Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Am_Kay)
    YOU'RE APPLYING FOR THE SAME COURSE AS ME! *glare* Heard anything yet?
    No :/ Well, UCAS track is going to be unavailable for the next few days so I won't find out for a while. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jono300)
    No :/ Well, UCAS track is going to be unavailable for the next few days so I won't find out for a while. How about you?
    Nothing yet. Although I did mistake their Christmas greeting as an offer ¬__¬
    They're waiting till they've got all their applications before they make anyone an offer. Something about 'fairness' :rolleyes:
    Basically, no-one's hearing anything until 15th January, and then all departments will probably send offers in batches :/

ReputationRep:
    Agree that not all of Warwick is crazy competitive, just a few courses. There are about 10 courses that were crazy competitive before the A* grade came in, and now Warwick's hiked up it's entry standards and made an A* pretty much mandatory for those top 10 courses. I'm just glad I got in before all this A* malarkey.

(Original post by Am_Kay)
    Nothing yet. Although I did mistake their Christmas greeting as an offer ¬__¬
    They're waiting till they've got all their applications before they make anyone an offer. Something about 'fairness' :rolleyes:
    Basically, no-one's hearing anything until 15th January, and then all departments will probably send offers in batches :/
    Dont expect to hear anything till the last day of UCAS. Warwick is notorious for giving out the majority of their decisions on the last day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)

Dont expect to hear anything till the last day of UCAS. Warwick is notorious for giving out the majority of their decisions on the last day.

Is that really true? I got my offer like a month ago, 20th Nov, and I know a few other people with offers to. That's for Physics though, maybe it isn't as competitve a course?

To me it seems like Warwick gives offers to anyone who has the predicted grades, not exactly 'competitve'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mainguy)
    Is that really true? I got my offer like a month ago, 20th Nov, and I know a few other people with offers to. That's for Physics though, maybe it isn't as competitve a course?
    Warwick is notorious for giving out the majority of their decisions on the last day.

ReputationRep:
    They made me wait until April, so they don't even give you an offer before the deadline some of the time...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    Warwick is notorious for giving out the majority of their decisions on the last day.
    My experience is way past the last day. I got my offer like a month after the ucas deadline :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mainguy)

To me it seems like Warwick gives offers to anyone who has the predicted grades, not exactly 'competitve'.

I got an offer for Physics in November too, so it must just be the Physics department I guess?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jono300)
    What's so great about Warwick? I've heard it's on par with Oxford and Cambridge and they receive 17 applications for one place on a course. I'm applying for Warwick and just want to know what makes it stand out from the rest and after hearing that it's very competitive, I'm worried that I won't be accepted.
    It's not on par with Oxford and Cambridge, but it's a damn good university. Definitely one of the success stories of the 60s universities.

Great place with some great courses, teaching staff, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megaduck)
    You're wrong, actually. Application to place ratio at Oxbridge is about three-to-one, because a lot of people either don't want to go there or don't think they can get in. The likes of Warwick, LSE, Bristol etc are far more competitive if you're defining that in terms of applications per place.

OP - Warwick's hugely competitive because it's ace Seriously, it's a great uni with excellent courses and high standards. Understandably a lot of people want to go and think they have a shot, and consequently it's very competitive. A few things are less competitive but things like Economics, English, History, Politics, Statistics, Law, PPE, Business etc are crazy competitive.
    Is history actually that competitive at warwick??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC armani)
    Yep. About ten to one applications to places, I think. It's made a bit less competitive because you need a GCSE language and that counts a lot of people out, but it's still a hard one to get into and they have to turn down loads of really good people.

ReputationRep:
    how competitive is politics? and when do people tend to find out for politics if they get a offer?

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear. It's amazing how little people know on here!!! The only University that did better than Warwick at the last Research Assessment Exercise was Cambridge. Warwick is seriously seriously strong in History

ReputationRep:
    Cause it made its fame on the inbetweeners

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkNoble)
    Oh dear. It's amazing how little people know on here!!! The only University that did better than Warwick at the last Research Assessment Exercise was Cambridge. Warwick is seriously seriously strong in History
    I'm so sorry. I feel so ashamed at not having checked each and every research assessment. As far as I know, Durham, UCL and LSE (at least) are superior for history (and of course oxbridge).

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sorry. I feel so ashamed at not having checked each and every research assessment. As far as I know, Durham, UCL and LSE (at least) are superior for history (and of course oxbridge).
    What a very stupid comment. And how defensive

ReputationRep:
    I've always heard that Warwick is an alternative to Oxbridge, and that the teaching is almost up to the same standard.

ReputationRep:
    Play nice everyone.

And just remember these words of wisdom to apply in all circumstances: Warwick uni is fab

ReputationRep:
    I wondered why this was still around, I've got three negs for a post I did back in December which didn't say an awful lot but then I thought, I'm guessing people didn't take the sig too well. Well can I just say that I had decided that if Cambridge rejected me Warwick would be my next choice, ahead of LSE, so don't taze me bro! Very good university, obviously people know Oxbridge is in that weird higher tier because of the insane amount of money they have to play with and the sheer number of fellows but Warwick is easily a rival to them

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.