team because they know what it is to be a fan. Clowns running around in Chelsea and Man Utd shirts should be at least 40 and remember when they were ****.

Well theres that and the fact that most yanited supporters you meet tend to be coots.

ReputationRep:

Ah so by that logic- now you're going to start winnin things, every fan of City born after 2010 will be a glory supporter :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You are (y)

Beckford 0-1
    What about the fa cup last season?
    Hi Glory Hunter

Beckfords through to score at the Stretford End!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The geographical cut off point is the 6 yard box when beckford through on goal
    Adam you absolute hero.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody on here watching the Man Utd vs Valencia game last night?

Andy Gray and Martin Tyler mentioned a Geoff Shreeves interview with Sir Alex Ferguson... Where he apparently said with a straight face "The match, being postponed is probably a good thing, because the majority of our fans journey from the South... I wasn't actually aware that he made such comments and I'm not entirely sure whether he was criticising such people... Either way, I can't help but laugh... I just want to know people's thoughts on SAF's statement.

I personally can't stand such people, as they should surely be supporting a southern team such as Tottenham, Arsenal, West Ham, Chelsea, ... I believe that these people are glory hunters, and get so p***** off that people say because I'm a United fan, I must be a glory hunter... When the truth is, my dads' side of the family are United fans, because my grandads' nephew (my dads' cousin) used to captain United in the 70's... Martin Buchan... I'm 17 years of age and live in St. Helens (a town inbetween Liverpool and Manchester)... The reason for not supporting teams like Liverpool and Everton is that I have always despised scousers, I just hold the very narrow-minded attitude that they are scum (sorry for any offence caused, but I'm at the age where my thoughts cannot be adjusted)... Also, I chose not to support Wigan, because, living in St. Helens, a very successful Rugby town... Wigan are hated where I'm from, so any affiliation with such club would be a sin...
    So you have multiple fathers? And your grandfathers share nephews?
    Really ****ed up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planar)
    So you have multiple fathers? And your grandfathers share nephews?
    Really ****ed up
    Wow, congratulations for picking up on the omission of several apostrophe's... Desperate attempt to get some laughs right there.

ReputationRep:

This just gets better and better... I'm sorry for being born in 1993, I really should have been born 3 years earlier as to meet your bull**** statement!... If you have any respectable knowledge of football, you will realise that United were NEVER a "****" team, it's just that Liverpool were CONSIDERABLY better, which is quite clearly evident by their domination of the English Football League in the 1980's... Surely you must be aware that clearly I am passionate on the subject, something which a Glory Hunter would not, as all they would be interested in is the silverware that the club brings in each season and not what the club stands for... And I could quite easily put the label of being a Glory Hunter to yourself, as for all I know, you may have been influenced by the arrival of Sheik Mansour... But I have enough intelligence not to make such a bold statement, without knowledge of the facts...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Shankly)
    Adam you absolute hero.
    Cleary you are not aware of the definition of a "Hero"... He is far from a Hero, he is an attention seeking individual, who quite evidently, cannot seem to let go of the past... It's such a shame for the lad, he has no hope.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, congratulations for picking up on the omission of several apostrophes... Desperate attempt to get some laughs right there.
    Corrected.
    Actually, there were all there, just in the wrong place. My god the sight of you two whining about glory hunters is amusing - all I see "I am a yob!" "You may be a yob, but I'm a bigger yob!" And so on.

ReputationRep:
    If this is an away game, at Blackpool, what a load of ****e from Fergie. United have the best away support in the country, and it's a completly different set of lads than those who go to Old Trafford these days. If it was at Old Trafford, his statement would probably hold true - thats when you get the sterile, glory-supporting atmosphere of the Southern invasion. But the away support, mostly from Manchester, although there will of course be some travelling from other areas, it's quite a hard-core, Ultra/Hooligan Mob crowd and so, as I say, what Fergie says just aint the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planar)
    Corrected.
    Actually, they were all there, just in the wrong place. My god the sight of you two whining about glory hunters is amusing - all I see "I am a yob!" "You may be a yob, but I'm a bigger yob!" And so on.
    CORRECTED!

Two can play that game!

ReputationRep:
    If I remember correctly I posted legitimate reasons for me not being a Glory Hunter
    No you didn't, you posted reasons you beleive are legitimate...doesn't mean anyone else believes they are, I certainly don't think your excuse is legitimate at all, in fact it just seems you're really, really desperate to try and prove said legitimacy, you've come across increasingly desperate since the OP.

Regardless, I don't understand this whole idea that you should support your local 'Premiership" club...

What a load of **** - you should support your local team [and by local I mean the team local to you when you start following Football] period. Why do they have to be in the Premiership? That's just as bad as being a Manure fan...and it's the kind of attitude slowly killing the lower divisions...

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 4, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.