Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

buy an ipad now or wait for ipad2 ??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    get a tablet pc with 3 or 4 times the computing power and usefulness, and buy an ipod touch (aka ipad mini) with the £200 you've saved? :dontknow:

(Original post by patrickbaby2010)
      i had considered galaxy .. Its too small
      that's what she said!

I really want an ipad now. but someone said ipad will be cheaper ..
        Is that ture ?
        What do you want an iPad for? Why does that give you what no other tablet can? And how can you justify wanting to pay three times as much as a decent non-Apple tablet for a device that's not got a proper OS on it, not capable of being programmed* and is pretty much an oversized iPhone (but without 'phone capabilities)?

* Of course it can be programmed, but I don't want to play around with SDKs and cross-compilers on another machine, I want to open a terminal on the machine I'm programming and code directly on that machine. I might have considered playing with one (secondhand), if I'd've been able to do that; I like seeing for myself what the potential for a device is from a programmer's point of view.

ReputationRep:
        You need to see where it fits your lifestyle in the ecosystem, as if you already own an iDevice or a Mac then you may conclude it's relatively pointless. However if this is purely for luxury, despite what Fandroids may say, and you enjoy the iPad for what it is, then buy it. There's obviously something that attracts you to the device as you're asking the question.

Also bare in mind the iPad 2 is a couple of months away from being announced. Unless you're keen for a front- and rear-facing camera, then ignore it.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by G8D)
        Both are equally useless.
        :ditto:

Out of your choices, wait for ipad 2 and that should be enough time for you to come to your senses.

ReputationRep:
        I was going to get an ipad as well until recently, but after reading alot of reviews about them and borrowing my freinds I decided to save the money and re-invest it in a macbook pro (the best decision I have ever made). Ipads are cool don't get me wrong but in all honesty that's all they really are. If your desperate for one though I would wait for the 2nd gen because by the sounds of it shouldn't be long till it's out and you can bet a buck it will be twice as good as the 1st gen.

ReputationRep:
        Ummm, seems like people think we shouldnt buy one now.. BUT I BOUGHT IT YESTERDAY.. hummmmmmm.. ITS GOOD~

ReputationRep:
        As others have said, wait until later next year - the current iPad will be greatly overshadowed before you know it.

ReputationRep:
        It is stupid not to wait, since it is really a luxury item and you can't seriously be in a hurry to need one now.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
        Infinity Blade on Ipad, U MAD
        Pretty graphics, gameplay which is inferior to Tetris.

:no:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by ma2k5)
        Pretty graphics, gameplay which is inferior to Tetris.

:no:
        What do you mean by that. Tetris is bloody annoying but gameplay it has in bucketloads lol

ReputationRep:
        I want a tablet, but I'm going to wait until next year.

With RIM launching the Playbook, Apple has no choice but to lower its prices. Acer will be launching a tablet, and Samsung may lower their price as well.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Tootles)
        What do you want an iPad for? Why does that give you what no other tablet can? And how can you justify wanting to pay three times as much as a decent non-Apple tablet for a device that's not got a proper OS on it, not capable of being programmed* and is pretty much an oversized iPhone (but without 'phone capabilities)?

* Of course it can be programmed, but I don't want to play around with SDKs and cross-compilers on another machine, I want to open a terminal on the machine I'm programming and code directly on that machine. I might have considered playing with one (secondhand), if I'd've been able to do that; I like seeing for myself what the potential for a device is from a programmer's point of view.
        The target market for tablets is not really serious computer users. it's for people who social network, play games, web browse, etc.

I agree that it's just an oversized iPhone. The iPad also comes in 3G.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by rajandkwameali)
        I want a tablet, but I'm going to wait until next year.

With RIM launching the Playbook, Apple has no choice but to lower its prices. Acer will be launching a tablet, and Samsung may lower their price as well.
        We've all heard that before. Not happening. It will always be priced at a premium. The Playbook is shaping up. There will be SO many tablets next year.

Incidentally, it looks like the iPad 2 may feature an SD card slot. Weird huh.

(Original post by rajandkwameali)
          The target market for tablets is not really serious computer users. it's for people who social network, play games, web browse, etc.

I agree that it's just an oversized iPhone. The iPad also comes in 3G.
          Doesn't that just show that the target market is uneducated? They're paying for something that I can buy a non-branded generic equivalent of for little over a tenth of the price (£70 from the computer stall in Fleetwood Market).

ReputationRep:
          Maybe so, but it doesn't really matter. Different computers have different customer bases. A gamer needs a different kind of computer to a Facebook user.

(Original post by Tootles)
            Doesn't that just show that the target market is uneducated? They're paying for something that I can buy a non-branded generic equivalent of for little over a tenth of the price (£70 from the computer stall in Fleetwood Market).
            You could buy a non branded generic equivalent. But will it have the same build quality, battery life and overall ease of use and functionality of an ipad?

(Original post by Madjackismad)
              You could buy a non branded generic equivalent. But will it have the same build quality, battery life and overall ease of use and functionality of an ipad?
              Ease of functionality? What functionality?

ReputationRep:
              I really want an ipad now. but someone said ipad will be cheaper ..
              Is that ture ?
              I heard today that TK Maxx currently have some 16GB and 32GB iPads in selling at £100 less than the apple price. Not sure which stores but it migh be worth ringing around your local shops.

As for the person who posted above me....you've clearly never used one. I've had mine since July, in fact I'm typing this on it, and it has been incredibly useful to me. I wouldnt be without it now, I can carry it across campus unlike my laptop. Yes it's a big iPod touch....but that's the point it's BIG. Ive never watched a film on my iPhone in over 2 years yet I watch them weekly on my iPad...I can type notes on it, surf the Internet...it does everything I need it to do. Not everyone wants to be able to program. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by *k.a.t.e*)
              I heard today that TK Maxx currently have some 16GB and 32GB iPads in selling at £100 less than the apple price. Not sure which stores but it migh be worth ringing around your local shops.

As for the person who posted above me....you've clearly never used one. I've had mine since July, in fact I'm typing this on it, and it has been incredibly useful to me. I wouldnt be without it now, I can carry it across campus unlike my laptop. Yes it's a big iPod touch....but that's the point it's BIG. Ive never watched a film on my iPhone in over 2 years yet I watch them weekly on my iPad...I can type notes on it, surf the Internet...it does everything I need it to do. Not everyone wants to be able to program. :rolleyes:
              Exactly. For casual usage, it's perfect.

Submit reply
            TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2010
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
            What newspaper do you read/prefer?
            Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
            Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.