Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Julian Assange to be charged with espionage Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seanisonfire)
    He is being punished by the US. And what caveats are these? Freedom of speech until they disagree? Why even bother writing it down then? And he should be arrested because it wasn't in the public interest? Who are the public interest police?
    Careful that is a bit of a toys out of the pram approach. There are caveats and overrides to every law. Think Murder/Self Defence, Crime/Defence of Necessity (before any undergrad lawyers jump down my throat on that check out the Baby B case it does exist under very exceptional circumstances). US would very much struggle to put him on any trial, however, that would not stop them doing it. I am not saying this is correct in this case, but Freedom of Speech vs National Security, huge caveat.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    Why does it not surprise me that you read The Daily Fail.

Here, I'm sure you'll enjoy this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI
    Read the post you idiot. Heard it on a sky news bulletin and the Daily Mail and metro were the only ones that came up with a google search

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Srxjer)
    Ridiculous.
    I don't really see how it's ridiculous at all, even if you don't agree with the law, he has definitely broken it.

the Espionage Act forbids the gathering of national defence information if it is known to have been obtained illegally and could be used to the detriment of the US. Furthermore, the Act makes it illegal to fail to return such information to the US government.

ReputationRep:
    Where have all the leaks on other countries gone from Wikileaks?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisnew)
    Where have all the leaks on other countries gone from Wikileaks?
    Been taken off. All their resources are now going to the US files

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    Any other sources? I don't trust the daily mail.
    http://goo.gl/J7Iku

there you go....... :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    Pretty bad a** thing to be charged with though!
    'What are you in for?'
    'Er...petty crime. You?'
    'Espionage :cool:'

But in all seriousness, the US are just digging for things they can charge him with. As far as I'm aware, he hasn't realeased any particularly damaging information yet and although he probably shouldn't have released the documents, I don't think he should go to prison.
    The Daily Mail might be doing their overexaggrated sensationalism thing though, I can't fully trust their reporting.
    He outed undercover NATO intelligence sources living in Afghanistan a while ago, endangering peoples lives - before the current row about diplomatic letters.

He's an irresponsible idiot IMO.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.