Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UCL toff on BBC saying tuition fee rise was GOOD! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    Anyone watch the BBC news this evening?

I was FUMING! He had the audacity to say that he had researched the proposals and that it's the best option.

FUTHERmore, he adds "i 100% guarantee it wont affect access to higher education".

I was outraged. He sounded like an upper to middle class chap and frankly he was insulting my intelligence. I am working class and recently graduated from UCL and i can "guarantee" him that if the fees were £9000 a year, i'd not have gone to university. Many of my fellow *real* working class poor people share this view. This toff on TV has nothing that qualifies him to say how we REAL working class people will make our further education decisions.

Discuss.

why wouldnt you have gone to uni if they were 9G s?

ReputationRep:
    Many of my fellow *real* working class poor people share this view.
    I didn't realise that poor people of Britain all get together at an AGM once a year to discuss their feelings about topical news issues.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that increased fees are a non-issue with regards to access, however I think they are still unnecessary, especially seeing as the government is still going to be shelling out the same amount of money upfront, via the SLC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Complex Simplicity)
    This is one argument that I still don't think holds any water. How can you cut a universities budget by 40% and expect it to compete better abroad? And that 40% cut is not replaced by increasing fees. It would make sense if fees were increased with an increase in funding, then one could argue that 'our universities will get better and still be able to compete' but universities which were already underfunded are now going to be even more so. Yet they'll be better off?

And just to put another spanner into that argument, the countries we're competing against are increasing their higher education budget. So they get better we get worse and yet this policy will make our universities 'world class'?
    Our top level universities still compete on a world scale, only america with $50K tuition fees has better universities. There are over 100 recognised universities. If you cut the funding, so that only the top 20 are gov funded, then you could still cut the cost to the state by 40% and afford to give these few universities ~ double as much funding. That way fee remain the same, gov spends less money and the unis that were already top level get even more funding. The problem with this is eduction in control of the state is restricted to far fewer people.

ReputationRep:
    Lets hope they vote against rises in tuition fees tomorrow. I'm hoping to use David Camerons reaction face as my profile pic.

ReputationRep:

I was FUMING! He had the audacity to say that he had researched the proposals and that it's the best option.

FUTHERmore, he adds "i 100% guarantee it wont affect access to higher education".

I was outraged. He sounded like an upper to middle class chap and frankly he was insulting my intelligence. I am working class and recently graduated from UCL and i can "guarantee" him that if the fees were £9000 a year, i'd not have gone to university. Many of my fellow *real* working class poor people share this view. This toff on TV has nothing that qualifies him to say how we REAL working class people will make our further education decisions.

Discuss.
    So what are you doing now with your degree from UCL?

What is wrong with voicing one's opinion? Just because he didn't say what you wanted him to say. :rolleyes:

And btw, the bit in bold is not only subjective but irrelevant.

ReputationRep:

Discuss.
    The tuition fees do not mean you need to pay more up front, they don't mean you need any more money than anyone else as everyone can get loans covering their tuition fees. You may have decided that the level of debt was not worth you going to university, or that you couldn't 'afford' to pay it back.

While certain working class attitudes about being in debt may stop some working class people from going to university it doesn't mean they can't go. It's not the governments fault that you have a certain attitude, all it has to is make sure you actually can, which it has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    the **** is wrong with you

I accidentally negged rather than pos-ed you sorry! Lucky I have no rep power!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathew551)
    So what are you doing now with your degree from UCL?

What is wrong with voicing one's opinion? Just because he didn't say what you wanted him to say. :rolleyes:

And btw, the bit in bold is not only subjective but irrelevant.
    It's totally relevant because if he is indeed upper to middle class, as i suspect, he has NO idea how proper working class poor people are suffering and will further suffer under these proposals. Only those people at the bottom of the social ladder know what paying 27k instead of 9k is actually like. That's the relevance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TableChair)
    Which is the whole point of student loans. You only pay it off when you earn over a certain amount so you are not saddled with debt, you only pay it back when you can afford to. It really isn't the same as a normal debt, it's more like a small additional tax when you earn over a certain amount, an amount that is much harder to achieve without a degree. From a financial standpoint it makes much more sense for the ordinary person, assuming they're intelligent enough, to go to university. It would be a ridiculous decision to not go to university if the fees were raised to 9k if you would have done were they still 3k.

Your final paragraph is pointless, you would not be saddled with debt if you were unemployed. And the job market is not dead, it's not nigh on impossible to get a job, it's just harder than it was a few years ago.
    i'd be interested to know what social class you are. The bbc went to a rough state comprehensive school yesterday, in Hackney, London. They asked lots of students what they thought of the fees rise. Unsurprisingly not one said it's not affect their plans. The students views ranged from going to cheaper universities, to not going to uni at all! Not one of them said it's not affect their current university plans. A common theme was that a lot of these kids, like myself, said they wouldn't go to university. You have to be poor working class to understand. It's easy enough for people to sit on their high throne looking down at the poor people at thinking what the fuss is about but it really does matter.

ReputationRep:

Discuss.

Edit: Keep the neg rep coming you elitist scum! TSR's true colours are coming up. This forum is full of middle to upper class snobs who don't give two hoots about normal working class people.
    I am not rich or a toff even. I support these proposals and actually think it is progressive and fair. Yes, £9000 is a lot of money but so is £3000. They are a lot of money. Taking into considerations of the coalition policy, this has to be fair and the people benefiting the most, are working class.

ReputationRep:

Discuss.

Edit: Keep the neg rep coming you elitist scum! TSR's true colours are coming up. This forum is full of middle to upper class snobs who don't give two hoots about normal working class people.
    True colors... Sorry...

ReputationRep:
    This is just a slow process in the Conservatives' aim of privatising higher education.

ReputationRep:
    i agree that it will not prevent access to higher education however i disagree with him saying it is the best course of action we should just do what Scotland do that is easily the best course of action

ReputationRep:
    No way, the government has come up with a policy that people actually agree with and that makes sense? What are they playing at! Filthy Tory scum!

Or....

Most people who understand the policy support it because it makes sense for all stakeholders...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    I am not rich or a toff even. I support these proposals and actually think it is progressive and fair. Yes, £9000 is a lot of money but so is £3000. They are a lot of money. Taking into considerations of the coalition policy, this has to be fair and the people benefiting the most, are working class.
    middle and upper class people have £27k in the bank, working class people don't necessarily have this sum available. I don't see how this is a level playing field. Even with the "not paying back till u earn over 27k" this is unfair on poorer people. Why don't they charge rich people 50k and let the poor people have free education? Why!?!?

ReputationRep:
    I think that it's retarded anyway, elitism asides. If you start paying at 21k a year, and you're not paying very much per month, yet the debt and interest is huge then you'd be paying money back for decades potentially - which is more money that doesn't exist yet still being used in the economy and the exact same thing that helped cause this mess.

Nice to see that TSR is full of Tories by the way.

ReputationRep:

Discuss.

Wow, you have a real chip on your shoulder. :rolleyes:

The fees increase is the best option. Sorry, but it is. Nobody likes it as such, but that's just how it is. If you're put off by the debt, then I question your determination and drive for you to do your degree.

ReputationRep:
    middle and upper class people have £27k in the bank, working class people don't necessarily have this sum available. I don't see how this is a level playing field. Even with the "not paying back till u earn over 27k" this is unfair on poorer people. Why don't they charge rich people 50k and let the poor people have free education? Why!?!?
    Because that would be unfair. A degree is a product. Think about it this way, if you and I walk into a shop, and want to purchase exactly the same thing, do they charge me more because I'm middle class? No, they don't.

It's the same principle. You want something in life, you pay for it. That's how it works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Wow, you have a real chip on your shoulder. :rolleyes:

The fees increase is the best option. Sorry, but it is. Nobody likes it as such, but that's just how it is. If you're put off by the debt, then I question your determination and drive for you to do your degree.
    i've already got my degree. I'm just standing up for those students who are going to go to uni in the years to come. It's unfair on them. It's just criminal for fees to go up so astronomically.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.