Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is our contemporary society laughable? Watch

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I doubt Amy Winehouse, Wayne Rooney and Paul Gascoigne are great examples of celebrities who people idolise. I haven't heard anything of Amy Winehouse for months and people only appreciated she has a good voice. Everyone knows Rooney is cretin but people recognise his footballing ability. Paul Gascoigne? People see him as one of the greatest footballers England has ever seen, but I doubt anybody classes him as a role model. When you say we crave them, I think you mean we appreciate their talents and enjoy experiencing them. Those who crave seeing them in the papers for their personal problems are fewer in number than you would like to think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    In other words, only fluff, relative only to our current society. When there was no globalisation, there was less need for global telecommunications. Globalisation only exists due to capitalism, and capitalism may not last forever.

This is the common societal definition, and the one put forward by most on this website.
    Globalisation is good for our world. What kind of stupid ignorant person wouldnt realise that? Globalisation means the world is closer, businesses can trade easier from businesses across the world, resources can be exchanged at a much much quicker rate.. news can travel half way across the world in seconds .. people can see and talk to family members hundreds of miles away. So many more examples. How idiotic do you have to be to think these are bad things that we would be better without?

This website does not represent society as a whole, this website is full of people aiming for the top levels of life, thus anyone with any brains at all (which you dont seem to have) would realise that views posted on this website are not the views of the average person in this country.

ReputationRep:
    Of course people can do what they want. Who doesn't recognise that?

I'm simply saying that none of these things have any inherent importance.
    Oh I agree, I think in the grand scheme of things none of this will actually matter, but then again neither will what I say to you on here .

That said, having an Iphone or Blackberry etc seems to be important to some people, and I respect that opinion.

However personally I agree with what you said earlier - they don't have importance as the things that are important are the basic human needs - shelter, food and most importantly love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaun1991)
    To be honest, I doubt Amy Winehouse, Wayne Rooney and Paul Gascoigne are great examples of celebrities who people idolise. I haven't heard anything of Amy Winehouse for months and people only appreciated she has a good voice. Everyone knows Rooney is cretin but people recognise his footballing ability. Paul Gascoigne? People see him as one of the greatest footballers England has ever seen, but I doubt anybody classes him as a role model. When you say we crave them, I think you mean we appreciate their talents and enjoy experiencing them. Those who crave seeing them in the papers for their personal problems are fewer in number than you would like to think.
    I disagree. I think many celebrities have issues.

Globalisation is good for our world. What kind of stupid ignorant person wouldnt realise that? Globalisation means the world is closer, businesses can trade easier from businesses across the world, resources can be exchanged at a much much quicker rate.. news can travel half way across the world in seconds .. people can see and talk to family members hundreds of miles away. So many more examples. How idiotic do you have to be to think these are bad things that we would be better without?
    Did I say that globalisation was bad?
    This website does not represent society as a whole, this website is full of people aiming for the top levels of life, thus anyone with any brains at all (which you dont seem to have) would realise that views posted on this website are not the views of the average person in this country.
    Which society is this? UK society is not as cultured as you seem it to be. Perhaps your clique is, but by and large it is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craiky1506)
    Oh I agree, I think in the grand scheme of things none of this will actually matter, but then again neither will what I say to you on here .

That said, having an Iphone or Blackberry etc seems to be important to some people, and I respect that opinion.
    All because a social meme says so, not any absolute belief. Our society works based on memes that in themselves hold little substance.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. I think many celebrities have issues.
    So does everybody. It doesn't mean their issues are the primary reason people take an interest in them.

ReputationRep:
    So does everybody. It doesn't mean their issues are the primary reason people take an interest in them.
    No they don't. People are perfect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    One, rooney is not a cheater.. he is one the most honest footballers out there, if you watched any football you'd know that.
    1. Rooney does have the occasional dive. Aswell as clapping in refs faces, stamping on peoples testicles amoung other things.
    2. Im pretty sure he was talking about the whole prostitute-while-his-wife-was-pregnant-thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    1. Rooney does have the occasional dive. Aswell as clapping in refs faces, stamping on peoples testicles amoung other things.
    2. Im pretty sure he was talking about the whole prostitute-while-his-wife-was-pregnant-thing.
    So does every proffessional footballer .. OP picking out some of the worst celebrities for recent things they have done is not a way to generalise , especially with some of the true iconic celebrities we have.

I realised that earlier, it is said an another post.. you cannot say **** about having celebrities who cheat on people when most of the united kingdom have, and so have millions if not billions across the whole world, thus this is no reflection on our society in any way.

ReputationRep:
    So does every proffessional footballer .. OP picking out some of the worst celebrities for recent things they have done is not a way to generalise , especially with some of the true iconic celebrities we have.

I realised that earlier, it is said an another post.. you cannot say **** about having celebrities who cheat on people when most of the united kingdom have, and so have millions if not billions across the whole world, thus this is no reflection on our society in any way.
    who has cheated? these people clearly are flawed and not god-like as presented?

ReputationRep:
    By that logic, life isn't worth living. We put all our time and effort into life however at the end of the day it is all in vain because we will eventually die anyway.

However that type of logic is just bull****.

ReputationRep:
    Who sees them as gods? You? And if you're just trying to be stupid on purpose please get a grip.

ReputationRep:
    well it's been fun. I'm just killing time before I go to bed, but I couldn't give a **** if people craved smartphones. It's their right, as it is a person's right to do anything in life.

ReputationRep:
    What? ..

Billions of people have probably cheated on a partner ..

and what are on about being god-like ? .. and here comes the example of you being an idiot i've been seeking.

ReputationRep:
    Who sees them as gods? You? And if you're just trying to be stupid on purpose please get a grip.
    I don't care again. If people want to crave celebrities, let them. They're sad, but everybody is free in life.

ReputationRep:
    What? ..

Billions of people have probably cheated on a partner ..

and what are on about being god-like ? .. and here comes the example of you being an idiot i've been seeking.
    Infidelity is part of life, such IS life.

ReputationRep:

I was just pointing it out.

I agree with what you're saying though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care again. If people want to crave celebrities, let them. They're sad, but everybody is free in life.
    Your seriously disturbed.

ReputationRep:
    Your seriously disturbed.
    How am I disturbed? For making a post on a website?

Capitalism's ability to function is dependent upon consumerism, hence the way we are bombarded with a constant stream of 'must have' products, each one essential to our lives - we're told - until the profit margin drops away and something new has to be thought up to replace it. I'm old enough to remember the way DVD was hyped over VHS. DVDs were going to be the last word in home-cinema, crystal-clear images, CD quality sound, instant playback from any point in film, etc, etc. Now we're told DVDs are crap, the image is crap, the sound is crap, we need to buy 'Blu-Ray' because it is now the last word in home-cinema. Yeah, until the Blu-Ray market is saturated and profits diminish, then something else will have to be thought up. The thing is, I think that there's probably only so many innovations that can be turned into viable products before there's no more incentive to buy a new product. I'm not suggesting that we've reached the end of the road just yet but we might be close.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.