Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone built a pc before? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Case is overkill, get triple channel ram instead of CL9 2000Hz - try CL7 1600Mhz. Water cooler is waste of time, just get a cheaper fan based cooler.
    He's going for an i5 build by the looks of it, so no need for triple channel RAM. But I agree that CL7 1600mhz would be better anyway. Only reason for going for faster RAM is if you need it for an overclock.

ReputationRep:
    Socket 1155 processors will only be dual channel too. 1600mhz should be enough to support any overclock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White Zenith)
    I can't believe you're running your fans as an intake... seriously try them the other way round, because at the moment basically you're stuffing your PC case full of hot air, that is only going to warm the components up more!
    it essentially cools the cpu down more at the expense of cooling for the other components.
    the radiator (and hence the CPU) sucks in cool air from outside the case, which is then unfortunately heated and dumped into the case.

The ideal setup is to have the H50 drawing in air from outside, with a large exhausting top fan above it. This is the setup I'm using and my temps are 7-9 degrees better with the CPU cooler drawing in air from outside, at a cost of an extra 2 degrees or so for the graphics cards, hard drives, disk drives etc.

ReputationRep:
    Having it exhaust out the case will make it perform much better...

And the whole point is that it DOES heat your room up. You're removing heat from the components and putting them out into the environment. There is no difference between water cooling and air cooling in terms of what is does with the heat, they both dump it (hopefully) as far away from the components as possible.

I can't believe you're running your fans as an intake... seriously try them the other way round, because at the moment basically you're stuffing your PC case full of hot air, that is only going to warm the components up more!
    The rear is in taking whilst the top and side is exhausting air, the inside runs fairly cool, there's enough ventilation 2 intakes / 3 if you include the radiator fan and 2 exhausts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    it essentially cools the cpu down more at the expense of cooling for the other components.
    the radiator (and hence the CPU) sucks in cool air from outside the case, which is then unfortunately heated and dumped into the case.

The ideal setup is to have the H50 drawing in air from outside, with a large exhausting top fan above it. This is the setup I'm using and my temps are 7-9 degrees better with the CPU cooler drawing in air from outside, at a cost of an extra 2 degrees or so for the graphics cards, hard drives, disk drives etc.

I suppose it depends what case you are using, but it's generally accepted on forums like overclock.net that you use it as an exhaust, as if it's an intake it's just sucking in all the hot air vented from the GPU and PSU (as hot air rises).

I would say the only way to make this work could be to exhaust out the top and front of your case; if you don't change this you've got an extreme case of a positive pressure setup, which as I'm sure you know is hotter than negative pressure setups.

For sure it all comes down to what works for you, but I'd at least say to Spexzzz to try is as an exhaust if he hasn't already, as I believe in general this is the better option.

EDIT: Useful (theoretical) picture to help

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends what case you are using, but it's generally accepted on forums like overclock.net that you use it as an exhaust, as if it's an intake it's just sucking in all the hot air vented from the GPU and PSU (as hot air rises).

I would say the only way to make this work could be to exhaust out the top and front of your case; if you don't change this you've got an extreme case of a positive pressure setup, which as I'm sure you know is hotter than negative pressure setups.

For sure it all comes down to what works for you, but I'd at least say to Spexzzz to try is as an exhaust if he hasn't already, as I believe in general this is the better option.

EDIT: Useful (theoretical) picture to help
    Here's my setup:

Front intake
    Bottom intake
    Side exhaust
    top exhaust
    PSU exhaust
    H50 rear intake

Air from the h50 gets exhausted through the top and psu, air from the gpus gets exhausted out the side, cool air from the front cools the hard drives..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)

Air from the h50 gets exhausted through the top and psu, air from the gpus gets exhausted out the side, cool air from the front cools the hard drives..
    How does your GPU exhaust out the side..? What case do you have? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by comissargramsci)
    SSD Drive - way to expensive at the moment, I'm waiting until half a terabyte SSD isn't 1000 pounds. Not money I want to spend on a single component at all. But I will look into the other HDD you mentioned, thank you.
    Have you considered hybrid drives a la Seagate Momentus XT?

ReputationRep:
    I've built loads of PC's.

Nice spec on your wishlist, but why not get a core i7 ?

Just remember that any PC will be out of date in 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadow99)
    I've built loads of PC's.

Nice spec on your wishlist, but why not get a core i7 ?

Just remember that any PC will be out of date in 6 months.
    The one in my sig is 14 months old... is that out of date? :p:

ReputationRep:
    How does your GPU exhaust out the side..? What case do you have? :confused:
    the gpu fans blow out the back, but I also have a bottom intake (filtered, obviously) that blows cool air towards the GPU intakes, and a side exhaust fan just above the gpus which collects most of the heat that they dump into the case itself.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.