Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"I dont think I can afford it" Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    What excuse would you make up? :holmes:

Anyway, if you want to eat at places such as The Ivy and Nobu, PM me.
    Haha what do u look like then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovethekooks)
    Haha what do u look like then?
    Sorry but you have to join the queue behind greeneyedgirl and Anonymous. :yes:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a date.
    Just name the date and time and I'm so there :perv:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but you have to join the queue behind greeneyedgirl and Anonymous. :yes:
    haha i was asking what u looked like, i didnt say i wanted to go out yet lol

ReputationRep:
    I'll take u to burger king

He's probably taken a look at your friends on facebook and thought **** that.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous)
      Guys

There's this guy whom I have dated a few times. The other day I kinda wanted to show him to my friends so I invited him to have dinner with us in a restaurant. At first he said he would let me know later. The next day I asked him when we were talking online, he said "I dont think I can afford it".

Lol to me, personally, if I couldnt afford a meal when invited, I would make up some other excuses. I would never say I cant afford it. I dont know if this is just me. What do you think? Do you think it makes the other person appear cheap? or it's normal to say smth like that? I dont wanna sound shallow but I was quite disappointed when he said so.

And also do u think he was just lying coz he didnt want to see me again? He doesnt go to uni and has a job. It's hard to believe that he actually cant afford it.
      You don't date guys who don't have much money. You're a gold digger aren't you?

ReputationRep:
      What? OP, you actually had to make a thread up for this? You're an idiot. He said he couldn't afford it, therefore HE COULDN'T AFFORD IT :lolwut: What is so wrong for that? You should have offered to pay for him, unless of course you couldn't afford that :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      haha what did u mean by that?
      I advise him to be upfront about not being able to afford expensive evenings out at uni. Not everyone is a millionaire and I don't want him to get into unmanageable debt just to keep up with the crowd. Also ( and I come from a wealthy family) I was brought up to realise that those who only valued expensive things and couldn't do without them are bit superficial and likely to be disloyal. There are few things more romantic than a free walk under the stars by water.

ReputationRep:
      If i couldn't afford it I would say I can't afford it. My poorness does not embarrass me, I'm a student and it's the end of term. Kind of normal.

(Original post by Alpha_Male)
      You don't date guys who don't have much money. You're a gold digger aren't you?
      Oh shush, my ex used to have no money and i paid for almost everything when we were together. My friends said it was uncool and mean of him to let me pay for those things. He also suggested eating out and I had to pay lol. Yea I was being such a doormat and he was shameless.
      So now, like.. whoever I'm dating, I gotta be careful lol. Its not like I expect the guy to pay for me, I think half and half is the best option. What he said (that he couldnt afford it) turned me off a lil bit at that time but I thought about it again and its really not his fault if he didnt have much money. At least he didnt choose to go then expect me to pay for it. (I mean itd be nice for someone to offer to pay rather than when someone expects the other person to pay).

The reason why I needed to get it off my chest was that I was afraid he was lying coz hes got a job. He might not wanna see my friends...

ReputationRep:
      why isn't OP in the kitchen? that is my question :eek:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Glowy Amoeba)
      Be happy he was honest with you. Usually people complain their partners are hiding stuff from them
      This.

ReputationRep:
      Generally if I cant afford it, I tell people. There is nothing wrong with being honest..maybe you could have suggested going to yours or a mates and just all chilling together...he probably felt bad that he couldnt afford it

Guys

There's this guy whom I have dated a few times. The other day I kinda wanted to show him to my friends so I invited him to have dinner with us in a restaurant. At first he said he would let me know later. The next day I asked him when we were talking online, he said "I dont think I can afford it".

Lol to me, personally, if I couldnt afford a meal when invited, I would make up some other excuses. I would never say I cant afford it. I dont know if this is just me. What do you think? Do you think it makes the other person appear cheap? or it's normal to say smth like that? I dont wanna sound shallow but I was quite disappointed when he said so.

And also do u think he was just lying coz he didnt want to see me again? He doesnt go to uni and has a job. It's hard to believe that he actually cant afford it.
        If he's being honest, then good on him. Why lie about money? If he's earning and doesn't have the money, he might have something to pay for - maybe he's saving up for Christmas?

ReputationRep:
        I can never afford to do anything and tell people so, that way there's no questions asked, just because he told you the truth you're annoyed about it? At least he had the decency to tell you that, maybe where you come from people shouldn't be so materialistic about their money and how much they have.

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.