Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fifa Consider Later World Cup Start...... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    Yeah, my point was that it is usual (I can't be bothered to find last season's dates) for the Spanish league to go on for longer, which under this theory would mean they would struggle at the tournament. Obviously this didn't happen as the standout players all came from La Liga. Probably unrelated but it's just an observation.

My main concern is about the effects on the following season's Premier League if the tournament ran from mid-July to Mid-August. The players would then be leaving for holiday at the same time that they would usually be playing the opening day of the season.

Welcome to the football forum tbh. Don't understand why your OP got negged though, it was just opening a debate.
    Cheers, for being civil and not a ***** about my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    The idea is already being floated in FIFA http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?...ar-beckenbauer

And you can see why it would appeal to them, it would give them an even stronger grip on the footballing calender increasing their authority even more, FIFA are hardly going to turn down such an opportunity
    I think the UEFA powers would ensure this never happened, surely too much of a faff just for one tournament.

(Original post by pinda.college)
      Lol Xavi has a muscle injury (Cramp). It was just a hype for the Spanish newspapers to get a story. You say Villa, but what about Ronaldo and Kaka? Both of them play for Real Madrid and are brilliant however, soon as they go to their international teams for the WC, they underperfom. Yes there's a handful of players that did play good and aren't really going to help my thread, but that's only a handful.
      You were saying that because Xavi, Villa, and Iniesta play together, they were better. As I said, this was false.

Kaka was good in the WC. He may not have scored, but he was top in assists. And Brazil were playing brilliantly until then. Kaka wasn't very good during the latter half of the season however...

Ronaldo just couldn't get their head around. They met Spain, and simply couldn't outclass them.

Can you please state your point clearly? You don't seem to be making a lot of sense... And how do Ronaldo and Kaka relate to Villa's situation?

Are you dumb? I've already stated that the understanding already exists because they're pre-dominantly Real and Barcelona players. I'm saying that a break would benefit the players who don't get to form this understanding like the Spanish.
      You seem to be forgetting the mere fact that, Gerrard and Lampard cannot come to the same level of understanding to that of Xavi and Iniesta in a month, merely because the understanding between Xavi and Iniesta has existed for years. Even if Spain had no practice, they would still be better than most teams who did practice.

ReputationRep:
      I think the UEFA powers would ensure this never happened, surely too much of a faff just for one tournament.
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...an-winter.html

:awesome:

Its got 12 years to gather traction

ReputationRep:
      It's ridiculous to consider this now, if they wanted a Jan WC then that should have all been covered in the bid. It's like the idiots at Fifa have suddenly realised that the idea of having a WC in 45 degree heat isn't such a great idea. It won the bid on the basis of the air conditioning claims, and that should be how it's carried through. Stuff like this just drives a bigger gap between international and club football

I think the idea of moving it to July is sound, i've always felt it's held rather early in the summer. Trouble is the impact on domestic football, RVP and Cesc are still shaking off the effects of the WC despite long breaks after it

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by a_t)
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...an-winter.html

:awesome:

Its got 12 years to gather traction
      That's FIFA who are backing it, UEFA will veto it due to fear from the big clubs. Beckenbauer needs to shut the **** up tbh

I am pretty sure had all this been announced pre-decision they would have received significantly fewer votes, no wonder they pretended all was well :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
      That's FIFA who are backing it, UEFA will veto it due to fear from the big clubs. Beckenbauer needs to shut the **** up tbh

I am pretty sure had all this been announced pre-decision they would have received significantly fewer votes, no wonder they pretended all was well
      :facepalm2:

Yeah well I think we've all learnt how much we should trust FIFA. I don't want this to happen, I love the holiday period for football, but I am worried it will

(Original post by Economist)
      It's ridiculous to consider this now, if they wanted a Jan WC then that should have all been covered in the bid. It's like the idiots at Fifa have suddenly realised that the idea of having a WC in 45 degree heat isn't such a great idea. It won the bid on the basis of the air conditioning claims, and that should be how it's carried through. Stuff like this just drives a bigger gap between international and club football
      Do you really believe that? Its apparent to me corruption was involved, Qatar is just gonna turn into a football theme park for 2022, its ridiculous

ReputationRep:
      FIFA haven't thought this through at all. Absolute sickener for the countries that put together good bids to host the world cup, e.g. USA and Australia.

I'm seriously having my doubts as to the practicalities of sorting out air conditioning for the stadiums, training pitches etc...

It's just going to be an utterly clinical world cup with little to no atmosphere and excitement about the whole thing. Qatar doesn't do football. What it does do is desert, horrendous heat and humidity, oil and the accompanying enormous wealth and business opportunities this can provide (e.g. buying football clubs and using them as play-things).

To suddenly go from 'plan A' of air conditioning to "oh let's host it in Jan/Feb, even if it means disrupting European football league schedules" - just no thought gone into any of this...

arses. I don't think Blatter said anything wrong with his comment about homosexuals refraining from sexual activity in Qatar - he had a point, they'd probably get stoned if they were to do so and were to be caught in the act. However, Blatter and his fellow executives are a laughing stock.

ReputationRep:
      Also, Blatter is in favour of having the Qatar World Cup in January, which would be crazy.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Addzter)
      Also, Blatter is in favour of having the Qatar World Cup in January, which would be crazy.
      Has Blatter himself said anything explicitly about this? Because if he's leaning towards this there's a good chance it would happen

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by a_t)
      Do you really believe that? Its apparent to me corruption was involved, Qatar is just gonna turn into a football theme park for 2022, its ridiculous
      Well exactly, the fact they are considering moving it is just further evidence of how nonsensical the whole voting process is. 'Lets all vote for Qatar, they are giving us the most money, we'll worry about the practicalities of it later'

ReputationRep:
      FIFA have realised that they've ****** up by picking Qatar for a summer tournament. But could you imagine a winter world cup in Russia (Robinho would have a heart attack).

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mfc1993DP)
      FIFA have realised that they've ****** up by picking Qatar for a summer tournament. But could you imagine a winter world cup in Russia (Robinho would have a heart attack).
      fingers crossed then

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by a_t)
      Has Blatter himself said anything explicitly about this? Because if he's leaning towards this there's a good chance it would happen
      It said on the news today that he's said he's in favour of having the 2022 World Cup in Winter, so yeah. Do you really think it could happen, though? There'd be a massive backlash, especially from the Premier League. I guess it wouldn't be so bad for those leagues that have a winter break. Maybe we'll have one by 2022...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Addzter)
      It said on the news today that he's said he's in favour of having the 2022 World Cup in Winter, so yeah. Do you really think it could happen, though? There'd be a massive backlash, especially from the Premier League. I guess it wouldn't be so bad for those leagues that have a winter break. Maybe we'll have one by 2022...
      They made a pretty compelling case for it on the Football Weekly podcast from the guardian a few weeks back, I just don't see FIFA missing this opportunity to further tighten their grip on the world footballing calender, and even the premier league would back off from a possible exclusion of England from the FIFA world cup

At this stage its all speculation, but the fact that we're speculating about it is somewhat worrying

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.