Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theo1977)
    Never mind the grammar; if you really want to write a gracious thank you, sit down and take the time to do it properly - don't just announce you can only be bothered to dash off a "quick thank you".

And never, never describe yourself as gracious.

Top marks for writing a thank you note, but if you're going to do it, do it properly!
    That's just the opening sentence. It's going to be about a paragraph, not just one sentence. Besides, I can hardly weave an entire letter out of a few threads of thanks.

It's only being written on a postcard size 'correspondence card' we have lying around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rylit91)
    Which grammar, the one in my OP?
    yeah haha, but also i agree with whoever said take the time to sit down and write a more heart-felt note, if you haven't seen them in so long and they still sent you a card and money i would do the same thing!

I still believe in written notes too, and often write my bf or friends letters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CameraGirl)
    yeah haha, but also i agree with whoever said take the time to sit down and write a more heart-felt note, if you haven't seen them in so long and they still sent you a card and money i would do the same thing!

I still believe in written notes too, and often write my bf or friends letters
    Thanks I am taking the time. I'm writing to them on quality stationary However, all I can muster is to thank them for the card and money and that of previous years, and to apologise for not thanking them personally over the years until now; ending with, "Hope you're all well."

Not much else I can say, really.

ReputationRep:
    The second comma is jarring, and your use of 'gracious' smacks of malapropism assuming you don't actually intend to self-aggrandise. 'Grateful' or 'appreciative' might be more viable, but the very idea of a 'grateful thank you' strikes me as blatant tautology.

Try 'sincere' instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    The second comma is jarring, and your use of 'gracious' smacks of malapropism assuming you don't actually intend to self-aggrandise. 'Grateful' or 'appreciative' might be more viable, but the very idea of a 'grateful thank you' strikes me as blatant tautology.

Try 'sincere' instead.
    You're right; I don't usually fall victim to malapropism. Touchwood...

Although jarring, is it actually incorrect?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.