Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

8 police men injured? What about the students? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    The police didn't even go far enough. Where were the dogs, water cannons and rubber bullets? In some countries, there would have been live rounds fired into the crowd.

The anarchist scumbags got it lucky, IMO.
    AFAIK there are only 6 water cannons in the UK, which are located in Northern Ireland.

ReputationRep:
    Might knock some sense into them. Their protests are pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futuredoc77)
    So, someone I know was in the protest today who witnessed a police hitting his friend in the head with that stick!! :shock: Of course, with a hit like that, the poor 17 year old passed out right there in the middle of the crowd. His friends had to carry him out of there with a lot of struggle.

I don't have any evidence as of course it wouldn't have been documented or put on the internet or TV. They talked about how 8 police men were injured and rushed to the hospital, yet this kid who'd been obviously injured and taken to the hospital by his friends doesn't get any media attention, how is that fair? Not only is this abuse on the police's part, but also don't forget that he is just a kid, only 17!!
    well, the police are the good guys here, the students shouldn't go too far, the police wouldn't hit this kid you saw without good reason. his fault.

Plus, the media don't care about students and want to show the adults how irresponsible we students are.

ReputationRep:
    I get your point of view, but to hit a kid in the head? That's pretty messed up! Getting hit in the head is the worst kind of injury, it can paralyze you/ cause memory loss terminal or temporary/ make you go mad, etc. The police should've known this, after all they are the adults and the protesters are obviously unthoughtful enough to protest in the first place.
    are you trying to say that they should instead hit there bodies?

That is not possible when everyone is crammed together and only heads are showing. You need to put yourself in the police's position and get real!

ReputationRep:
    Theres a good chance that if you go to a protest, you're bound to get hurt, specially where youth are involved, ther'll always be a group out there for the 'fun' of it.

The police are just doing their job - anyone who talks about "they shouldn't be hitting out at random people" or "they should aim" have to understand, its a combat situation, if you've been in a serious one, you'd understand...it's tough to make decisions.

Whats worse is plenty of people go out thinking that they're going to be paying more for uni next year - 6 people did it a few weeks ago from my class, thought differently when I gave them a bit to read about. Typical sheep behaviour.

Personally, I like the new payment scheme, but not the crazy spending cuts. I'm quite sceptical this system will benefit the educational institutions.

I think EMA needs to be rethough out, I never used a penny on college in the last 2 years because I was close to home, this year I use most of it on transport.

Either way, lets just hope all those hurt get well soon and we move out of these hard times in the coming years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bdcoll)
    The students had a choice to be their and to put themselves on the frontline knowing full well the danger they would be moving into.
    The police had no choice but to be on the frontline, even though they knew the danger. Thats the diffrence.

EVERYBODY HAS A CHOICE, and dont you ever forget it.

ReputationRep:
    The students got what they deserved.

ReputationRep:
    It's still unfair seeing as they're only kids!! And this particular kid, I know for a fact, wasn't involved in tearing buildings down or beating the police.

Well if they're only kids they should have been in school, not at a violent protest...

On the news earlier they were interviewing some **** who was complaining he was hit by a policeman, then at the end of the interview he turned round and immediately started throwing stones at them!

These pathetic protests make me ashamed to be a student.

ReputationRep:
    The Police: Did not have the option to be there or not.

The Students: Did have the option to be there or not! - So therefore any students that were hurt did so at their own risk and by their own fault!

ReputationRep:
    I'm perfectly happy that the students got a pummelling. If I was a policeman there, in the midst of all that, I'd bop people on the head as well.

The rises are sucky, but I, like most of the people in that riot, won't be affected by it much, if at all. I'll be paying the old rates for my degree - while there's a lot I don't agree with going on in Parliment, student fees isn't something I need to protest.

Protests could have done a lot more, if they hadn't got violent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loosebruce)

The Students: Did have the option to be there or not! - So therefore any students that were hurt did so at their own risk and by their own fault!
    I'm pretty sure the police do have a choice... doubt someone just rung them up and said youre in the police today. Tool.

ReputationRep:

So you're suggesting that injuries among students deserve less sympathy just because they were simply exercising a right of theirs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Kinda like http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...s-woman-police then

(I sort of know her).
    At Guy's and St Thomas' hospital, Bax said, the same officer debated with her over the merits of tuition fees, telling her she was "narrow minded" and should stop reading the Guardian and read the Telegraph and the Daily Mail more often.

Oh the irony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    So you're suggesting that injuries among students deserve less sympathy just because they were simply exercising a right of theirs
    Students who were not smart enough to move away from the trouble makers who were about the be shown the law do not get any sympathy from me. They have a choice just like people have a choice to take a credit card with a bank and if they can't pay it back - tough faeces! Their fault!

(Original post by ed46)
    I'm pretty sure the police do have a choice... doubt someone just rung them up and said youre in the police today. Tool.
    You totally missed the boat there. The Riot police on duty were there because they have orders which they cannot challenge as it is their job and civic duty. They are also highly trained and no ordinary bobby can just go along and pick up a riot shield.

ReputationRep:
    You start a riot, you get owned..simples.

ReputationRep:
    Students who were not smart enough to move away from the trouble makers who were about the be shown the law do not get any sympathy from me. They have a choice just like people have a choice to take a credit card with a bank and if they can't pay it back - tough faeces! Their fault!

That argument contains as much logic as saying that people deserve to be beaten up if they simply said something which others disagree on.

The point is that, it is not the fault of peaceful protesters that others choose to use violence. It is also not their fault that they have become injured in the event. Obviously, there are examples where its pretty clear where the danger is coming from, and its common sense to simply step away, however, often, the atmosphere become chaotic and with police horses charging towards a tightly packed mass of protestors, its almost certain that well-intentioned protestors would be caught up and suffer injuries.

Of course, if the event was named 'march for violence and anarchism' then it is rightly the fault of those who attend if they become injured in the process, but this particular march was a planned to be peaceful, so it is different.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    the police were there doing their jobs trying to protect the innocent people who could have got caught up in it/ targeted so frankly i couldnt give a **** if any of the students are injured because they should have thought about the consequences before they started to ****ing riot!!! they give the rest of us students a crappy reputation!!! no wonder most of the country hates students! can you blame them? they need to get back to uni and go to a ****ing lecture once in a while! thats what theyre fighting for after all!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed46)
    its their job!! if theyre told to do something or be somewhere or if theyre on duty on a particular day they have to do it!! if they dont theyll get fired like the rest of us!! if i just decided one day i didnt fancy going to work id get the ****ing sack! tool.

ReputationRep:
    I truly feel sorry for future students that'll have to pay insane amounts for tuition. But if you're going to start a riot and smash things up, then you deserve the thumping coming to you when police intervene.

ReputationRep:
    At least it didn't get to the level of the Athens Riots.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.