Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Daily Mail poll- Do you still support the students after these riots? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    I support the right to protest but peacefully. So my answer is No.
    So you no longer support the students because of the actions of a few dozen individuals?

Wow, the Daily Mail don't support student riots or the EU? Next you'll be saying Richard Dawkins doesn't approve of faith schools...

For people who despise the Daily Mail, you lot sure don't hesitate to constantly link to their site to comment on their articles, reciting the 'Daily Fail' mantra like a broken record. Stop going on the site when you clearly know the articles and the commenters there aren't going to have the same opinion as yours.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by HJV)
      So you no longer support the students because of the actions of a few dozen individuals?

tbh I was neutral on the issue before the first protest.
      • PS Helper
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      57% support now
      43% don't support

MUAHAHAHAH TSR VOTING POWER!

ReputationRep:
      I can't believe people have started describing them as 'riots'. They have been no where near close to riots.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
      57% support now
      43% don't support

MUAHAHAHAH TSR VOTING POWER!
      Congratulations, you've influenced a poll on the website of a newspaper that nobody here reads. What have you proven exactly? That many students get their knickers in a twist because a group of people don't share the same views as them? Please, and I thought students were the champions of free speech and democracy, but they can't seem to handle a bit of disagreement with their cause.

It's like me, an atheist, going on a Christian website and being shocked when they have a poll where the results are heavily against abortion. What would be the point in me rallying some atheist buddies to go and change the poll results? It's just ever so slightly pathetic.

ReputationRep:
      So then, what's the betting that tomorrow the front page will be "Students hijack opinion poll"?

@ Meenu I respect your opinion, but there have been, as people have said, peaceful protests. However I respect that you have the choice to not support.

@Tnetinbum How will people get a rounded view of things if they do not read papers which contradict their own opinions? I personally when I find a news story that interests me, go to google news, search for it, and read the first page of alternate stories available, to see how different people tell the same story.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MizzlaMiz)
      So then, what's the betting that tomorrow the front page will be "Students hijack opinion poll"?

@ Meenu I respect your opinion, but there have been, as people have said, peaceful protests. However I respect that you have the choice to not support.

@Tnetinbum How will people get a rounded view of things if they do not read papers which contradict their own opinions? I personally when I find a news story that interests me, go to google news, search for it, and read the first page of alternate stories available, to see how different people tell the same story.
      You honestly think people here go on the Daily Mail website to get a 'rounded opinion'? Don't make me laugh. About 90% of posters here go on there to immediately disregard and laugh off any word on the website as lies and/or trash, placing their own opinion as the divine correct one. For the number of people who hate the Daily Mail, they sure do love to visit the website and post links to its articles a lot when they know they aren't going to agree with anything it says. What's the point? Granted, a good chunk of it on the Mail is heavily disagreeable, but a 'rounded opinion'? Come on. In fact students here do that with just about every paper which supports the Conservatives.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mujeriego)
      But according to the Daily Mail, candlelit dinners give you cancer. Is this Middle England's paper of CHOICE?
      I think you pulled a little DM yourself there.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Wolfos)
      Congratulations, you've influenced a poll on the website of a newspaper that nobody here reads. What have you proven exactly? That many students get their knickers in a twist because a group of people don't share the same views as them? Please, and I thought students were the champions of free speech and democracy, but they can't seem to handle a bit of disagreement with their cause.

It's like me, an atheist, going on a Christian website and being shocked when they have a poll where the results are heavily against abortion. What would be the point in me rallying some atheist buddies to go and change the poll results? It's just ever so slightly pathetic.
      This...

Just what's the point? Getting a bunch of students to vote on the poll hasn't changed the opinion of the people who do actually read the Daily Mail, and the poll doesn't influence anything.

If anything it just looks like the OP can't handle people with a different opinion to their own.

ReputationRep:
      You honestly think people here go on the Daily Mail website to get a 'rounded opinion'? Don't make me laugh. About 90% of posters here go on there to immediately disregard and laugh off any word on the website as lies and/or trash, placing their own opinion as the divine correct one. For the number of people who hate the Daily Mail, they sure do love to visit the website and post links to its articles a lot when they know they aren't going to agree with anything it says. What's the point? Granted, a good chunk of it on the Mail is heavily disagreeable, but a 'rounded opinion'? Come on. In fact students here do that with just about every paper which supports the Conservatives.
      The rounded opinion is formed by reading the same article from many papers. If the Daily Mail happens to be one of them, so be it.

ReputationRep:
      I support students if they choose to exercise democracy. But I don't support greasy mop-heads who stand there smoking, attacking police officers and making trouble because it's a good excuse to smash sh*t up.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jonty99)
      This...

Just what's the point? Getting a bunch of students to vote on the poll hasn't changed the opinion of the people who do actually read the Daily Mail, and the poll doesn't influence anything.

If anything it just looks like the OP can't handle people with a different opinion to their own.
      OP is one of the most accepting people OP knows and encourages people to be the same. Showing that their are people with a different opinion on the poll shows the people who read the paper that their views aren't always right/the only ones. I just don't want to see the paper reporting tomorrow that "67% of people have taken their support away from students due to the riots" Because of a poll on the internet, which, as someone has pointed out, is somewhere where a lot of the people wouldn't have supported students in the first place.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by DJkG.1)
      Lol. 61% think the Euro will collapse. :rolleyes:

Daily Fail.
      The readers are idiots yes, as are the general public on the whole, but this isn't a comparable poll. The Euro one is based on fact (although presumably most of them just hate Europe and want it to fail) whereas this is purely opinion - so does carry weight.
      • PS Helper
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:

Actually it's because papers will report these stats (and not necessarily just the Daily Fail) and therefore we need to make the student voice known too.

Freedom of speech means we are allowed to speak our minds on a poll too...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by DJkG.1)
      Lol. 61% think the Euro will collapse. :rolleyes:

Daily Fail.
      Actually quite a good chance of this if you follow economics and finance.

Feeling is Portugal will be next in line for a run and then there's an increasing chance Spain and Italy will be picked off because of their comedy unemployment and national debt respectively. How do you expect the euro to look then?

Basically Germany is propping the whole thing up and the weaker southern european and irish economies are dragging it slowly into the abyss.

ReputationRep:
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/polls/index.html

I thought this was the best place to post this to get people voting on it.

At time of posting, the results are:
      Yes- 33%
      No- 67%
      Have you noticed how the yes went up since the link was posted here?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Xx.MissEG.xX)
      Have you noticed how the yes went up since the link was posted here?
      Indeed I have. It's a shame the poll doesn't tell you how many people have voted. Imagine if everyone ganged together to do something (peacefully) over the internet.... ohwait, Anon's already broken Paypal, Mastercard and... was it Visa?, a few times this week. It's surprising.

ReputationRep:
      Indeed I have. It's a shame the poll doesn't tell you how many people have voted. Imagine if everyone ganged together to do something (peacefully) over the internet.... ohwait, Anon's already broken Paypal, Mastercard and... was it Visa?, a few times this week. It's surprising.
      Yeah, it should. Amazing what you can do over the internet.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Gontak)
      I can't believe people have started describing them as 'riots'. They have been no where near close to riots.
      Riot - "a public act of violence by an unruly mob"

It was a riot

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.