Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

JSA rant, very angry. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EarlHickey)
    Well in 2002 I wanted to do a part time uni course for 6 hours a week and they stopped my money claiming that adding study time into the equation I would be unavailable for work for 35 hours a week(wtf!) so I was not part time and would be getting a full time loan etc!

I am currently part time at uni now only 6 hours a week and Jobcentre kept saing it was only allowed because I was doing under 12 hours even thought I didnt get any cash.

Housing benefit can top up money a huge amount but even then they take as much as half or more off if you share accomodation, even if its a 2 bedroom house because its "shared facilities"

The system is hugely broken, some people take huge advantage of it, these are the ones who you hear about having plasma tvs and able to afford luxuries, whereas a big majority of them struggle to make ends meet.

Which was one of the things that hugely annoyed me about the election and now, people talking about if people can afford luxuries on benefits or be better off on benefits than working then the solution is to decrease benefits, when its more that you are badly off on benefits and badly off working
    Oh I see. Well hmm, if she received housing benefit, surely she couldn't use it for buying things such as Plasma TV as you have to prove how much your rent is to the council, and theres no guarantee they pay 100% of it.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately this is a situation Im petrified of finding myself in - My partner too earns too much for me to be entitled to anything, but its certainly no where near enough to pay for both of us - He doesn't qualify for working tax credits either as he's not old enough...Im all for making work pay but jesus you actually need enough to live off. If I don't find a job essentially we lose our house and we split - move back into our parents and sell everything we've bought for our house....Its a stupid situation to be in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huskaris)
    If you need a job, you will get a job. I needed a job, so I got one. Simple. It depends on how much of a "I won't work doing that/for that amount of money" attitude that you have...
    Its not that simple. He has a degree, the can't get a min wage job cos he is over qualified and he can't get a good job cos he is inexperienced. There maybe **** loads of jobs wherever you live but there aren't over the rest of the country.

ReputationRep:
    You say you'd both be better off if you jacked in your job, common sense dictates you do just that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Larrabee)
    Its unfortunate that you're just above the cut off line, but there has to be a line somewhere. Do you think it would be acceptable for someone to claim benefits if they had a partner earning 20K p/a? 50K? 100K? Or do you think the threshold should be just high enough that you get to claim?

If you decide you want to live together and be a unit then you need to work together to get through the tough times too, you'll have to try really hard to make your wage stretch, can you so more hours at work? Can you put in a good word for your partner with your employer next time they're hiring?

I take it your partner hasn't worked much before, if his NI contributions were up to date he'd be able to get contributions based JSA for 6 months. Make sure he goes to sign on even though he won't be getting any money so that his NI gets paid for him.
    He has been a self emloyed security guard from the past 5 years so he has worked very hard and is up to date but apparently its different when you are self employed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TravelGuru)
    Also - Not sure you are correct on your second comment, if you lived primarily off JSA you would get £411 a month. Now you are saying that you earn £596 a month, what other benefits would you be claiming?
    My boyfriend calculated it all up and i'm just going on what he said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    Its not that simple. He has a degree, the can't get a min wage job cos he is over qualified and he can't get a good job cos he is inexperienced. There maybe **** loads of jobs wherever you live but there aren't over the rest of the country.
    That happened to me. Everywhere knew i'd just jack in the job as soon as something came along, and there was an excessive amount of unqualified people who would have loyalty so I was looked over. To top it off there was also graduates from 10-20 years ago with tons of experience sucking up all the normal graduate jobs. I just started a new course for the sake of it, and luckily my business took off while that was going on so I jacked it in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    That happened to me. Everywhere knew i'd just jack in the job as soon as something came along, and there was an excessive amount of unqualified people who would have loyalty so I was looked over. To top it off there was also graduates from 10-20 years ago with tons of experience sucking up all the normal graduate jobs. I just started a new course for the sake of it, and luckily my business took off while that was going on so I jacked it in.
    This is exactly what i'm talking about. I probably wouldn't have my job if i hadn't spent every uni holiday working to earn a **** load of experience in retail.

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly what i'm talking about. I probably wouldn't have my job if i hadn't spent every uni holiday working to earn a **** load of experience in retail.
    Yeah I had a lot of experience working in the NHS for a local job agency, but at the end of the summer before I graduated when I had enough money I told them to shove their job up their arse. Then came the financial crisis LOL. Are you both based in Bridgend?

ReputationRep:
    your bf can still sign on and get national insurance credited for his state pension!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise that having a degree disqualified you from minimum wage jobs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    I didn't realise that having a degree disqualified you from minimum wage jobs!
    You arent getting their point, what they are saying and I have had the same thing from past experience is that employers overlook you for jobs because you are overqualified, I remember getting called into an interview for Morrisons cafe a few years ago then the interview was just the employer saying they were shocked I was applying for a job there as its out of my field of experience, me being qualified in media at all.

What many employers may think is that being too qualified gives you a risk of not lasting at job as you will move whena better one comes along etc.

ReputationRep:
    Over qualified is an excuse that says we dont want you. No job will turn you down because you ahve a first from Oxford, although, from your boyfriends lack of job, I doubt he has the work ethic to have a first from Oxford. The point is, I have a degree, and I might be seen as "overqualified" but anyone can get a job, if they look hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    This is bloody ridiclous, my boyfrind can't claim JSA because i earn too much. Seriously i earn £29 over the maximum (which is £120 per week) for him to claim JSA and how can the government expect a couple to survive on one persons part-time wages. If i got sacked we would get more in benefits than twice what i earn now. It's crazy!
    My partner was 10p per week over when I tried to claim but he couldn't afford our living expenses by half. They don't even take them in to consideration!

ReputationRep:
    Over qualified is an excuse that says we dont want you. No job will turn you down because you ahve a first from Oxford, although, from your boyfriends lack of job, I doubt he has the work ethic to have a first from Oxford. The point is, I have a degree, and I might be seen as "overqualified" but anyone can get a job, if they look hard enough.
    If there was any doubt from first post you were a troll, its gone now.

I doubt you have a degree if you have intelligence that low!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Oh **** off, maybe the benefits system is unfair but don't cry because you don't get given free money when you aren't even earning enough to pay taxes anyway you scrounger.

ReputationRep:
    Quite.

ReputationRep:
    OP should stop working and get on the dole like the rest of us, then her bf will be able to claim JSA aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EarlHickey)
    If there was any doubt from first post you were a troll, its gone now.

I doubt you have a degree if you have intelligence that low!
    Haha I love how if you are against people who just want to sit on their arse all day and make excuses for it, you are a troll. Brilliant. I'm guessing you have a "bad back" which is why you don't have a job?

Please.

People will blame anything they can, immigration, illness (but don't get me wrong, for some people, this is a genuine case) problems of getting there etc.

Do. Some. Work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.