Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Southampton, Manchester or Sussex? watch

• View Poll Results: Southampton, Manchester or Sussex?
    Southampton
    44.68%
    Manchester
    38.30%
    Sussex
    17.02%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheouLiS)
    And Southampton?
    well u don't really need to ask that question, Southampton main course is Computer Science, from looking at uni stats they have one of the best employment rate for Computer Science than nearly any other uni

ReputationRep:
    If I saw well at unistats, Southampton has 75% employment rate and Manchester has 90% but with less percentage of satisfied people..

ReputationRep:
    If I saw well at unistats, Southampton has 75% employment rate and Manchester has 90% but with less percentage of satisfied people..
    I was looking at the wrong one, if you want better overview of the 3 unis, compare them in unistats

ReputationRep:
    That's what confuses me.. Manchester offers better employability but its students aren't so satisfied withe course.. and southampton is exactly the different! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemini89)
    Sussex definitely. I grew up just outside of Southampton, and am in my third year at Sussex, so now live in Brighton. Yeah, Southampton had decent facilities (by this I mean high street shops, clubs etc), but it's really....dull in my opinion. I can't really think of any appealing features tbh. Brighton is an awesome town to live in - yes Sussex campus is 4 miles out, but you'll most likely spend a lot of time in Brighton itself and it's easy to get to and from campus. Brighton has the beach, atmosphere, great club scene, lots of independent shops, beautiful countryside, one hour (and cheap) train trip from London, etc.

You really need to go to the open days or just visit on an ordinary day, because after all it is quite subjective whether you like a city or not. I obviously have quite strong views about Southampton, but that's mostly because I lived there for 15 years....
    I concur with everything this fellow Sussex-er said

But at the end of the day OP, you're better off visiting each uni and choosing for yourself. Sussex is good but it's by no means flawless (very few universities are). So it depends what you want, and what you feel about each one.

ReputationRep:
    Alright..

I'd like to visit open days but it's not so easy to travel to England as I have school, lessons, etc..

Anyone who has visited these unis? :P

ReputationRep:
    I went to manchester for my first year to do the BEng... there is a reason why students are not satisfied mate. I found there was not much support whatsoever from lecturers and all everyone seemed to do every night was get wasted (maybe that kind of atmosphere will appeal to you, i dunno). I transferred to southampton, best decision. Support and quality of teaching superb and the there is more of a student community than manchester which helps you a lot to get settled. The course is much more relevant to the workplace i find in soton compared to manchester which i found very boring, employability is just as good, southampton has a list of businesses that look to take on graduates.

Obviously this is just my opinion, but having lived and studied in each one, southampton wins hands down.

ReputationRep:
    The only drawback for me is that Southampton doesn't offer a placement year.. :/

Thanks a lot for your opinion! It was very helpful

ReputationRep:
    I'm a second year CompSci student so feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer them! I didn't look at either Manchester or Sussex when I applied so can't really comment on them, I will say however that I've been very happy at Soton. Be warned though the course is very theory based compared to most Unis, so that may be something to consider if you struggle with maths for example.

Another good thing (well, not for those there are the time of course!) was that most of the department burnt down in 2005 and was completely rebuilt, so the research facilities in particular are top notch

Looks much nicer now:

There's also the department's EEE building which was completed in Autumn 2009.

ReputationRep:
    Haha thanks a lot for the information.. You mean that in Manchester the course will be more practical? It will focus on engineering rather than science?

ReputationRep:
    Haha thanks a lot for the information.. You mean that in Manchester the course will be more practical? It will focus on engineering rather than science?
    I can't speak for their courses I'm afraid, only Soton's which has a lot of theory in it. Basically put it's not the course if you just expect to program all of the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spyka)
    I can't speak for their courses I'm afraid, only Soton's which has a lot of theory in it. Basically put it's not the course if you just expect to program all of the time
    No, I didn't have this intention.. But of course I want it to have a lot of practice rather than theory.. I don't my programme to be consisted only of theory and do not have practical use.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.