Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What expensive make up/skin care brands are worth it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    NARS blusher, Biotherm skincare and MAC foundation...all much better than anything else I've used. And nail varnish! I love Essie and OPI, Rimmel Pro isn't that expensive at £4.95 but it's a bit more than most and definitely worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sokissme18)
    ahh i don't know whether to try it now then. there's 15% off at debenhams though making it 20 which isn't so bad
    If you go on www.cheapsmells.com, you can get it for £17.50 which includes delivery. It's a perfectly legit website, I use it all the time for perfume so can't see it would be any different for their cosmetics.

ReputationRep:
    Liz Earle cleanser, exfoliator and moisturiser.
    Bobbi Brown foundation and Lipstick.
    Lancome mascara.
    Chanel powder and blusher.
    And Nails Inc. and Essie for nail polish!

ReputationRep:
    MAC for foundation and Urban Decay for eyeliner (which stays on forever!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ktlaurenroe)
    Avon is really good, and affordable IMO. Their cream to powder foundation is like the only foundation I've found that stays on all day/gives appropriate coverage
    Problem wih Avon is the colour swatches in catalogues- they hardly represent real colours, and I'm saying this as an Avon rep :p: I bought the cream-to-powder foundation but it was just too dark for me (although consistency is best I tried)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AutVinceriAutMori)
    Problem wih Avon is the colour swatches in catalogues- they hardly represent real colours, and I'm saying this as an Avon rep :p: I bought the cream-to-powder foundation but it was just too dark for me (although consistency is best I tried)
    Hmm, I never have to worry about that really, I'm pale enough to just always get Ivory/the lightest colour haha

ReputationRep:
    Dermalogica for moisturiser.

Not sure about foundation as I dont wear it sorry, but I do use a tinted moisturiser by Dermalogica which is great.

I would also say to avoid Clinique. I didnt realise how bad it was making my skin until I stopped using it.

ReputationRep:
    Think of the animals will you !?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ktlaurenroe)
    Hmm, I never have to worry about that really, I'm pale enough to just always get Ivory/the lightest colour haha
    See, thats the problem for me- my tone is medium olive-ish, so most foundations are hard to match :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you want a new foundation I'd recommend either Bobbi Brown or Clinique. I think both these brands for foundations work wonders.
    Other things I'd recommend are:
    Benefit blush in either Coralista or Sugarbomb
    Mac Lipsticks, lots of different colours there and the pay off and lasting power is great
    Urban decay eyeshadow palettes are nice if you don't mind a bit of shimmer or glitter

People at make up counters can be either really helpful and can help give advice on what colours suit you. I love Clinique because I have formed a really good relationship with one of the ladies who works there, and I feel she gives me honest advice and she doesn't put pressure on me to buy anything and sometimes you get samples of stuff when you buy something. Like last time when I bought some foundation and at clinique, I got a free make up bag with a mascara, eyeshadow palette, lipgloss, sample moisteriser and a sample cleanser.

ReputationRep:
    MAC and Bobbi Brown

ReputationRep:
    Clinique is the only moisturiser/foundation I can use since I have really sensitive skin, but I really love the dramatically different moisturiser. It's sooooooo good!

ReputationRep:
    NARS blusher/highlighter duo - they do this great duo, and the colours are beautiful.. Though it's more difficult to get in the UK.

MAC foundation and concealer - i use medium coverage.. though I have the face&body foundation too, which is really light coverage, so perfect for day time use! It comes in a massive bottle (like 3 times the regular size) and is waterproof.. has really good reviews on MUA too!

ReputationRep:
    best foundation- Clinique all the way, perfect for all types of skin. SOO worth the price.
    Best highlighter & Blush- Benefit!!!!
    Best skincare products- CLINIQUE
    best eye shadow- mac
    best mascara- drug store tbh there's no difference between drugstore and the more expensive brands.. i love Rimmel lash accelerator, looks soo natural!

hope i helped!!

ReputationRep:
    I luurrve MAC

ReputationRep:
    Another vote for MAC. Absolutely fantastic, well worth the money (though I only ever buy it as a duty-free treat for myself when I go on holiday). I find that if you have a good skincare routine and really good moisturiser, you can get away with using most cheaper foundations. Using a primer really makes a big difference, too, and the Benefit ones are amazing; they also work for really minimal coverage without foundation.

ReputationRep:
    Mac for foundation, concealer, eye shadows and eye liner.
    Urban decay for funky eye liner and eye shadow primer (this stuff is absolutely fantastic).
    Shu Uemura for loose powder.
    Stilla for sparkly eye shadows.

ReputationRep:
    Bobbi brown foundation ftw!

ReputationRep:
    Chanel foundations are great! or http://www.makeupforever.com/product...oundation.html Make up Forever HD foundation

ReputationRep:
    MAC lip products and eyeshadows. Estee Lauder foundation.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.