Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who introduced you to your music tastes? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicforsanity)
    My dad is and has always been really into music. He has well over 600 albums and a heck of a vinyl collection. So mostly when we were little he'd play us stuff. Still does sometimes. Other times I'll be walking past and hear something playing.

I've found a lot of music on my own though, introduced my dad to some stuff as well. It's a mutual thing. Can't imagine going a single day without music now.

Can't say I listen to the radio often though, tends to be stuff I really can't stand.
    Your dad sounds v. cool

Although my dad never had any influence on me before (music-wise!) and vice versa, it's only been over the summer that we've started introducing eachother to more and talking about it.

I'm generally with you on the radio front if it's mostly chart stuff. Occasionally, depending on the station, there can be little-known entities that are unusual.

ReputationRep:
    Dad got me into metal when he played me Slayer, dark fortress, drudkh, wyrd, lunar aurora and some darkthrone. We have like 90% identical music tastes now, but I like my death metal a lot more, and he isnt a fan of grindcore, doom and female fronted metal and I dislike his prog rock like Yes and Genesis. Strange that I like Porcupine Tree and Pink Floyd then I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Myself
    Finding it hard trying to find new music to listen to now though

I have influenced one of my sisters into some of the music I listen to which Im happy about
    I also got my youngest sister interested into playing the guitar, shes practically teaching me now

ReputationRep:
    Myself for the most part. Although my Aunt introduced me to grunge and classic rock, my dad introduced me to alternative rock and my brother showed me heavy metal/screamo.

ReputationRep:
    My parents only listened to rock 'n' roll and rhythm 'n' blues (y'know *real* R'n'B) I had to find out about newer stuff on my own....

I somehow got a punk compilation and that was basically year zero for me - I listened to The Clash, The Ramones, Stiff Little Fingers etc and from there started listening to bands that were influenced by them until I finally started listening to modern music.

ReputationRep:
    My mum introduced me to Jazz and folk and my dad introduced me to Blues.

I found metal all on my own - a Black Sabbath album I rented from the Library when I was 12.

ReputationRep:
    People at school I'd say. I never really belonged to a 'clique' as such, but I always found the whole 'emo/scene' thing interesting in like, year 8, and the girl I really liked was really into it ... so I started listening to lots of bands like My Chemical Romance etc. I never went the whole length with the 'emo' thing, I got bored of it after a few months... I mean everyone goes through phases.

Anyway, previous to that I didn't really listen to much music, so they were probably the first bands I really liked. I can't stand those crappy bands like MCR, Bring Me The Horizon etc. now, but I've branched off into metal, hardcore, punk, hard rock which are my main music tastes now. I also like electronic, techno, dubstep etc., not sure where that came from.

I think many people who are into metal/hardcore was into the whole emo/scene/goth thing at one point though.

ReputationRep:
    My brother introduced me to bands like
    Green Day
    Muse
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Foo Fighters
    Feeder
    Biffy Clyro
    The Prodigy
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    White Stripes

My Dad introduced me to music like
    Phil Collins
    Genesis
    ELO
    Men at Work
    Meatloaf
    Van Halen
    Guns n Roses
    Queen

My Mum introduced me to music like
    Take That
    Boyzone
    Westlife
    Abba
    George Michael
    Robbie Williams
    (Generic Cheesy pop)
    My Mum was the person to introduce me to Disney films and she took me to the theatre a lot from the age of about 6 so that got me into musical theatre and soundtracks.

My Ex boyfriend introduced me to
    Iron Maiden
    Slayer
    Metallica
    Alice Cooper
    Bullet for my Valentine
    DragonForce
    Firewind
    Glamour of the Kill
    Nightwish
    Ozzy
    Black Sabbath

Edit: I know my music taste is bad but I didn't think it was so bad it deserved negative rep....

ReputationRep:
    To begin with, it was my family but since the age of about 15 my tastes have been influenced by the TV shows I watch - a lot of American drama shows have awesome music in the episodes. House got me into allsorts of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Mostly through my own initiative or otherwise friends.

ReputationRep:
    My parents probably influenced me as a tiny kid, they're both into quite a broad selection of music. Really, though, I've just searched for new stuff on my own since I was about 10 and actually got into collecting music.

The internet has helped facilitate my finding of new music but I don't recall ever being introduced to my specific tastes. I've always been the one that does the introducing, *****es.

ReputationRep:
    No-one. I just shifted towards that genre by myself and my huge taste in music is mainly from lots of time spent on YouTube.

ReputationRep:
    It's a mix of my parents, siblings, friends and myself just looking around when bored. Sometimes it's just things that I hear on TV or the radio.

ReputationRep:
    Friends, family, also Late junction and Bob Harris on the radio.

ReputationRep:
    I introduced myself to 98% of my music tastes. Self-educated man, I guess. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    My parents probably influenced me as a tiny kid, they're both into quite a broad selection of music. Really, though, I've just searched for new stuff on my own since I was about 10 and actually got into collecting music.

The internet has helped facilitate my finding of new music but I don't recall ever being introduced to my specific tastes. I've always been the one that does the introducing, *****es.
    Ha ha, I like it.

ReputationRep:
    Parents (especially my father), a couple of mates, the Internet, and me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    I think many people who are into metal/hardcore was into the whole emo/scene/goth thing at one point though.
    Don't agree with that, maybe Punk, like Green Day etc.

A lot of my friends from school were emo/scene though they denied this :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Originally: an online radio station which, at the age of 13, shifted my music taste from soft rock / britpop, to heavy metal.

Then I heard Dream Theater and numerous other such bands (that still no-one has yet heard of) on this station, introducing me to progressive metal. This built upon my dad and brothers' influence of listening to prog rock - especially Pink Floyd.

Until university, I didn't develop my taste beyond the more 'well-known' progressive metal and rock bands, but music reccomendations from like-minded uni friends - along with spotify - have increased the sheer quantity and variation of such bands that I listen to.

I take my classical-listening influence from my parents, but went through a phase of thinking all classical music was crap. Since I was 17, I started listening to it again, but decided - because I didn't get on with my mum at the time - to filter out the 'pansy' classical music such as Mozart (which she likes) in preference of very loud, 'progressive' classical music (especially Mahler). This is stuff that my dad loves yet my mum hates. I didn't like this stuff to begin with but literally only listened to it to piss my mum off. Yet over a few years it appears to have grown on me somewhat...

Yeah, my music taste is very similar to my dad's, insofar as there is a lot of overlap - yet my music taste is significantly heavier than his, and his music taste is significantly more gay.

(Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    Dad got me into metal when he played me Slayer.
    At what age did your dad play you Slayer? That would probably count as child abuse

ReputationRep:
    I don't know really.

Myself.
    Friends.
    Things I like... Harry Potter and John Williams got me into classical music/soundtracks when I was 10.

I grew up with my dad blasting "Heart" etc. He loves music from the 70's, when he was a teenager. When I was little I thought "Barracuda" was the most badass song ever.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.