Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    21 is a majority. I remember Tony Blair's one had a majority of 4.

I disagree with the policy, but I can't argue that it was "rushed".
    yeah but than lib dems voted how they wanted :p:

i joke if it was pointed out by backbenchers as it was yesterday than clearly some issue, i think a tory MP said he voted against it because it was rushed, 5 hours worth of debate something like that

why where the tories against it last time when it went up to £3000?, unless they supported it and the number of labour MP who voted against it was that bad
    thats just a general question

ReputationRep:
    No. What I condemn is the violence of the protesters and illegal tactics of the police, not the Government taking a stab at freeing education (even if the move is useless).

(Original post by robinson999)
      yeah but than lib dems voted how they wanted :p:

i joke if it was pointed out by backbenchers as it was yesterday than clearly some issue, i think a tory MP said he voted against it because it was rushed, 5 hours worth of debate something like that

why where the tories against it last time when it went up to £3000?, unless they supported it and the number of labour MP who voted against it was that bad
      thats just a general question
      Who is this pathetic MP who rushed? If I had to vote on something important, I would have done my homework. He sounds like a child on his first day at school.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
      Who is this pathetic MP who rushed? If I had to vote on something important, I would have done my homework. He sounds like a child on his first day at school.
      well its clearly not David Davis, i think i may have been Julian Lewis, he seems worried that because there was only a 5 hour debate on the issue, it wasn't enough time, and a few other issues

ReputationRep:
      If this motion is based upon the fact that the debate in the Chamber was 5 hours long, the debate had been had out in the media, in the open for over a month, I highly doubt that 650 people suddenly found something to say that had not been said before that totalled more than 5 hours. The debate had been going on for over a month, and any new points would have been minimal.

(Original post by simontinsley)
        An hour was more than enough, I would have though. Only the unprepared would have needed to discuss anything. 5 hours! My God!
        • Community Assistant
        • Wiki Support Team
        • Political Ambassador
        • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
        Nay. The RL Parliament was only implementing a review which had been thought out. The debate was done there and in parliament. I can't see how it was rushed through.

ReputationRep:
        There was a full review held by Lord Browne, you don't get much more comprehensive than that!

ReputationRep:
        Aye

ReputationRep:
        Aye, the number of MPs with points still to raise after five hours show that the bill deserved more debate.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by elli_emc)
        Aye, the number of MPs with points still to raise after five hours show that the bill deserved more debate.
        Thats MPS loving the sound of their own voices.

I doubt you would hear anything original whatsoever coming out their mouths.

Indeed, sometimes I wander whether these long debated are necessary at all on certain issues. The majority of it is repeated points, one after the other after the other. It is rather tedious to watch. I'm surprised the speaker doesn't fall asleep.

ReputationRep:
        If this motion is based upon the fact that the debate in the Chamber was 5 hours long, the debate had been had out in the media, in the open for over a month, I highly doubt that 650 people suddenly found something to say that had not been said before that totalled more than 5 hours. The debate had been going on for over a month, and any new points would have been minimal.
        thats not the point, we elect these people to have these debate, and because you agree with it, some how a 5 hour debate is out of hand
        the brown review brought more than one policy up

and really MPs can't say alot outside that will make other MPs listen to them

yes because the media is a great tool, we have sky news with its oh so un-biased view, channel 4 never touched it, and the bbc can't be seen to be going hardcore on this because than they get called left winged

if MP want to debate on a issue why not let them, who is it hurting

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Musty_Elbow)
        Thats MPS loving the sound of their own voices.

I doubt you would hear anything original whatsoever coming out their mouths.
        Back that up with data.

ReputationRep:
        No, the Browne review was highly comprehensive and the bill just passed had some changes to that. After 5 hours, I fail to see how anything new can come to light on a debate that's been going on in the media for the past month or two, as well as since the government released their plans to the public.

I watched part of the debate and in the hour and a half or so I was watching I heard some of the same points come up at least twice.

ReputationRep:
        No. Any new ideas could easily have come up in the time. The longer it went on, the more violent the scenes would have become, and the more money would have been wasted on clearing up.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Jace Falco)
        Back that up with data.
        BBC Parliament.

ReputationRep:
        As I pointed out and you ignored. The bill was passed under provisos which were not detailed. One such being the circumstances where a university would be able to charge £9,000 for their course.

MP's were told it would only be in special circumstances but when they were asked to vote they were yet to be told specificly what these circumstances were.
        • Community Assistant
        • Wiki Support Team
        • Political Ambassador
        • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Cardozo)
        As I pointed out and you ignored. The bill was passed under provisos which were not detailed. One such being the circumstances where a university would be able to charge £9,000 for their course.

MP's were told it would only be in special circumstances but when they were asked to vote they were yet to be told specificly what these circumstances were.
        However, there are some problems with this line of argument. The first is that it is not possible to debate every single point within a debate. The specific circumstances may not have been debated, but it was made clear during the debate that those unis charging £9000 would have to actually provide extra support to disadvantaged students, so I don't actually see the point myself. Also bear in mind that the longer this went on, the more violent the protests were set to become. In some ways, it is the students who have also forced this to be rushed through.

ReputationRep:
        Aye, for reasons that others have already stated. I would also be very surprised if the vote puts an end to the protests.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by JakePearson)
        No. What I condemn is the violence of the protesters and illegal tactics of the police, not the Government taking a stab at freeing education (even if the move is useless).
        As far as the violence by the students is concerned, I agree with you there. As for the illegal tactics by the police, what tactics are those?

I think the police handled it rather well all things considered.
        I think the students got off lightly anyway, because now the police tactisc are coming into review there is now talk if bringing back water cannons to deal with situations like this.

But on the plus side at least some students will get a wash :cool:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.