Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

single people - do you think you will still be single this time next year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Im currently 17 (I know i don't fit the criteria), and i can quite easily see myself single for the next year. I don't particulary like letting people in, I prefer to keep people distant as i don't really understand other peoples emotion. I also usually upset people by accident.

ReputationRep:
    Most likely yes, unless I get back with my ex for some unknown reason.

ReputationRep:
    It's a probably from me, if I go to university next september then I suppose there's a chance I won't be, it's all down to chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    hi folk

for those of you who are single, over 18, averagely attractive and fairly normal, do you think you will still be single this time next year? the year after?

im attractive but very very [picky and for religious reasons, i dont see the point in dating a guy i wouldnt marry. so as a result, i have very few boyfr's and alot of first dates that go nowhere. ive only had one good bf in the last 7 years (we were together 1 year) and have been single since we broke up 18 mos ago. i expect to date about 6-8 new guys this year, but expect to still be single this time next year since i like very few dudes.

what about you and why? also, state if you are a guy or a femme
    As the male equivalent of you, I can firmly say that I will be single this time next year, and the year after that and so on and so on...

I also feel it difficult to put myself forward, for want of a better phrase, on religious grounds; but also on social grounds. I'm not sure whether I genuinely find 'posher' people more attractive over common people, or if it's just a keeping up appearances thing. When I say posh, I don't necessarily mean upper class, but someone who is refined and well-spoken over someone who has an estuary twang or full on broad accent, whose every other word is a cuss.

Anyway, I digress. If you are genuinely intent on not being single this is where you are going wrong: i expect to date about 6-8 new guys this year

As soppy as this sounds, what chance has love got to blossom if you are too busy meeting targets?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but not because I'm picky or anything, it's more to do with the difficulty of maintaining any relationships. I plan to go travelling next summer so if I meet someone serious before then, either they come with me or it's going to be a LDR for a while. Likewise, if I meet someone while travelling and it's serious, it's going to be another LDR unless they come home with me or I stay there. Of course, I could meet no-one until I finish travelling and come home (which would be easier) but if I meet someone great before then, I'm willing to put in the effort to maintain that relationship.

EDIT: Just saw the OP was asking over 18's, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    i'll b 18 nextime this year..and NO i do not plan to..but then again i dont know..
    planning to go out more change my lifestyle.massive change this year

ReputationRep:
    Probably :emo:

ReputationRep:
    Probably

ReputationRep:
    Me? like the others, probably

(Original post by TrundleThe...?)
      Im currently 17 (I know i don't fit the criteria), and i can quite easily see myself single for the next year. I don't particulary like letting people in, I prefer to keep people distant as i don't really understand other peoples emotion. I also usually upset people by accident.
      You're just the same as me. :sexface:

:awesome:

(Original post by Menakshelatte)
        i'll b 18 nextime this year..and NO i do not plan to..but then again i dont know..
        planning to go out more change my lifestyle.massive change this year
        Ah, so you're not the only one expecting 18 to bring massive changes. :five:

ReputationRep:
        yeah i think so. Im stuck in women only bubbles at the moment so if you dont meet men how you sposed to date them? All the nice men I do know are either gay or taken already so Im just gonna focus on getting into a career now. As for the dating 6-8 guys a year youre one lucky lady cos I sure cant pull that off!

More than likely, to be honest.

Yes I have a feeling that I will be single for many years to come
          I dont find myself attractive though
          Never even kissed anyone and none of the guys at uni are attractive
          So another single year for me
          Im female

ReputationRep:
          I'm 20. Statistically speaking, I'm not going to have another girlfriend for 12 years

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
          Ah, so you're not the only one expecting 18 to bring massive changes. :five:
          haha sorry but the reason i said over 18s is cos i didnt want a bunch of 13 year olds saying 'omgg im 13 and have been single all my life of 13 years whats wronggg with me yea i might be single next year!' like I was single at 13 and there is nothing wrong with not have a bf when you are a kid. but over 18 you are ready to have adult relationships. if you compare the depth of dating now to how yu were 5 years ago you can see what i mean.

a single 18+ year old is probably single for very very different reasons to the average 12 year old

ReputationRep:
          Oooer, deep... well, after my last relationship I was sure I'd be single for a while and not want a relationship again for a long time. Then a couple of weeks ago I met someone pretty amazing who's completely changing my mind, so you really really really don't know what's around the corner!

I'm honestly not sure though, as I'll be (relatively) fresh out of uni and I don't have a clue where I'll be living.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by failingatm)
          Yes, because I'm a douche.

I have this exact same problem. So probably yes.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by mc1000)
          I'm 20. Statistically speaking, I'm not going to have another girlfriend for 12 years
          what?? why?

ReputationRep:
          I hope not but I don't see point in wasting time on people I don't 'really' like

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.