Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are so many people full of resentment for the 2010 World Cup? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robocop1andahalf)
    Best ever? When they were in danger of failing to even qualify then got put in an easy group with China and Costa Rica? Rivaldo and Ronaldinho are extremely overrated and as there are classier players than Lucio and Gilberto Silva. I take it you have no knowledge of Brazil circa 1958, 1970 or 1982/1986. Heck, even 1994. (Romario, Bebeto, Careca etc) Argentina could have and should have won it but no they got put in the hardest group and yer precious Prince Beckham ahd to have his media-hyped "special moment" didn't he? :rolleyes:
    Not necessarily the best ever, but one of them.

And tbh, alot of the Brazilian teams could be put forward for that.

There were just so many legends in that team, especially the strike force. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    i am not resentful cos i knew we would lose. The England team are a bunch of overpaid, sissy men who are not worth the boots they wear. They need to learn a thing or two from the winning 1966 team. That was an era when pride and country mattered. All today's footballers care about is money and shagging ****s. Where is the passion for the game. Where is the passion to play for your country? I don't think there is any passion these days. We're living in the age where money makes the world go round....shame that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babycakes Barbie)
    lollllll i loved the ghana matches loll bare representing half of me lolll altho i genuinely cried when they missed the penalty lolll i think they did kinda well tho to get so far... dunno if it was luck or actual skill tho lolllll
    'bare representing half of me'? you've lost me but the bare bit sounds :cool:

you are half Ghanaian, is that what you're saying? :confused:

srrly though, it was a very poor world cup.

Ghana were a handy team tbh, certainly one of the best teams in the world cup.

ReputationRep:
    Completely disagree about 2002 being a bad world cup. Brazil were a top side back then- we saw the genius of Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Carlos etc.....plus I remember watching the England-Brazil match with my entire primary school at 8am with that howler from Seaman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)

There were just so many legends in that team, especially the strike force. :coma:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    Completely disagree about 2002 being a bad world cup. Brazil were a top side back then- we saw the genius of Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Carlos etc.....plus I remember watching the England-Brazil match with my entire primary school at 8am with that howler from Seaman.
    Some people clearly not been following football long enough? :rolleyes:

So many legends in that team? What, like Kleberson, Ricardinho, Roque Junior, Vampeta, Junior, Anderson Polga? Sure, one of the greatest sides ever indeed. :rolleyes::yucky: Where's the vomit smiley when you need it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK)
    I thought it was a dreadful World Cup and I watched most of the games with ebbing enthusiasm. I can literally remember 3 games that had anywhere near the excitement of a Premier League match: Italy - Slovakia when the Azzuri went out, Brazil - Holland and the England - Germany game that was just painful so the less said the better.
    I can remember literally no more than three games from 2002 that were anywhere near the excitement of anything: Senegal-Uruguay (3-3), USA beating Portugal 3-2, Brazil thrashing Costa Rica 5-2 and erm, I am stuck.

I think the hype might have contributed to people being disappointed by it, Group G being an example of that. Brazil, Portugal and Ivory Coast together in a group was a great prospect but the games were so dull, Portugal - Brazil being the worst if I remember rightly.
    Coulkd say the same about 2002 with hype not being fulfilled. Argentina, Italy, France and a few others all supposed to shine but tanked.

Having the champions only manage a goal a game through their knockout stage games was also pretty turgid.
    Euro 2004 was no better then.

ReputationRep:
    loll i dont get what the whole fuss about vuvuzelas was about i mean it was their culture or what not - football players have to man up n deal with it loll i really didnt find them that bad... quite jokes actually... n i swear the atmosphere was better than other world cups... i mean was it only me who saw africans dancing in the stands with a full drum kit lolllll

hu ever sed SA was racist... are u colour blind... most people there are black and they dont even care whether u are white or asian or whatever colour u are loll i felt they were 1 country who felt priviledged to host the WC. It might be dangerous but as is all places which hold the world cup... i mean u cant say England doesnt have hooligans! n i agree with the first person... England was rubbish but there are always teams which are x10 better to watch anyway seeming as it was the WORLD playing!!!

we all need to accept defeat and admit when we played **** instead of blaming others for the altitude and the shape of the ball!!! get over the fact Russia are hosting the next 1 cos we cant even build a decent stadium for the Olympics let alone fund a World Cup in the upcoming years when we are meant to be having cut backs!!! seriously... :| on a happy note tho i thought the world cup wasnt all too bad this year... it got better as it progressed! lolllll

lollllll i loved the ghana matches loll bare representing half of me lolll altho i genuinely cried when they missed the penalty lolll i think they did kinda well tho to get so far... dunno if it was luck or actual skill tho lolllll
    wtf omfg u dont hlf tlk in txtspk lollll. u saying lol at everything y bother? wt is da point, lrn 2 spl prply. lolllllll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)

There were so many legends too in Italy 2006 and with Spain 2010, more so than that 2002 Brazil squad. Please don't tell me you are one of those people who orgasms over the yellow shirt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    'bare representing half of me'? you've lost me but the bare bit sounds :cool:

you are half Ghanaian, is that what you're saying? :confused:

srrly though, it was a very poor world cup.

Ghana were a handy team tbh, certainly one of the best teams in the world cup.
    lollllll ur a joker yh im half Ghanian, half Mauritian but its not like a tiny indian island wud end up in the world cup is it lolll so i had to root for Ghana hehe

ReputationRep:
    wtf omfg u dont hlf tlk in txtspk lollll. u saying lol at everything y bother? wt is da point, lrn 2 spl prply. lolllllll
    lolll i cant help it , my bad i laugh at everything... well most things loll learnt o spell properly... is that was u were tryna say loll in u abbreviations loll cos that was x10 worse than me :P

ReputationRep:
    lolll i cant help it , my bad i laugh at everything... well most things loll learnt o spell properly... is that was u were tryna say loll in u abbreviations loll cos that was x10 worse than me :P
    wtf u on lollz u not get jks?

I was using deliberate textspeak to take the pish.

ReputationRep:
    There were so many legends too in Italy 2006 and with Spain 2010, more so than that 2002 Brazil squad. Please don't tell me you are one of those people who orgasms over the yellow shirt?
    More legends in the Italy 06 squad? :lolwut:

About your last post, every squad has a few crap players in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    More legends in the Italy 06 squad? :lolwut:

About your last post, every squad has a few crap players in it.
    Buffon, Cannavaro, Materazzi, Zambrotta, Grosso, De Rossi, Totti, Del Piero, Gattuso, Pirlo, Camoranesi, Inzaghi, Peruzzi, Toni, Gilardino, Nesta and even Perrotta are just as legendary as most of the Brazil 02 squad.

All of the above have been well known in Serie A (or in a few cases, other foreign leagues) before and after WM06. That's practically three quarters of the squad I mentioned and how can anyone not agree that those names are quite legendary and among the best Italian players of the last decade, many of whose legendary statuses stretch as far back as Euro 2000.

If Lucio and Gilberto Silva are "legends" then so are Cannavaro, Materazzi and Gattuso and even Simone Perrotta.

ReputationRep:
    Because England did ****, despite misguided hype.

2006 was the best recent World Cup, Zidane's headbutt was classic.

ReputationRep:
    Buffon, Cannavaro, Materazzi, Zambrotta, Grosso, De Rossi, Totti, Del Piero, Gattuso, Pirlo, Camoranesi, Inzaghi, Peruzzi, Toni, Gilardino, Nesta and even Perrotta are just as legendary as most of the Brazil 02 squad.

All of the above have been well known in Serie A (or in a few cases, other foreign leagues) before and after WM06. That's practically three quarters of the squad I mentioned and how can anyone not agree that those names are quite legendary and among the best Italian players of the last decade, many of whose legendary statuses stretch as far back as Euro 2000.

If Lucio and Gilberto Silva are "legends" then so are Cannavaro, Materazzi and Gattuso and even Simone Perrotta.
    Tbh, Id only really put Buffon, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Totti, Del Piero and Nesta as legends out of them.

Id put Cafu, Lucio, Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo and Kaka out of the 2002 Brazil team. Maybe a few others but I cba. Ronaldo is ofc the stand out player - along with Zidane - of the last 15 years.

ReputationRep:
    Boring, no atmosphere, empty stadiums and poor quality pitches. Need more?

ReputationRep:
    And calling it the worst ever etc.

OK, it may not have been exactly the best world cup ever but even last week in the 2018/2022 hosting discussions the dismissal of the South African summer festival as the absolute worst ever refuses to go away. Do some people really have such short memories and forget how appallingly painfully dreadful 2002 in Korea/Japan was?

Common reasons why I hear people saying this:-

The vuvuzelas - yeah OK, always going to divide opinion. But not as anyoning as the sound of gormless twits randomly whistling.
    Star players failing to perform - Rooney, Drogba, Ronaldo..... Erm, this was almost the exact same issue as in 2002 where far more high profile stars failed to shine. And those who call Messi one of this year's flops just because he failed to score a goal really know nothing. Plenty of other class acts made 2010 memorable enough.
    Boring games - I admit the first week was appalling. But it picked up and there were certainly far more fun games than in 2002, a world cup that for me was dead as soon as the knock-outs began, and the complete utter joke that was the Korea circus got underway fluking their progress thanks to biased referees.
    Lack of atmosphere - You could say that about 2002, or even Eurocrap 96. I know that was not a world cup but still a dire tournament full of dull games and where any game not involving England seemed to be only a quarter full.
    Failure of England - Oh please. Get over yourselves and learn to realise this is a WORLD cup and there are other teams worth watching.

Although I think 2006 was slightly more entertaining (and surely perhaps the best of the last 20 years) 2010 was not that bad, was it?

I'd rank and recall as follows:-

2010 - Quite fun. Dreadful first week and dull final too let it down but some fun in between.
    2006 - Brilliant and unforgettable for the most part. After the horrors of 2002, it felt that football was back. The tension of the Italy-France final reminded me why I became a football fan in the first place all those years ago. There may have been a few stinkers in the second round (Swi-Ukr for example) but they were the exception to the rule. Just as many classics in equal measure. So many happy memories.
    2002 - Utter pile of ****e. Nearly all big names failed to deliver. Boring negative dull defensive players shone, the complete joke of Korea, seeing an incredibly poor Germany get an easy ride to the final, seeing an ordinary Brazil win, the whole England-Argentina circus. So many dull games. ****ing hated it. Absolute worst ever.
    1998 - Happy ending certainly but do not understand why so many go overboard calling it the best ever. Some memorable games yes but an equal number of forgettable ones too.
    1994 - Great fun, attacking football is back after the ugly horrors of 1990. Lots of classics. Dull final however. Great fun just being in America.
    1990 - I do have a nostalgic soft spot for this and there were some unforgettable moments of drama (e.g. the two semi-finals plus the emergence of Cameroon) but the plethora of 1-0s and 0-0s was excruciating and no better than 2010.

So many great classics from before 1990 however.

But seriously, why so many people with short memories call SA 2010 the worst ever?
    How can you say Germany was extremely poor in 2002? All you can say is that they had an easy way to the final, but how does that mean they were poor? IDIOT!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Tbh, Id only really put Buffon, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Totti, Del Piero and Nesta as legends out of them.

Id put Cafu, Lucio, Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo and Kaka out of the 2002 Brazil team. Maybe a few others but I cba. Ronaldo is ofc the stand out player - along with Zidane - of the last 15 years.
    Kaka was there in 2002 but only played about 20 minutes of a first round game so not sure if I could rate his contribution much!

Gilardino, Toni and Inzaghi have all been consistent goalscorers for club and country for a number of years, definately enough to be regarded as legends. Pirlo and De Rossi continue to be top dogs to this day and how can you not regard Totti as a legend? "lolwut" indeed!

(Original post by llpokermuffinll)
    How can you say Germany was extremely poor in 2002? All you can say is that they had an easy way to the final, but how does that mean they were poor? IDIOT!
    Hey there Mr. Rude and Insolent, I also meant to say they ahd an easy route to the final as well as having a very average team (virtually the same players who lost 5-1 to England and could not beat Finland to save their lives in qualifying). Without such an easy route to the final, a poor team like this (Carsten Jancker, Jens Jeremies were regulars) would never have gotten far. Are you too thick and stupid to work this out?

ReputationRep:
    Kaka was there in 2002 but only played about 20 minutes of a first round game so not sure if I could rate his contribution much!

Gilardino, Toni and Inzaghi have all been consistent goalscorers for club and country for a number of years, definately enough to be regarded as legends. Pirlo and De Rossi continue to be top dogs to this day and how can you not regard Totti as a legend? "lolwut" indeed!

Hey there Mr. Rude and Insolent, I also meant to say they ahd an easy route to the final as well as having a very average team (virtually the same players who lost 5-1 to England and could not beat Finland to save their lives in qualifying). Without such an easy route to the final, a poor team like this (Carsten Jancker, Jens Jeremies were regulars) would never have gotten far. Are you too thick and stupid to work this out?
    What sort of logic is that? It's like saying Spain had a poor team because they lost to Switzerland in the first match of the World Cup, which is indeed a very important match. This was in the same tournament and can't be compared to what you are saying (comparing world cup with qualifying).

Not for no reason, Ballack, Klose, and Kahn were voted as some of the best players of the tournament.

ReputationRep:
    IMO people already seem much more resentful about the 2018 World Cup, even though it hasn't happened yet. Determined that it's going to be absolute ****e just because England aren't hosting it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.