Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Non-smokers: would you date someone who smokes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I find it incredibly hot to see a good looking girl smoking. But maybe I'm just a bit weird...

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Also: to the people saying yes, have you lived with someone that has smoked in the past(like a family member)?
    Yeah and it's a disgusting habit. No contest there.

Still don't get why it's attractive but it just is. :confused: Maybe I'm secretly a Frenchman inside lol.

ReputationRep:
    Unlikely to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Also: to the people saying yes, have you lived with someone that has smoked in the past(like a family member)?
    No. nobody in my family ever smoked.

ReputationRep:
    I would.

ReputationRep:
    Weirdly, as a smoker, I probably wouldn't. Not because I find it unattractive or don't like the taste, but if I'm with someone I care about their health and I hate watching them kill themself. I remember when an ex of mine had a cigarette, I hated watching her knownig the damage it was doing. Double standards, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Yes because my boyfriend smoked when I first started dating him. Didn't mind, wouldn't mind if he still did. He has given up for a grand total of two weeks now though

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I wouldn't. Whenever I walk past a smoker I hold my breath. I hate the smell.

ReputationRep:
    Yeps, my mom and dad smoke, a lot of family members especially on my dads side smoke, two of my housemates last year did and one of my housemates this year does. I think thats made me more tolerant of it! Its thieir choice at the end of the day, as long as it isn't infringing on anyone else. Last year my smoker housemates had to smoke outside or in their rooms, this year we've allowed it in the living room, though.

ReputationRep:
    Unlikely. Only if I really like them or thought they might give it up/I could get them to give it up.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    If possible, no.
    I've dated a smoker in the past and it was hideous, even when he'd had gum after a fag I could still taste it when we kissed :puke:

However, if I really really like a guy I guess I might just about put up with it, but he would have to be mega perfect in every other way!

I pulled a smoker in a club once. You can literally taste the difference, and not in a good way.

So no.

ReputationRep:
      Yes, what does it matter, haha? It just so happens that all the smokers I know are disgusting and I wouldn't go out with them, but I wouldn't say I'd never go out with a smoker.

ReputationRep:
      no I wouldn't and I couldn't. the smell is just *puke*

ReputationRep:
      Yeah, sure. I really quite like the smell and it's only my own breathing problems that stops me from smoking myself.

That's not to say I find it particularly attractive either, just not off-putting.

ReputationRep:
      I have done, but I hated seeing the damage they were doing to themselves. Plus it's not that nice to be around anyway.

ReputationRep:
      My girlfriend does
      And Tbh You have to be pretty shallow if you reject someone because they smoke alone
      i mean thats like saying your not attracted to someone because of how they look or something
      and i'm probably gonna get a ton of neg rep for this but i do believe that smoking shouldn't be a deal breaker
      after all a smoker can quit
      and it's their choice if they do or don't
      i've been with people who've tried to make me quit before and to be fair i find someone who tries to control me FAR more unnatractive than any smoker.
      Tl;dr It shouldn't be about lifestyle choices but who the person is .

ReputationRep:
      I have gone on a few dates with a smoker previously, and used to smoke socially on occasion, but now I'd probably say no, principally because I know more about the long term risks to them (and me if they smoke around me) and I know I would worry about that.

EDIT: Unless I really really liked them.

ReputationRep:
      If they were kind of enough not to do it in front of me or in my house I wouldn't mind.

Also they'd have to be clean and fresh before any sort of contact (including their breath).

ReputationRep:
      I don't smoke and never have, but I did date a guy who smoked, though he quickly developed a habbit of eating rassberry sweets after smoking, which was fine with me, yummy.

Both my parents used to, so that's probably why it doesn't bother me when people around me smoke, at the end of the day it's their body and their life.

ReputationRep:
      Yes, my boyfriend smokes about 10 a day. Im not bothered, its his decision, and its not like i can taste it when I kiss him. The only thing I dislike is he needs one every hour.. which is annoying when youre having dinner or youre snuggled up on the sofa or amongst family.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 16, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.