Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Personal Weight-loss Success Stories? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceWater)
    Cheers for taking the time out to explain this, a lot better than the people who just state and then say **** like "acccept it fakkit".

Two questions; everyone says salt is bad, but what exactly is wrong with high sodium intake. Why is retaining water not good?
    High sodium is bad for two reasons. First of all retaining water gives one the bloated look, also counts as added weight. If you're striving for the defined look excessive sodium consumption will go directly against this.

(Original post by IceWater)
    Secondly, if junk food doesn't have these decent macronutrients, what exactly is the extra "stuff" made of and why is it unfavourable? May just be secondary school dogma but I always assumed that most of food is made up of those classes of macronutrient.
    Depends on the junk food. Look at the back of any sweet or crisp box and you'll find it loaded with additives. Alot of time google searches of these additives will link you to numerous studies pontificating how bad of them can be. Essentially in most junk food you will also find your carbs, protein and fats. However the amount the contain often distinguish the quality of the product. A healthy ratio of fat/carbs/protein is about 15/40/35. At the same time you dont want to be consuming more calories than you burn. Now eating a pack or two of crisps which have about 400kcal, hardly any protein and loads of carbs will make it difficult to reach your daily target.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miike1234)
    I heard an interesting piece of advice once, you should only eat food with the same amount, or less, fat than the body fat you want to be.

So if you want to be 10% body fat, then only eat foods with 10g, or less, fat per 100g.
    lol OP I wouldn't follow this advice

ReputationRep:
    Right, so my advice which was effectively 'if you want to lose some weight, try to avoid high fat foods' and you're slating it?

I'm not telling people to cut fats out of their diet, I'm saying eat healthy foods! You've manipulated what I said in your head so you can trash talk.
    Pizza and chips are not healthy at all.

ReputationRep:
    ...but the food in which they're getting calories from should be low in fat
    It doesn't have to be. Fats are essential for optimum health and to aid fat loss, the vast majority of people don't eat anywhere near enough quality fats.

Society as a whole has strayed further and further away from diets containing fat but what else has happened in that time? We're becoming increasingly obese as a nation and increasingly unhealthy.

and a good guide to knowing how much fat your food should contain is by eating less than the body fat % you want to be.
    Absolute nonsense - the bigger and more active you are, the higher your requirement for fats (among other things) not the inverse.

Right, so my advice which was effectively 'if you want to lose some weight, try to avoid high fat foods' and you're slating it?

I'm not telling people to cut fats out of their diet, I'm saying eat healthy foods! You've manipulated what I said in your head so you can trash talk.
    If a food is high in fat that does not instantly mean that it's unhealthy. Likewise everybody (especially someone trying to lose weight) has a requirement for quality fats - far more than what you recommend.

The Pizza Express Pizzas aren't actually that bad, the ingredients are decent quality, unlike the Tesco value pizzas.
    Ha ha ha.

Lean beef and high protein snacks is hardly going to be the main supplement in a programme that is just about losing some weight. Your knowledge is clearly based upon mass building, in which bring on the steaks and nuts.
    High protein and moderate-high fat diets are associated with greater weight loss overall and of that, greater fat loss.

Everyone needs a well balanced diet
    However a low fat, low protein diet is not healthy, it is not balanced and it is not an effective fat loss diet.

and if you're trying to loose weight you need regular small healthy meals,
    Meal frequency has little or no effect on fat loss. To increase the thermic effect of feeding you're have to consume grossly more calories than are burned through the thermic effect of feeding making it a totally counterproductive exercise.

I'm sticking to foods that are under 10% fat and it does seem to be helping (but I am doing HIIT 3-4 times a week as well).
    You're losing weight not because of your nonsensical theory, it's due to the fact that you've created a calorie deficit by exercising more and eating less. You could have just as easily cut back on your carbohydrate intake and lost weight (in fact you'd have probably lost significantly more).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Dont quote it as its absolute garbage.
    Wait what I said was garbage, what he said was or both?

If me explain to me why? I'd like to learn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babygirl110)
    lol OP I wouldn't follow this advice
    This. The 10% figure has been picked out of nowhere considering nuts are around 25% fat.

ReputationRep:
    Since i got to uni in September i lost about a stone.

Did through through cutting down on my food intake SLIGHTLY but mainly by making what i ate a lot healthier.
    eg instead of a pizza for dinner i had Tuna/Pasta etc...

Also cut out 99% of chocolate/fizy drinks/other unhealthy ****...

I also went to the gym 3 times a week, would do double exercise class on tuesday of spinning 6-7 then 4*4(mix of spinning/resistnace exercises) 7-8, would go running or cycling outside on thursdays and then weekend would be spinning saturday morning and then probably cycling or swimming or the occasional run on sundays...

Basically OP: Eat slightly lessfoods and better foods and exercise a bit. Isn't magic...

And also, i did lol at the guy saying not to eat anything over 10% fat.
    Some fats are good and some aren't...

ReputationRep:
    I lost 2 stone.
    I got a dog and stopped eating chocolate.

ReputationRep:
    I heard an interesting piece of advice once, you should only eat food with the same amount, or less, fat than the body fat you want to be.

So if you want to be 10% body fat, then only eat foods with 10g, or less, fat per 100g.
    lol what *******s, should I stop eating avocados too?

(Original post by shubham_ag)

1)COMPLETELY avoid junk food. You need to STOP eating useless stuff if you want to see quick and drastic changes in your body structure.
    Don't have to be THAT strict, can cheat once a week or something with a meal, e.g. I still eat a pizza about once a week cos I like it, the rest of my diets v clean though, can occasionally give into temptation as long as you don't make a habit of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siobherz)
    Hey, I've been trying to lose weight for a while (only about half a stone...I'm a bit rounder than I should be) and while the fitness forum is helpful on technical advice I just wondered if there's anyone who has their own suggestions for what worked for them and got them results, not just 'eat less and do cardio' but how much did you do, and what calories/food/recipes would you reccomend? And what weight loss did you see? This would be really helpful so thanks in advance if anyone replies.

Siobherz
    End of Season band rehearsals and camps 2008 + bronchitis meant I lost a stone in about 5 weeks. It was around 20 hours a week of marching and playing, plus 5 hours of musical rehersals, lots of travelling and late nights/early mornings, heavy competition nerves and 6th form 9-3 everyday. I wasn't hungry because of being ill, so just drank energy drinks for a boost on the field.

I wasn't actually trying to lose weight but I did, I find that taking a similar approach now by cutting down on how much I eat and a sort of frenzy of exercise (it helps if it's one you enjoy!) is very good at trimming several pounds. DON'T do what I did if you're ill, I didn't notice til the band season ended but my bronchitis was so severe because of all the exercise, cold weather and strain of my athsma that I was nearly hospitalised! Make sure you get all your nutrients too!

ReputationRep:
    I lost 5 stone in 13 months with the old Weight Watchers Discover Plan. Went from 14.5stone and a size 20 to 9.5stone and a size 10/12.

Its not about what you eat but eating in proportion. You can have anything as long as its moderation:-D

ReputationRep:
    The summer before uni, I lost 3 stone.

I got a job at McDonalds and walked miles each day whilst working there. I stopped eating junk food cause I didn't have the time to. I also ate less for some reason. Not quite sure why but I just did.

I've lost another half a stone since being back at uni this year as a result of having too much work to think about food. I don't boredom eat at uni because I can usually find something else to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    lol what *******s, should I stop eating avocados too?

Don't have to be THAT strict, can cheat once a week or something with a meal, e.g. I still eat a pizza about once a week cos I like it, the rest of my diets v clean though, can occasionally give into temptation as long as you don't make a habit of it
    I WAS that strict. I almost went anorexic for 6 months. Wouldn't advise anyone to do that though. I was 15 then and I think it stopped my growth. I am stuck at 5'5 now and I am 18.

On the plus side: I landed the hottest girl in school that time and she is still with me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tango189)
    This. The 10% figure has been picked out of nowhere considering nuts are around 25% fat.
    Lol, that post had me in fits of laughter. I don't know where he got that from.

ReputationRep:
    I have some almonds in front of me at 52.8% fat, some brazil nuts at 68.3% fat and some pecans at 72% fat. :awesome:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shawshank)
    I have some almonds in front of me at 52.8% fat, some brazil nuts at 68.3% fat and some pecans at 72% fat. :awesome:
    Whereas I have shortbread with 8% fat =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Whereas I have shortbread with 8% fat =D
    Nuts > shortbread
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shawshank)
    Nuts > shortbread
    Not when you are allergic :nope:

Although in my case I just dislike the taste of nuts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellsbells3032)
    I lost 5 stone in 13 months with the old Weight Watchers Discover Plan. Went from 14.5stone and a size 20 to 9.5stone and a size 10/12.

Its not about what you eat but eating in proportion. You can have anything as long as its moderation:-D
    I can completely vouch for weight watchers!! I lost a stone in 5 weeks the summer before last, going from 10 stone 12 and a size 12/14, to 9 stone 12 and a size 10/12. I lost a few pounds even after I stopped going to meetings, and now I generally hover between 9 stone 7 and 9 stone 12.
    I love weight watchers because it's completely realistic- Nothing is out of bounds, you just have to eat a certain amount of points. It teaches you a lot about food and portion control, as you realise that the healthier food you have, the more you can eat, rather than wasting your entire days allowance on one fatty meal.
    I might even go back after Christmas, as I would like to lose a few more pounds and I just need to another kick start.

ReputationRep:
    Weight watchers is just all about points. They converted calories to points and the points system works in such a way that you'll never exceed a certain amount of calories in a day.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.