Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Given the choices. A MacBook Pro.

I have a 13" MBP; it's the best laptop i've ever owned.

ReputationRep:
    I have a Macbook Pro "13, my flat mate has a Vaio. He never shuts up about how much more he prefers my laptop to his.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NS17)
    I have a Macbook Pro "13, my flat mate has a Vaio. He never shuts up about how much more he prefers my laptop to his.

/thread
    My Vaio trumps ANY macbooks speed tbh.. so just no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    My Vaio trumps ANY macbooks speed tbh.. so just no.
    Okay, don't get all butthurt about it.

ReputationRep:
    I managed to get the 15% discount and the £130 back-to-school ipod rebate on my macbook pro, made a £1000 laptop work out at around £740 after ebaying the rebated ipod touch. I love my MBP, that said it's the first new computer I've had for ages so maybe others are just as awesome. The main arguments that persuaded me are the reduced virus vulnerability and the free photo/movie editing programs. Also it's REALLY pretty!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goose1990)
    I managed to get the 15% discount and the £130 back-to-school ipod rebate on my macbook pro, made a £1000 laptop work out at around £740 after ebaying the rebated ipod touch. I love my MBP, that said it's the first new computer I've had for ages so maybe others are just as awesome. The main arguments that persuaded me are the reduced virus vulnerability and the free photo/movie editing programs. Also it's REALLY pretty!!
    About what time of the year do they run the iPod offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy07)
    Around August time. Just before the new iPods are released (they do it to get rid of the stock of the older models).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    :facepalm:

You make valid points i'm not going to argue.

But you sit there acting like others are here to start a flame war and such.. yet all you do is say 'sony vaio had better specs ... now let me list loads of reasons why macs are good and say not one more about the vaio' . you contradict your own annoyance of other people.

You cant say .. Right.. here are the facts.
    Then just list facts about one of the items in mention and say hardly anything about the other.
    Having better specs alone makes the computer solidly more viable on a cost effective basis? I am just inserting reasons as to the higher cost, so people dont pointlessly blather on about why it is more expensive just for the logo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy07)
    In summer, ends in september I think.

ReputationRep:
    i having this issue atm over whether i should get a sony vaio s series or a macbook pro. I would probably get the macbook if it was summer and then would do the uni offer thing however i need to replace my current laptop asap so leaning towards the vaio!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alwaysanigel247)
    i having this issue atm over whether i should get a sony vaio s series or a macbook pro. I would probably get the macbook if it was summer and then would do the uni offer thing however i need to replace my current laptop asap so leaning towards the vaio!
    Check out the refurbished mac store if you want a macbook a bit cheaper, i had a huge bargain last christmas on there.
    almost £500 off a macbook pro.
    they're just laptops that people have sent back because they don't want them.
    you do have to check regularly though as they go pretty quick.

ReputationRep:
    For reliability purposes - the Macbook Pro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPMS)
    For reliability purposes - the Macbook Pro.
    Not necessarily true. I've had a fair number of system crashes on my macbook pro as well. I'd say it's less than my older XP laptop but then so far my experience of Windows 7 is much better.

In terms of buying something it's really worth weighing up the features you want and then seeing what's out there you can use. Consider things like memory, CPU, drive space, screen size, screen resolution etc. You might also want to consider the potentially useful features like bluetooth, web cam, lit keyboard etc. You may also want to consider operating system and software.

As my current mbp is getting past it's best I'm starting to look at that process. Currently it's looking like I might end up with another mbp as that seems to be the only hardware that achieves my requirements. (The main stumbling block i'm hitting is a 15-16" screen and decent resolution - I'm used to 1440x900 so 1366x768 isn't going to cut it)

Whilst a macbook pro is a very nicely crafted piece of hardware it's very difficult to do home maintenance on. I've stripped my old Toshiba laptop to clean it out. I tried doing the same on my 4 year old mbp and that was challenging. The newer cases look to be near impossible to do anything with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahaneap)
    It's an easy choice. If you want to pay double the price, just for the logo, get a Mac. If you want a decent computer, don't.
    Agreed. The notion that a Mac makes up for its hefty price with 'reliability' is nonsense. You can get excellent Dells, Alienwares, Sonys, Acers, Asus' etc which are made of good, aluminium bodies, with better screens, buttons and, to top it off, superior hardware. The Apple brand is what is costly, not the 'nonpareil quality'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    Not necessarily true. I've had a fair number of system crashes on my macbook pro as well. I'd say it's less than my older XP laptop but then so far my experience of Windows 7 is much better.

In terms of buying something it's really worth weighing up the features you want and then seeing what's out there you can use. Consider things like memory, CPU, drive space, screen size, screen resolution etc. You might also want to consider the potentially useful features like bluetooth, web cam, lit keyboard etc. You may also want to consider operating system and software.

As my current mbp is getting past it's best I'm starting to look at that process. Currently it's looking like I might end up with another mbp as that seems to be the only hardware that achieves my requirements. (The main stumbling block i'm hitting is a 15-16" screen and decent resolution - I'm used to 1440x900 so 1366x768 isn't going to cut it)

Whilst a macbook pro is a very nicely crafted piece of hardware it's very difficult to do home maintenance on. I've stripped my old Toshiba laptop to clean it out. I tried doing the same on my 4 year old mbp and that was challenging. The newer cases look to be near impossible to do anything with.
    The general case though?

ReputationRep:
    Vaio each and every time if you intend to do any sort of real work.
    If you want to look 'cool' get the macbook.
    Either way your paying way over the odds for pretty standards hardware (or even poor hardware in the Macs case.)

If you love macs, get the vaio and install hackingtosh. If you like macs for anything else other than their OS, you know very little about computers.

ReputationRep:
    If you know how to look after a computer then opt for the Vaio. If you store your files everywhere, install this that and the other, dont bother to do a bit of maintenance then go for the Mac.

I find it amazing how people buy Windows PCs and Laptops think that they are finished after 2 years of not using them. All it takes is a wipe of the system and a few re installations which could be done during one of your hungover days?

A similar analogy is buying a car and not putting any oil, water, pumping the tyres, and cleaning, and the OMG after 2 years your car is ruined, I must buy another one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simstar88)
    If you know how to look after a computer then opt for the Vaio. If you store your files everywhere, install this that and the other, dont bother to do a bit of maintenance then go for the Mac.
    I'm totally anal about where all my files go and i'm certainly careful what i install (illegally)
    I admit i haven't done a fresh install on my iMac in the 3 years i've had it, but it doesn't need one unlike my brothers pc which gets a fresh install every month xD

ReputationRep:
    I've had a Windows laptop and a mac for quite sometime, and in my experience, the mac wins hands down. PCs are great, of course and super quick, but after a few days, VIRUS!!, even with necessary precautions, and after a few months, I was barely even using it.

My Macbookpro on the other hand, it's an old one and I have had it for nearly 3 years and has never failed me. Everything about is crisp and just feels right. it's about 0.000005 seconds slower than my PC but I'm alright with that, and since I'm not much of a game fanatic, I'm satisfied with the gaming available on mac... The Battery is going strong even after these years, still about 4-5 hours after a full charge (maybe I've been lucky, heard some horror stories about other macbookpros) Everything runs smoothly, parallel with windows works perfect and I'll be getting a new one for computer science at Uni.
    I also love the way the interface works, so much more user friendly, everything is organised in a way that you know exactly whats going on. All the apps have great interfaces, I just find it so much cooler than windows, even the utilities have a cool look... ooh I also love the developer tools. I would recommend getting a hard drive to back up files, cause I dropped my macbookpro once and lost most...(not the laptops fault)
    And you have no idea how many hours I've spent on my mac working, so don't listen to people who say that you can't work properly on a mac and is only good for looks, hell I look forward to opening my mac up every time I need to work.

So I don't know about you but I would definitely go for a mac book pro, definitely worth the money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h2shin)
    I've had a Windows laptop and a mac for quite sometime, and in my experience, the mac wins hands down. PCs are great, of course and super quick, but after a few days, VIRUS!!, even with necessary precautions, and after a few months, I was barely even using it.

My Macbookpro on the other hand, it's an old one and I have had it for nearly 3 years and has never failed me. Everything about is crisp and just feels right. it's about 0.000005 seconds slower than my PC but I'm alright with that, and since I'm not much of a game fanatic, I'm satisfied with the gaming available on mac... The Battery is going strong even after these years, still about 4-5 hours after a full charge (maybe I've been lucky, heard some horror stories about other macbookpros) Everything runs smoothly, parallel with windows works perfect and I'll be getting a new one for computer science at Uni.
    I also love the way the interface works, so much more user friendly, everything is organised in a way that you know exactly whats going on. All the apps have great interfaces, I just find it so much cooler than windows, even the utilities have a cool look... ooh I also love the developer tools. I would recommend getting a hard drive to back up files, cause I dropped my macbookpro once and lost most...(not the laptops fault)
    And you have no idea how many hours I've spent on my mac working, so don't listen to people who say that you can't work properly on a mac and is only good for looks, hell I look forward to opening my mac up every time I need to work.

So I don't know about you but I would definitely go for a mac book pro, definitely worth the money.

Macs ARE PC's
    And how can you compare two difference machines, with different software and hardware?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.