Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Students - Get Degrees & Leave UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bosch)
    Fine by me! just means there will be more jobs in the UK, whilst your in another country comfortably paying back your loans, works well for everyone, don't let us hold you up!
    No it won't as the population already far outweighs the number of jobs available, even more so in terms of graduate jobs. You already see large amounts of graduates applying for 1 vacancy as it is.

I'll pay back my loans but won't contribute any more than what I've received myself so therefore the country does not benefit out of me being educated.

I took £25,000 in loans and pay back £25,000 back, probably a bit more due to interest but on the whole not that much more.

Once my loan is paid I will then just pay tax to the country I live in, which won't be the UK.

So If I'm on a salary of £60,000 rather than paying £13,930.00 to the UK in tax I will pay into another system elsewhere in the world where they respect students and education.

Over ten years that is £139,300 that is not being put into the UK tax system but another tax system for another country to use.

Tax in this country just gets wasted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    I will pay back the loans I was given to get educated.

I will not however get a job in the UK to pay tax on top of that to ungrateful people moaning about students.

They can have the money to cover the tuition fee and maintenance loans I was given as they are entitled to it so I will pay 9% of my income until that debt is settled.

However as my job will be abroad the tax I contribute will go to that country, not the UK.

All students get in the UK is abuse and without students/graduates the UK would have a much worse of economy. Just you go to places in Eastern Europe and see people ploughing to live. People should be thankful that students try and better themselves as in the long run they contribute a hell of a lot more through tax contributions.
    I can't tell if you're an ironic troll or if you're being genuinely serious. You actually think people are ungrateful because they won't pay for your education for you? Or do you purely think that they're ungrateful because they call people who throw bricks at police thugs? It's not all students, certainly, and I think sane people know that, in the same way they know that when Muslim's go to picket coffins returning home and shout insensitive slogans, people know it's not all muslims. And so when they say "thugs", they're referring to the thugs. The ones running round smashing windows with bandanna's over their face like a degenerate ghetto cowboy.

And you talk about people as if they should be honoured by the opportunity to pay for you to go to university. We have more applicants than places - if you weren't going, someone else would be. And for a lot of people, the en masse swamping of graduates into the jobs market has harmed them. Jobs that, twenty years ago, could have been done by anyone with a few O or A levels now requires a degree; That certainly wouldn't benefit a 40 year old who grew up at a time when university was free but there were no loans for livings cost - aka, where it was genuinely unattainable for those with lower incomes, unlike now. Most of them never had the opportunity to go to university - and now you're suggesting that they should be grateful that you are?

The sense of entitlement of our generation is truly staggering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadow99)
    Leaving the UK after graduation is a great idea, but be aware that this won't exempt you from paying back tuition fees and student loans.

The Student Loans company will still hunt you down and try to make you pay even if you live in Australia.

Yesterday was the day that the Lib Dems killed higher education in this country. 9k in fees today and then after a few years and inflation what next 20k a year ? 30k ? This won't be the last rise in tuition fees.
    However there are some countries where they wont be able to come and get you. Such as Cuba.

ReputationRep:
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaa I'm a student I might have to pay money back for a University education that I chose to get, still subsidised by the government (total cost is 12000 a year per student, estimated), which I didn't have to pay absolutely anything upfront for and I don't have to start paying back till I'm earning a good living wage! I'm going to move away and not pay a dime to the government that did so much for me!

You're living in a dream world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-boss-91)
    Being in the film industry art department doesn't tie me to UK, i might go abroad for work
    Are you really going to go to University to study...film?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CyclopsRock)
    I can't tell if you're an ironic troll or if you're being genuinely serious. You actually think people are ungrateful because they won't pay for your education for you? Or do you purely think that they're ungrateful because they call people who throw bricks at police thugs? It's not all students, certainly, and I think sane people know that, in the same way they know that when Muslim's go to picket coffins returning home and shout insensitive slogans, people know it's not all muslims. And so when they say "thugs", they're referring to the thugs. The ones running round smashing windows with bandanna's over their face like a degenerate ghetto cowboy.

They are purely standing up for what they believe in and what they should have. Other countries in Europe have free education or very low tuition fees and still are high up in the league tables, maybe not as high as Cambridge or Oxford but still internationally recognized.

Maybe if the generations before ours stood up for what they believed in instead of going along with the status quo and allowed politicians to pass stupid and idiotic changes to the system then we wouldn't have to cause such chaos to be heard today.

Also, it seems to me that a lot of older graduates who had a free education, YES FREE, are those who are all for the rise in fees. That's a very hypocritical stance to take considering they had their education funded by the taxpayer. Also, the maintenance loans are purely in place to allow students to live whilst in university.

Also, the police have provoked many of the violent incidents students have been branded as thugs for. Most notably the police van being vandalised in the middle of a kettled crowd which was put there intentionally to provoke students and that then let the media/police/politicians to come out and brand such students as thugs. Then, one of the most absurd pieces of Royal Security I have ever seen took Prince Charles & Camilla down the route where the protests were occurring in order to cause another act of provocation. It was all a set up by politicians and the media.

And you talk about people as if they should be honoured by the opportunity to pay for you to go to university. We have more applicants than places - if you weren't going, someone else would be. And for a lot of people, the en masse swamping of graduates into the jobs market has harmed them. Jobs that, twenty years ago, could have been done by anyone with a few O or A levels now requires a degree; That certainly wouldn't benefit a 40 year old who grew up at a time when university was free but there were no loans for livings cost - aka, where it was genuinely unattainable for those with lower incomes, unlike now. Most of them never had the opportunity to go to university - and now you're suggesting that they should be grateful that you are?

The fact is, I have heard countless people in the media saying that students are a waste of space doing stupid degrees for nothing yet these same people fail to realise that without students putting the time and effort in to learn these things our country would not keep on par with other nations throughout the world. Maybe you should point your fingers at those committing tax evasion and those illegally claiming benefits rather than students who are not claiming, they are taking out LOANS, which have to be paid back.

Students should get far more respect for putting in the time and effort to learn new skills to not only benefit themselves but benefit the economy in the long run.

If I'm a student and I take out a £25,000 loan and then pay that back after that I will be contributing tax based on my salary, which for graduates is normally a lot higher than those who are not graduates. Basically, this is how the government makes money of graduates and how the taxpayer is better off.

Or would you rather everyone just get a low end job paying small contributions of tax meaning less goes to the government and the economy? No.

On a salary of £60,000 I will pay in tax every year roughly £14,000. That over 10 years is £140,000. Take £25,000 out of that for the loans I received so that leaves a profit of taxable contributions made by the government from me of £115,000.

Therefore, thanks to me the government is £115,000 better off than it would have been than had I not gone to university.

The key issue is scrapping Mickey Mouse degrees but instead of getting rid of such degrees the government has penalised everyone who wants to go into higher education. Some do actually do worthwhile degrees like Law, Computer Science, Medicine, Physics, Engineering and so on. However, the governments attitude is to increase for everyone including those who want a worthwhile degree which is totally unfair.

The sense of entitlement of our generation is truly staggering.
    I love how those with free educations are actually backing the increase. What hypocrites ! Like the two idiots on TalkSport Parry & Graham moaning about students yet they had free education at university and then they had the audacity to say that Media degrees are Mickey Mouse degrees yet they both work in the media and people in the BBC have media degrees. I bet their colleagues are happy with their absurd generalisations.

The whole attitude towards students in the UK is disgusting and they should get far more respect yet they don't.

I'd love to see the people moaning try and solve Quantum Theory, Quantum Physics, Calculus, Algorithms, Learn Programming Languages, Learn Artificial Intelligence, Learn Data Structures, Learn Methodologies, Learn Software Engineering, Learn Discreet Maths, Learn Law And About The Legal System, Learn About Engineering, Learn About Medicine and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    Since when were students professionals? :lolwut:

It's the police who have a duty to remain professional. The students are just rioting, there's nothing professional about it. It's not their job to riot, they don't get paid for it.
    Students aren't professional in this country. One would expect a degree of professionalism from those who are training to get positions which give them some power within society.

I bet you that those behind the violence are the ones we probably classify as 'wasters', the students whose main hobby is 'partying hard' and only ambition is getting through the next lecture ready for the spliff and night out pulling totty. Whether you agree or not with my generalisation, I personally wouldn't want a person who turns to violence in any position of power within this country. People who riot are a disgrace to our educational system.

However, I have respect for those who protest peacefully. I would join in if I could afford the trip.

But I can see benefits from raising the fees, as it will reduce the intakes and increase the value of a degree. It may help shift a generation of university students who place more emphasis on getting stoned or drunk than their own future (which is an extension of the country's future). My opinion has been influened by case studies of educational systems in other countries, where it seems there is less prevelance of this drug abuse and more cases of people going to uni to better themselves.

This isn't a sweeping generalisation, as I recognise a lot of people put in a lot of effort into their degrees. But it isn't as high a number as you'd expect.

My stance: I couldn't care less which way the fees scandal goes. I can see both sides of the argument, and I find it funny how this sort of thinking is lost in the protests.

ReputationRep:
    Leaving the UK after graduation is a great idea, but be aware that this won't exempt you from paying back tuition fees and student loans.

The Student Loans company will still hunt you down and try to make you pay even if you live in Australia.

Yesterday was the day that the Lib Dems killed higher education in this country. 9k in fees today and then after a few years and inflation what next 20k a year ? 30k ? This won't be the last rise in tuition fees.
    Student loan company will track you down? haha that is laughable. They struggle to administer the repayments of the people who are working in this country and paying tax, a lot of them slip through the net and get away without paying.

I will probably go abroad. They can't track you down if you're not paying tax in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Someone on Question Time last night said that a ridiculously small amount of the people that have gone abroad after uni don't actually pay back their student loan. Does anyone know how accurate this is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    Since when were students professionals? :lolwut:

It's the police who have a duty to remain professional. The students are just rioting, there's nothing professional about it. It's not their job to riot, they don't get paid for it.
    And the police did their job in a professional manner by controlling the riot and smashing in the scum who thought it was clever to start fires and vandalise statues. What do you propose they do, let the student vandalise public property and smash windows and watch on the sidelines? The people who were involved in the violence ARE, by their very actions, thugs, and I hope they get prosecuted to the hilt.

ReputationRep:

Why have the Lib Dems killed it? All three parties are partially responsible. Labour commissioned it, the Conservatives actioned it and the Lib Dems helped them do so.

And moving abroad because some people are criticising students in general is just a stupid idea. They won't know you've moved abroad and they won't care. I'm moving abroad because I want to - it's stupid to make such a big life decision just to spite a handful of people who won't even know you are spiting them anyway.

ReputationRep:
    The police are a complete and utter disgrace.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11972771

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...en-police.html

They are definitely a legalised gang and the entry requirements are so laughable that anyone with any background or motive can get into the force which is why you always see bent officers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.