Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AS History - Anyone else finding it challenging? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazbaz)
    What course you doing and exam board?
    I think it's AQA Modern World History Russia and Germany, the practise exam questions we got given say HIS1H so I think that's my exam in January

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black-lemur)
    I think it's AQA Modern World History Russia and Germany, the practise exam questions we got given say HIS1H so I think that's my exam in January
    Ah right i dont do russia did that for coursework last year but i do germany, are you doing 33-45?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pensivedore)
    Yeah, I still realy want to do it!
    Oh, realy? We got givven text books to use in class but if we wanted to buy our own we could, but I think the teacher's gonna make the rest of the class buy their own text books because 4 of them have gone missing already LOL, it's quite funny, actually, but when I put my text book back in my bag EVERYONE turned round and was like "THIEF! WE HAVE CAUGHT THE THIEF" and I'd sort of just take my book out and say "I swear this is my own book, look check the back it's mine, MINE! Yeah, :cool:.
    Aha I'd like to do Law at uni too :rolleyes: hopefully..

And that story sounds hilarious, we don't have that problem in our class. Did have a few people moaning about the price though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In the looney bin)
    I'd also recommend practicing concise writing.

I found half of the hard bit (besides a minimum of 6 hours note taking and reading a week) to be managing to fit your answer in the time given. I'm not sure if your exam board is similar, but i got roughly one minute per mark, so it was 25 minutes for a 24 mark essay which would usually be approx 3 sides of A4 to get sufficient detail...

Year 13 it goes up to 45 Mark questions in 45 minutes.

I presume your English lit will also help you on this.
    It's the same for me, roughly one mark per question. In a one hour fifteen mins paper we have to do two 12 marks and two 24 marks, fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazbaz)
    Ah right i dont do russia did that for coursework last year but i do germany, are you doing 33-45?
    We haven't actually started the Germany part of the course yet, that comes after xmas. I presume it is that because that's the most interesting time period of Germany! Tbh I'll be so glad to start it, at least I know some background about it, with Russia I literally knew zilch before this course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black-lemur)
    We haven't actually started the Germany part of the course yet, that comes after xmas. I presume it is that because that's the most interesting time period of Germany! Tbh I'll be so glad to start it, at least I know some background about it, with Russia I literally knew zilch before this course.
    Russia is so epic thoug, but you have to write so fastt =/ have liek 12 mins to doa 24 marker

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really, I'd say it was my least stressful subject, but there are people complaining about it in my class. Especially British, although most people also took Politics with it. Part of the reason I like it is that you don't have to know the story that well, not as much as for GCSE, as long as you can think critically about it. Stick with it if you enjoy it, if not, you can always drop it! But rest assured that lots of people do find it heavy.

ReputationRep:
    AS History was an absolute ***** for me until around easter and then for some reason I seemed to get it and it was so much easier. It does get easier, you just need to get technique concrete in your mind and know your stuff :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Well I dont really revise history, it just sticks straight into my head for some reason. My bro got an A* at it in a level, must be in the genes or something? lol

ReputationRep:
    AS
    Condition of England
    Russia ?-1941

A/2
    Great Britain and the Irish Question 1798-1921
    America for coursework i think

We are with OCR.

ReputationRep:
    Hi i am doing higher history this year,
    my teacher gave us a source question that i am really struggling to cope with.

How fully does this source explain why men answered the call to arms in 1914.... ( worth 10 marks) and the source is a picture of a dad and his son and daughter.
    i know facts about the call to arms but i do not know how to structure this sort of question and desperately need help fast can anyone help by letting me know how to structure out a full answer as i need to pass this question or be moved from the class
    i appreciate any help, thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Hi i am doing higher history this year,
    my teacher gave us a source question that i am really struggling to cope with.

How fully does this source explain why men answered the call to arms in 1914.... ( worth 10 marks) and the source is a picture of a dad and his son and daughter.
    i know facts about the call to arms but i do not know how to structure this sort of question and desperately need help fast can anyone help by letting me know how to structure out a full answer as i need to pass this question or be moved from the class
    i appreciate any help, thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bexter:))
    I did AS last year and got an A grade so if you want to ask me any questions feel free xx
    Well done on your A, unfortunately im retaking in January. I was just wondering how did you structure the knowledge paper and what is meant by analysis and judgement?. In doing OCR btw

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Got a C in mine last year, hated it and was ill in the exam. If you don't like it, you're not the only one...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, really hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdh12345)
    Well done on your A, unfortunately im retaking in January. I was just wondering how did you structure the knowledge paper and what is meant by analysis and judgement?. In doing OCR btw Thanks in advance

Hi, i did OCR as well On the knowledge paper you shouldnt do your points seperately, you should always link them together and show your understanding, not just your knowledge, try to think outside of the box. Focus on a main point and then back it up with evidence and support but for a few extra marks i slipped in a quote that i remembered that backed up one of my ideas, you'll have to be lucky though to get a good question (hopefully you will) It helped me to come up with a simple plan that applies to most questions:
    -Brief intro or none at all , can waste time if not properly constructed
    -3 main points that are ready for expansion
    -possibly differences between each main point and MUST use evidence
    -quotes and evidence for backing up (quotes liked by examiners)
    -conclusion that uses evidence for main evaluation, evaluate links and differences!!

GOOD LUCK!! hope this helps xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.