Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Strippers Watch

• View Poll Results: Is the profession of female stripping degrading to women, or empowering to women?
    Degrading
    70.67%
    Empowering
    29.33%

ReputationRep:
    Thats cuz ur a whore, sell ur body for money..

I'm a straight guy and I think strip clubs are sleazy, horrible places and I refuse to go in. Rate me down all you like, but it's an opinion shared by a couple of my good male friends as well.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SomaliMan)
      You would have no problem with your sister/daughter doing that? I swear the west disgusts me, I need to get out.

You're the type that lets his daughter be shagged upstairs while you're watching Jeremy Kyle. Tfoe 3alayk
      Yes, because letting your sister having a life of her own is worse than having murderous pirates off the coast of your country, taking people hostage for money.

:rolleyes:

I would NOT be happy with my sister/daughter/etc becoming a stripper. Then again, I also have to consider that if she makes the decision, who am I to stop her? Western culture prides itself on its individualism. We are free to make our own decisions. I'm sure nobody wants their daughter or sister stripping, but we are not masters of other people's lives.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ch0llima)
      I'm a straight guy and I think strip clubs are sleazy, horrible places and I refuse to go in. Rate me down all you like, but it's an opinion shared by a couple of my good male friends as well.
      I've never been, though I have a friend away at university who regularly attends one. He said he'll take me some time, but I don't know if I'd want to go. Obviously, get a few pints down me and I'll be well up for it, but in the sober light of day, I'd feel sorry for the girls more than anything. I'd question whether they really wanted to do this job or whether they hated it with a passion but were doing all they can to support themselves.

Maybe I should stop thinking so much into it and just get some boobs in my face.

ReputationRep:
      Sex sells.

ReputationRep:
      At the end of the day it's their own choice whether to take the ''job'' or not. However I regard prostiution as more degrading than stripping which is still pretty low.

ReputationRep:
      And lol @ the somali pirate abuse SomaliMan gets. Thats 4 different threads Ive seen now with people calling him that :rofl:

ReputationRep:
      Thats cuz ur a whore, sell ur body for money..
      Not sure who this is directed at, but there's a huge difference between a prostitute and a stripper.
      I don't have a particularly big issue with prostitutes either, I think it should be legalised and tightly regulated, to make it a lot safer for them than it is now. The only reason it's illegal after all is due to a set of morals which we as a society have derived from a wide variety of ancient books about people with imaginary friends.

Also, I've had a look online and one-way flights to mogadishu can be found for about £300. So if you really hate the west that much I'm sure you can get that together.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ilickbatteries)
      I've never been, though I have a friend away at university who regularly attends one. He said he'll take me some time, but I don't know if I'd want to go. Obviously, get a few pints down me and I'll be well up for it, but in the sober light of day, I'd feel sorry for the girls more than anything. I'd question whether they really wanted to do this job or whether they hated it with a passion but were doing all they can to support themselves.

Maybe I should stop thinking so much into it and just get some boobs in my face.
      Why would you feel sorry for someone making over £100 an hour for dancing in their underwear?

ReputationRep:
      Who thinks TShadow383 is a stripper?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ch0llima)
      My experience of strip venues is one of uber-sexy, uber-confident, uber-self-assured women feeling empowered through flaunting their bodies for good money in a well secured environment. Any hassle and you have heavy-handed bouncers to deal with it.

ReputationRep:
      I have a feeling people aren't going to like me saying this, but the last resort option is a crap argument. Surely the people stacking shelves in their late 20s and 30s in the local supermarket are more degrading to themselves than a stripper is. I'm sure there are a lot of strippers that are very intelligent, and see how lucrative a career it is.

I'm not saying there aren't those that aren't as fortunate when it comes to freedom, but all professions are like that.

What's more degrading to individuality than a family who pressures its children into careers they don't want? Doctors? Dentists? Teachers? There will be those who did not choose it, or who are not enjoying it in all careers. Why pick on strippers?

Give me boobs!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tazarooni89)
      I'm just interested to find out what the general consensus on this topic is. Do you consider the profession of female strippers to be degrading to women, or empowering to women?

Do you think it shows that women truly have the choice to do what they want to do and be who they want to be? Or do you think it discredits the actual person inside the body, and presents women as little more than mere pleasure objects in the subordination of men?

I've added a poll. Please explain why you chose whichever option you did.

Edit: Might be interesting to get some female viewpoints on the matter too.
      With all due respect, this question is yet another empty PC debate. Unless a woman performs against her will (and I don't think lack of money counts as against your will) it's just like any other job.
      Empowering? Strippers are not in a position of responsibility. Feminists might argue that the dancers are "in control" and "set their own rules" but to be honest that is pure theoretical rubbish that has no connection to the real world. The only power strippers have is the men's weakness for feminine beauty. There is no social liberation going on at a subconscious level during a pole dance. People need to wake up.
      Degrading? The strippers (assuming they're willing) have all chosen their jobs. They receive a large salary for a few hours of work. They are never in danger, they don't actually do some really difficult dancing, they only interact with patrons if they want a bonus. Some strippers say it's their only hope to fund their education, but that is an obvious lie. A lot of people take normal jobs mopping the floor at McDonalds and manage to get through just fine. I'm pretty sure the majority of strippers love their job, love all the attention, the great pay achieved not through skill but through luck. I'm never heard pretty women complain that getting paid for their looks was degrading.

At the end of the day strippers are turning a natural asset (beauty) into a high salary, just like everybody else on the job market. There's no additional dimension to it just because it is in the sex industry. If someone from my family started stripping, I'd be upset because it's unambitious and unproductive in the long term, but I wouldn't really comment on it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TShadow383)
      Why would you feel sorry for someone making over £100 an hour for dancing in their underwear?
      Seems like quite a strange thing to say, doesn't it!

Of course, if a woman wanted to use her body to make money, that's fine fair enough. The women I feel sorry for are the ones who have to display their half-naked bodies every night because they have no other way of making money. I imagine there are a fair few strippers who feel degraded but can't really get a better job.

I'd just get the impression that most of them really don't want to be there...

ReputationRep:
      Yes, because letting your sister having a life of her own is worse than having murderous pirates off the coast of your country, taking people hostage for money.

:rolleyes:

I would NOT be happy with my sister/daughter/etc becoming a stripper. Then again, I also have to consider that if she makes the decision, who am I to stop her? Western culture prides itself on its individualism. We are free to make our own decisions. I'm sure nobody wants their daughter or sister stripping, but we are not masters of other people's lives.
      Somali Pirates to you coastguards to me, people in Afghanistan/Iraq who resist the west are terrorists , people that resist western/asian corporations from stealing our fish and dumping toxics in our seas = piracy. What do I expect from people that send troops to Iraq/Afghanistan, kill and rape, and then claim they're helping the people and giving them democracy.

(Original post by Charzhino)
      And lol @ the somali pirate abuse SomaliMan gets. Thats 4 different threads Ive seen now with people calling him that :rofl:
      lool, I know they can't refute what I'm saying so they just insult me.

ReputationRep:
      Seems like quite a strange thing to say, doesn't it!

Of course, if a woman wanted to use her body to make money, that's fine fair enough. The women I feel sorry for are the ones who have to display their half-naked bodies every night because they have no other way of making money. I imagine there are a fair few strippers who feel degraded but can't really get a better job.

I'd just get the impression that most of them really don't want to be there...
      They could get jobs at minimum wage without too much difficulty, or be supported by the state (although i'd argue that that is far more immoral).

As I said earlier in the thread, I know a girl who is a stripper part time to fund uni, whilst I can't say that she is a spokeswoman for strippers, she says that she feels a bit self-conscious and uncomfortable sometimes when doing it, enjoys it other times, but she makes enough money doing it that she has no student loan, a brand new car and a very nice flat in a very rich part of town.

So I guess some of them don't really want to be there, but there are a lot of people who don't like their jobs and just do them for the money. They still choose to be there, so they're hardly being exploited.

Somali Pirates to you coastguards to me
      Because the coastguard are famous for stealing merchant vessels at gunpoint.

ReputationRep:
      :rofl:

I can't rep you yet tho

ReputationRep:
      Is it bad that the first thing I thought of was Domino's Chicken Strippers?

Anyway: I'd argue that it's not empowering. I can't imagine the majority of women in the profession choosing to be strippers if there existed a job that paid just as well, had similarly flexible hours etc., but was in a less unsavoury environment. So if it is either of the two, I would say degrading, though I'm not sure there's an argument for that being the case either.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TShadow383)

Because the coastguard are famous for stealing merchant vessels at gunpoint.
      You're still the last person to talk about stealing, you people invade countries killing people to rob them, atleast the pirates haven't killed anyone.

ReputationRep:
      I personally don't think it you can really classify it as one or the other. Each stripper is different. Sometimes it's degrading, sometimes it's empowering, and a lot of the time it's neither. It's just a job. I know many girls who have been interested in doing it, but have been too self-conscious and they weren't down on their luck or desperate for cash.

(Original post by tazarooni89)
      Out of interest - if your daughter or sister expressed plans on taking up a profession as a stripper, would you still consider it as just a job like any other? Would you consider the situation exactly the same as though they had expressed a desire to become anything else? Or would you on some level have an aversion to the idea?
      I wouldn't actually care if they chose to do it. I would ask for the name of the place, though, so I could avoid going to it, but otherwise, it's their life. As long as they're not being pressured into it, I see no problem.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2011
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.