Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Guardian has a complete list of how Lib Dem MPs voted Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    You realise a liberal party would have far more in common with the right wing than the left?

Or do you not understand what Liberal means and are just using the American definition of the word?
    I would say the Liberal Democrats are more associated with being left-wing than right-wing. (Although still quite central)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craiky1506)
    I would say the Liberal Democrats are more associated with being left-wing than right-wing. (Although still quite central)
    I think its half and half really. Definitely some right wing elements in there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I think its half and half really. Definitely some right wing elements in there.
    Yeh, definitely some.

I just remember after the general election people were saying how a lib/lab coalition would probably go more hand-in-hand. Meh, whatever, this conversation is going off the point of the thread.

ReputationRep:
    This doesnt even make sense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by profoflife)
    This doesnt even make sense!
    Why not?

Their political position is centre, but I'd say they lean to centre-left generally speaking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerigeeApogee)

It has fees, but the government pays them. The fees will probably go up though, to maintain competitiveness with English universities, resulting in the government saying 'we can't afford to pay them' and Scottish students therefore getting lumped with fees too.

if that happens i will eat my right arm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    I could have sworn I heard that Huhne flew back to vote...? Could be bs...

Huhne is a **** anyway, wouldn't be surprised if he abstained, all he cares about is votes. Take the safe option.
    Well, Huhne had already told colleagues that if he were to remain in the UK, he would be voting FOR the fee rises. He was strongly opposed to the policy when New Labour was in power, but now they're out, he's in favour.

I'm personally in favour of the policy, but I hate the hypocrisy of both the Lib Dems AND Labour on this issue...

ReputationRep:
    Why not?

Their political position is centre, but I'd say they lean to centre-left generally speaking.
    The head's leaning a different way to the body at the moment.

I notice the 2 recent former Lib Dem leaders (Campbell and Kennedy) voted against.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by V12)
    I thought this would be of great interest to TSR, and warranted it's own thread

Those who voted against:

Annette Brooke (Dorset Mid & Poole North), Sir Menzies Campbell (Fife North East), Michael Crockart (Edinburgh West), Tim Farron (Westmorland & Lonsdale), Andrew George (St Ives), Mike Hancock (Portsmouth South), Julian Huppert (Cambridge), Charles Kennedy (Ross, Skye & Lochaber), John Leech (Manchester Withington), Stephen Lloyd (Eastbourne), Greg Mulholland (Leeds North West), John Pugh (Southport), Alan Reid (Argyll & Bute), Dan Rogerson (Cornwall North), Bob Russell (Colchester), Adrian Sanders (Torbay), Ian Swales (Redcar), Mark Williams (Ceredigion), Roger Williams (Brecon and Radnorshire), Jenny Willott (Cardiff Central), and Simon Wright (Norwich South).

Abstained:

Lorely Burt (Solihull), Martin Horwood (Cheltenham), Simon Hughes (Bermondsey & Old Southwark), Chris Huhne (Eastleigh), Tessa Munt (Wells), Sir Robert Smith (Aberdeenshire West and Kincardine), John Thurso (Caithness, Sutherland & Easter Ross), and Stephen Williams (Bristol West).

Theose who voted for:

Danny Alexander (Inverness, Nairn, Badenoch and Strathspey), Norman Baker (Lewes), Sir Alan Beith (Berwick-upon-Tweed), Gordon Birtwistle (Burnley), Tom Brake (Carshalton & Wallington), Jeremy Browne (Taunton Deane), Malcolm Bruce (Gordon), Paul Burstow (Sutton & Cheam), Vincent Cable (Twickenham), Alistair Carmichael (Orkney & Shetland), Nick Clegg (Sheffield Hallam), Edward Davey (Kingston & Surbiton), Lynne Featherstone (Hornsey & Wood Green), Don Foster (Bath), Stephen Gilbert (St Austell and Newquay), Duncan Hames (Chippenham), Nick Harvey (Devon North), David Heath (Somerton & Frome), John Hemming (Birmingham Yardley), Norman Lamb (Norfolk North), David Laws (Yeovil), Michael Moore (Berwickshire, Roxburgh & Selkirk), Andrew Stunell (Hazel Grove), Jo Swinson (Dunbartonshire East), Sarah Teather (Brent Central), David Ward (Bradford East), and Steve Webb (Thornbury and Yate).

The full article is here:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/b...tics-blog-live
    Dibs on the guy from Thornbury, I'll get the pickaxe when I go home.

It really is awesome how the West Country is basically just hippy liberal land. I think we should have our own country.

ReputationRep:
    Bottom line is it went through with a majority.

Hopefully all the moaning will stop and we can all just get on with focusing and doing best with what we've got.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.