Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Banning student protests Watch

ReputationRep:
    Even if he does this then Cameron & Clegg better make sure the rest of their 4 year reign they make the most of because at the next vote they are out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brandon4321)
    I also hope this happens. It would be the straw that breaks Mr Cameron's back. It would inflame the current protests to a whole new level and in doing so, provide the impetus for the NUS to unite with the National Trade Unions and awaken a revolution against the corrupt upper class cronies.

Increasing tuition fees to £9k per year is an assault on the human rights of the working class; snatching away the ladder of social mobility to preserve the riches of the current elite.

And I've already got my degree, so I would like to see them ban me from protesting.
    Lol, the right to protest is fundamental to our democracy, however, the right to commit random acts of violence etc are not. People who riot, are violent or damage property should be dealt with in same way as other people suspected of committing a crime that has nothing to do with demonstrations, meaning demonstrators are not above the law. Police who behave in an illegal manner should also be held to account in a criminal court.

Striving for class warfare and wanting revolution is really old.

What about the human rights of the police officers, xmas shoppers, tourists, random Londoners, and the future King and his wife. The only rights people like you are interested in are your own, if you really care about human rights how come you are not demonstratng against China, Iran, North Korea, Sudan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Great_One)
    A head of scotland yard has told the government that the students have abused the right to protest and they should now be banned from protesting. I hope this happens and i hope anyone caught protesting loses there uni place and doesnt get their degree.

I hope you learn to use correct grammar, before you next post more of your inane chatter...

ReputationRep:
    What a great day for democracy and the so called 'freedom of speech/expression':rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes the ultimate sign of defeat pointing out spelling errors. It probably won't happen though but in my opinion they will introduce legislation to reduce the number of protests. I mean the students have had 3 protests this month and all 3 have been violent so they deserve to be banned really because that can't continue. Someone is going to get shot sooner or later the police will open fire. It was some guy on sky news who used to be high up in the police force basically saying how students are the minority and theres bigger things to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    It would be political suicide, as well of course, as making very transparent the official line that the violence is caused by an 'unrelated minority'. Doubtless they don't believe/don't want to believe that for a moment, but they're already pushing their luck as it is. Banning protests would fail both in terms of it being incredibly authoritarian, and would probably just make protests even more common and more violent.

ReputationRep:
    Of course not. Banning protest is the first step on a slippery slope to places we don't want to be going.

ReputationRep:
    No. The right to protest is a fundamental right of a democratic society. We must not allow this right to be taken from us, just because of the actions of a minority of idiotic, trouble makers.

Those who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

ReputationRep:
    I vote for a protest against banning protests

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Great_One)
    A head of scotland yard has told the government that the students have abused the right to protest and they should now be banned from protesting. I hope this happens and i hope anyone caught protesting loses there uni place and doesnt get their degree.

What... are you actually being serious? i mean.. denying someone who protests to gain what they are entitled to?

I am actually speechless.....i have never heard such a completely moronic or dangerous opinion in a long time. I hope for the sake of humanity you are a troll.. that is such an inexcusable assault of so many freedoms it scares me to think you are being serious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)
    No. The right to protest is a fundamental right of a democratic society. We must not allow this right to be taken from us, just because of the actions of a minority of idiotic, trouble makers.

Those who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    "Those who are incompetent enough to need leaders are not competent enough to judge them" spring to mind reading your post.

ReputationRep:
    Not a good move. As soon as you remove people's freedoms (however real those freedoms may be) you lose complete control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EggmanD)
    "Those who are incompetent enough to need leaders are not competent enough to judge them" spring to mind reading your post.
    that doesn't really make any sense nor is it in any case true. not in politics, organisations, corporations, military, social groups, not in anything. people need leaders but that doesn't necessarily make them incompetent, nor does it may leaders especially competent - such as in the case of Bush, Brown and Cameron.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe some of you want protests banned :facepalm2:
    What next? Take away their right to vote?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skyhigh!)
    I can't believe some of you want protests banned :facepalm2:
    What next? Take away their right to vote?
    If they get put in prison for protesting then that happens, until the EU sticks its nose in.

Seriously, the one policy I liked the tories for was their europhobia and what's the one very slight concession the LibDems seem to have gained? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    that doesn't really make any sense nor is it in any case true. not in politics, organisations, corporations, military, social groups, not in anything. people need leaders but that doesn't necessarily make them incompetent, nor does it may leaders especially competent - such as in the case of Bush, Brown and Cameron.
    It makes perfect sense... it means those who are incapable of thinking for themselves are not capable enough to criticise those who think for them in a logical sense.

In other words, people who are either submissive or one dimensional thinkers cannot judge those whom they appoint that make bad decisions in their eyes as they were chosen by them to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huskaris)
    No it's not what they are fighting for in Afghanistan, it's what our soldiers fought for in World War 1 and 2.
    1? Did they?

ReputationRep:
    How can you ban a protest? Doesn't that kind of defeat the point?

I never understand why protests are planned. Surely it would have so much more impact if people went bombarding X if things like politicians and police weren't prepared for it.

ReputationRep:
    god people in this country hate people who that stand up to their government for what they believe in

fine lets ban all protests, lets go back 100 years, most off you don't have a clue which is sad

nice to see TSR supporting a Nazi state again

ReputationRep:
    Wow...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.