Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It's more probable that God is black, so why is he depicted as Caucasian? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackVenom321)
    Santa is also black
    But venom is clear :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    God looks however the believer wants it to look I would imagine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackVenom321)
    Santa is also black
    No he wasn't, Santa was Middle Eastern/European.

ReputationRep:
    Some people hope that God works. Therefore he can't be depicted black.

May the negrep rain

ReputationRep:
    Of course God is going to be portrayed as a White male... It was the white men who drew God as being white, but I don't think there is any passage in the Bible/Koran/Torah which suggests that God is race-biased, although it is more of an issue that it is always a "He"..

So it is only artists and painters who has made God seem like a white person... I dont think there is any evidence to support this, according to scriptures.

ReputationRep:
    Well as God wouldn't be black or white seeing as he doesn't have a body.

And if you're talking about Jesus, he would most likely have been middle-eastern, so neither black nor white.

ReputationRep:
    I am Santa tbh

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think you are ignoring a very important argument: 21 Oxbridge colleges took no black students last year, and God could obviously get into any college he wanted, as he is omnipotent, therefore he is more likely to be white.

Also, God is probably outside of space and time, and is immaterial, so he doesn't have a colour.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus was from the Middle East so he was most definitely brown.

God - well you are quite right in saying we originated from black people but is that what theists believed? If they don't believe in evolution then...they may not believe that God necessarily has to be black if he created man in his image - if that makes sense...

ReputationRep:
    Jesus was Middle-Eastern. I'm extremely pale, with a beard and long hair, and I giggle every time some idiot calls me Jesus

God is depicted as male because he made man in his own image. Woman was created from man later, when Adam complained he was lonely.

I'd imagine God doesn't have a skin colour, as he's not a human being - he's an omniscient force outside of space and time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilzyy)
    The Bible...in Genesis.. lol..
    LOL ok point taken.

but more to the point i think any portrayals of god in art as a human are like all the different portrayals of jesus, in that his race is very dependent on the culture that is trying to portray him
    an artist paints God as he visualises him

also, having read the da vinci code, some people out there seem to think a lot of the western interpretations are based on the greek image of zeus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student#254)
    I also mentioned Jesus.

Jesus could've been black you know. T

He could have been, but since the only black Jews come from Ethiopia, this is unlikely.

Anyway, it is also questionable as to whether Jesus should be depicted either, seeing as he supposedly was God.

ReputationRep:
    God is blue!!!

ReputationRep:
    If there is a God then I wouldn't say there's any reason to assume that he/she/it would look anything like a human.

Not all depictions of god are white:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    But venom is clear :fyi:
    My Venom is black tbh

ReputationRep:
    The number of people on this thread misunderstanding what 'in his own image' means is pretty ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    For our convenience God takes on the racial traits of the current Pope. This means he is Aryan for the moment.

Before there was a Pope God took on a glass-like exterior, just because.

ReputationRep:
    Because the people who depict him as Caucasian are racist? Baring in mind, Religion, in Karl Marx' view was a "social construct", created by the ruling class (Bourgeoisie) to maintain control of the working class (Proletariat), as it acts as a drug, which forces them to accept their position in society, through the belief of the afterlife, where roles will switch... Thing about it... Religion holds conservative views, and doesn't encourage change... Therefore if you substitute this idea into the example of the slave trade, the white man was seen as the omnipotent being, the black man was seen as the inferior race...

Was this any help?

ReputationRep:
    Who gives a ****!
    Neither is real!
    Any colour will do.
    Now get the damn cards made, it's almost christmas!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.