Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will the rise in tuition fees deter you from attending uni? Watch

• View Poll Results: Has the rise deterred you?
    Yes
    22.83%
    No
    77.17%

ReputationRep:
    Although the rise doesn't effect me, if for some reason I completely screwed up my a levels to the point where I couldn't get in at any university and had to re-sit my A2's and so apply next year. The rise would not deter me at all. For two reasons, firstly I value education enough to see a degree as worth doing even with inceased fees, and secondly I hardly see how finance should be an issue to anyone with regards to increased fees as everyone gets a loan to cover. I mean honestly I cannot see how on earth monitary status makes a difference one way or the other if the degree is worth doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    I only wish the reforms came into effect asap. I want to pay £7 per month instead of £45 too!!!
    The way I worked it out for a £7000 a year degree (idk why i said £7000) with estimated living costs you're looking at £109 a month for the 30 years of repayment plus interest on the £11,000 bank loan you'd have to be taking out to cover your costs (assuming you've got the max student loan and grant CURRENTLY available from the Government).

D:
    More financial assistance please.

It's not putting me off university exactly, just making me look at other options. Like going to Spain where my entire degree will cost under £900.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    That's not deprived.

That's just too stupid to claim JSA.

People on JSA are rich.

If you on JSA you ain't need to do anything.

The government may as well deliver it in a big envelope on your Birthday saying

" Happy Birthday Moth*r****er! Here's Some More Money For Nothing! Have A Good Day And Remember, Winter Allowance For Christmas, Happy Holidays ! "

No one in this country should be deprived as benefits mean everyone has a way of living.

£50-60 per week to sit on my ass. Sign me up right now ! I'll even sell my soul if I have to. That offer sounds to good to be true. Us working folk have to work 1-2 days to get that sort of money but I can get it without moving. Damn, this sounds so good.

That's 21 pot noodles for 7 x 3 meals a week = £21
    That leaves me with £15 to spend on booze and hookers ( she may be an ugly hooker but if the beats all right she will dance all night ) - sign me up !

Then I'll invest the other £14 into my new found tax free business I'm gunna be rich - won't be long before I'm in my Cadillac and you're paying your students loans back haha ! My rims just spinning and spinning and spinning and spinning!
    You're one of the biggest diks going, well done Richard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VickyDoodle)
    The way I worked it out for a £7000 a year degree (idk why i said £7000) with estimated living costs you're looking at £109 a month for the 30 years of repayment plus interest on the £11,000 bank loan you'd have to be taking out to cover your costs (assuming you've got the max student loan and grant CURRENTLY available from the Government).

D:
    More financial assistance please.

It's not putting me off university exactly, just making me look at other options. Like going to Spain where my entire degree will cost under £900.
    What? You don't have to pay the whole loan back if you're not earning enough!

You pay 9% of any earnings above £21,000. SO to pay £109 a month you'd have to be earning £35,533 a year if my calculations are correct.

You stop paying when you reach the amount your loan is (plus interest) or 30 years, whichever comes first.

Quote if you need any more explaining to make it clearer!

btw what do you mean about a bank loan? Why do you think you'll need one of those? I don't know any student with one of those...

take a look at the chart in this link: http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/20...ons-education/
    Earnings Annual Repayments now ___Annual Repayments under proposals
    £15,000 __Nothing____________________Nothing
    £16,000 __£9_______________________Nothing
    £21,000 __£540 _____________________Nothing
    £22,000 __£630_____________________£90
    £30,000 __£1,350 ___________________£810
    £40,000 __£2,250 ___________________£1,710
    £50,000 __£3,150 ___________________£2,610

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    What? You don't have to pay the whole loan back if you're not earning enough!

You pay 9% of any earnings above £21,000. SO to pay £109 a month you'd have to be earning £35,533 a year if my calculations are correct.

You stop paying when you reach the amount your loan is (plus interest) or 30 years, whichever comes first.

Quote if you need any more explaining to make it clearer!

btw what do you mean about a bank loan? Why do you think you'll need one of those? I don't know any student with one of those...

take a look at the chart in this link: http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/20...ons-education/
    Less paying off means more debt building up. Then when you get a promotion and a better salary you still have debt to take out of your wage. Better to start paying off as soon as you get a job really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King-Panther)
    You're one of the biggest diks going, well done Richard!
    Chill out, I was only messing.

ReputationRep:
    Less paying off means more debt building up. Then when you get a promotion and a better salary you still have debt to take out of your wage. Better to start paying off as soon as you get a job really.
    I'd rather pay less when I'm straight out of uni and looking for somewhere to live and more later when I can afford it...

That's besides the point anyway as in the post you quoted I was just clearing up the misconceptions that person had about paying the loan back.

ReputationRep:
    No it wouldn't, and it isn't going to for my sister.

ReputationRep:
    Most certainly, I would have struggled to afford the fee's as they were before. There is no way i can pay three times as much. And with me wanting a career in the arts all the funding to the area has been cut, 100% of it

ReputationRep:
    No.
    I am sick of hearing people say "I don't think I'll be able to afford to go to Uni now."
    Not to mention those acting pretentiously if I mentioned that it may not be such a bad thing. "Of course it's terrible, it's sick and inhumane! Poor people don't stand a chance; heck, even I don't stand a chance anymore! We're all going to be poor our entire lives thanks to that scum."

Urgh. Everyone is so misinformed. I actually had that conversation, people around me claiming they were now unable to go to Uni. I said "You don't actually pay until you leave Uni, get a job and are earning a certain amount of money."
    And then I get "What, so you support it? BUT IT'S RIDICULOUS!"

I know this situation isn't desirable but please, people need to get a grip. I'd like to pay 3k a year too, but this is how it is and it'll barely even affect us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samchipman)
    Most certainly, I would have struggled to afford the fee's as they were before. There is no way i can pay three times as much. And with me wanting a career in the arts all the funding to the area has been cut, 100% of it
    Please tell me you're joking or that your post is a wind-up?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ktlaurenroe)
    No.
    I am sick of hearing people say "I don't think I'll be able to afford to go to Uni now."
    Not to mention those acting pretentiously if I mentioned that it may not be such a bad thing. "Of course it's terrible, it's sick and inhumane! Poor people don't stand a chance; heck, even I don't stand a chance anymore! We're all going to be poor our entire lives thanks to that scum."

Urgh. Everyone is so misinformed. I actually had that conversation, people around me claiming they were now unable to go to Uni. I said "You don't actually pay until you leave Uni, get a job and are earning a certain amount of money."

I know this situation isn't desirable but please, people need to get a grip. I'd like to pay 3k a year too, but this is how it is and it'll barely even affect us.
    Someone who understands run out of rep for today though, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    I would've been fine with a small rise, say to around £5-6k, but to £9k really is a massive jump, and I probably would've gone and spent 4 years completing professional qualifications and getting work experience instead.

Alternatively, career in the outdoors - live at home and pay my dues for a while, whilst going out every day into the hills and by the coast to go walking, climbing, mountaineering, watersports or mountain biking.

ReputationRep:
    No way, it's definitely worth it.

Plus I have to have a degree for one of my career options.

I think the biggest problem is misinformation (Thanks to the NUS!) I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that if all those against it and protesting were truly 'clued up' on all of the facts then at least 95 percent of them would change their minds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dudleyian)
    Someone who understands run out of rep for today though, sorry!
    Thanks no problem, appreciate the thought :P

ReputationRep:
    Thanks no problem, appreciate the thought :P
    I'll try again tomorrow haha are you at University now or going in the future?

ReputationRep:
    That's not deprived.

T
    That's 21 pot noodles for 7 x 3 meals a week = £21
    That leaves me with £15 to spend on booze and hookers ( she may be an ugly hooker but if the beats all right she will dance all night ) - sign me up !
    your a bit crazy.... 1 pot noodle is not a meal.... 2 is a meal / 1 with some toast or crisps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dudleyian)
    I'll try again tomorrow haha are you at University now or going in the future?
    awh thanks and I'm in year 11 so not for a few years yet, but I hopefully will be. Yourself?

ReputationRep:
    No.

Whether or not you pay anything now or later makes little difference, at the end of the day you still have to pay it. In fact, it would be better to pay now as you skip the intrest.

but after your run of the mill BSc, you'll be looking at about £32,000 thats still got to be paid by you and in the end you'll probably end up nearer £37,000 after so much interest. Thats a lot of debt to be contending with and will take a least 8 or so years to pay off. When you graduate you don't start on 40k as some people make out, think £20k if your lucky.

Its a far bigger risk to undertake than it was before, so all thats happening is the Gov is trying to get less people to go whilst at the same time dump the entire systems costs on students so that its one less thing to fund.

People faught for free eduation for a very long time, its the only way poor people can escape poverty and they won't if they have to pay 9 grand a year for it.

Just to add, students I know struggle to pay of their 3k a year debt at the moment and one guy im taking about is on about £21k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus2)

People faught for free eduation for a very long time, its the only way poor people can escape poverty and they won't if they have to pay 9 grand a year for it.
    :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.