Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read the other responses here, but I'll offer my advice.

I'm taking AS right now, so I'm a year above you. Granted, I despise science, but I do happen to have two friends who both currently take physics, chemistry and maths, with one friend in further maths and another in biology.

The one in further maths is a mathematical genius. He got an A* in maths GCSE, and he wants to take a physics course at uni. He says he loves further maths and maths, but further maths is indeed very hard. If it's any consolation, he hates english and essay writing with a passion.

The one in biology is pursuing medicine, and as far as I know he took a maths course because he's both good at it and it goes together really wel with the sciences. Once again if any consolation, his second choice after maths was english I believe.

It's up to you, and it depends largely on what you want to do. If you love maths and physics, then I'd suggest further maths. If you like science in general then taking biology would be a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fuzzy12345)
    Ah right, cheers guys. You're probably right. Furhter maths would probably be the best option for me.

But I've got another question. I don't want to go into medicine right now, but what if I change my mind when applying to universities? I know that chemistry is compulsory for medicine, but would biology strengthen the application form of a medicine student? Would a person who took chemistry and biology have a better chance of getting a place at a university than me if I changed my mind and decided to take medicine?
    Thanks
    Taking Biology is the difference between being barred from entry to a number of univerisities for Medicine, so taking it would be highly recommended if you ever think you may consider Medicine. Anyway, these are ASs you're choosing, so doing five is manageable. In your situation it may be a good idea to take Double Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology and then drop down to four in the second year, or drop down to four earlier if you ever find ASs too difficult. Of course, you always have the option of continuing all five, which is always nice if you ever think you have the ability and/or determination to deal with five subjects at A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    what have you heard?

Biology is harder than Chemistry and Maths
    Ok I admit I'm not in the position to defy Biology since I haven't taken it.

However, I think that's subjective; I'd personally find biology harder than Chemistry and Maths but that's because I'm quite adept when it comes to Maths and Chemistry? meh...

ReputationRep:
    Do further maths, biology is a womens subject,
    also if you want to go down a "Maths" route at uni, top universities require atleast AS level further maths, some require the who a level (oxford or cambridge do i think)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.