Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tripled fees: so how many of you are going to go and study abroad instead? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    I honestly wonder why people do not consider Irish universities? :dontknow:

What is wrong with them? (No language barrier at all, close by etc etc).
    Tbh I don't know much about Irish universities bar Trinity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    To my knowledge Cambridge is top of just one international table. Harvard is top of virtually every other table. I think by the law of averages, Havard would be considered by most to be the best university in the world. In any case I don't understand why you feel the need to be so aggressively defensive. I am just a rational young person considering the best option available to me to give myself the best possible chance of being happy in the future. I'm not attacking your country, your universities or anything at all. So why the hostility?
    I'm not. I may study abroad. I'm just stating that UK and US unis, the ones for which you have to pay a substantial amount, are the best. what do you intend to study?

ReputationRep:
    Irish unis are hard to get into, and only a few are worth the extra A-level one must score an A in to stand a chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    I'm not. I may study abroad. I'm just stating that UK and US unis, the ones for which you have to pay a substantial amount, are the best. what do you intend to study?
    I am hoping to study Biochemistry.

ReputationRep:
    The Netherlands offer highly respected degrees with fees varying from £2000-£4000 per year.
    Studying abroad is a great way to study. I am currently in year 13 and despite me being able to pay lower fees than in 2012, I am still considering studying at Maastricht University in Holland. Fees there are 1700 Euros a year and it is a well credited university. All programs are taught in English and they have a small English population there. It's a very young, student town. You should seriously consider studying abroad because I think it will stand out on a CV after you have finished your degree. If you want any information about Maastricht (I have been there twice now to visit) then don't hesitate in messaging me.

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping to study Biochemistry.
    well definitely the best ones are going to be American or British. IDK you may want to learn another language between now and application

ReputationRep:
    I've been surprised by this arrogance. Are there really no British students who would even consider studying abroad? Why is everyone so negative about it?
    Many European Universities offer courses and whole programs in English. They cost less and some countries don't even have tuition fees. And you know, it's actually possible to learn a foreign language so well that you can study in it, it doesn't even take years.
    What it comes to quality of foreign universities – it's not like every British student would attend a top 10 university anyway. It's true that some of the British universities are among the best in the world, but not all. There are good universities in other countries too, not only in the US either.

ReputationRep:
    In actual fact, in any international university rankings table you care to mention, US universities utterly dominate the top 20.

Should I go of course, I will so miss that unjustifiable British arrogance.
    Look how much US unis cost though
    is amazing

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of going to malta uni, has anyone had any experience of it? classes, teachers, people accomodation? i thought it would be a a win, win seeing as I've always wanted to live abroad too. Or has anyone gone to a foreign uni, if so any comments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Switzerland has low fees (500 CHF per semester, I'm guessing that may be 300 GBP or so?). In Germany some states have low fees (500 EUR/semester), and some have no fees. In Germany there are also "dual" study programmes at a few institutions, where you work while you study and earn a salary at the same time. For example sponsored by Deutsche Bank you can study for a (company-linked) BA at the Hochschule für Wirtschaft und Recht (School of Economics and Law) in Berlin, pay NO tuition fees AND get a salary of between 10 000 - 14 000 EUR per year depending on what you study.
    Those are really stressful though. I heard someone do it and they said being a student and working is extremely tough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    This post is a prime example of the extent to which people are overreacting about this..
    To be honest, one of the only positive outcomes of this tuition fee increase is that it may actually make more British people venture off their little island, and learn a little more about the world around it.

Yes, I plan on doing my graduate studies abroad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flyer2010)
    Studying abroad is a great way to study. I am currently in year 13 and despite me being able to pay lower fees than in 2012, I am still considering studying at Maastricht University in Holland. Fees there are 1700 Euros a year and it is a well credited university. All programs are taught in English and they have a small English population there. It's a very young, student town. You should seriously consider studying abroad because I think it will stand out on a CV after you have finished your degree. If you want any information about Maastricht (I have been there twice now to visit) then don't hesitate in messaging me.
    I like the idea of studying in Maastricht (has a really good course for me). However, the main problem seems to be finding the funding/loan for living costs. I know I can get a loan for tuition fees, but if I have to get a bank-loan with loads of interest for living fees, it's going to be very expensive. Do you know what to do about financing the cost of living there?

Irish unis are hard to get into, and only a few are worth the extra A-level one must score an A in to stand a chance
    Harder than Oxbridge? Really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Harder than Oxbridge? Really?
    Well they don't do A-levels, and their equivalent is said to be 4 A-levels, hence, 4 As are needed.

Well they don't do A-levels, and their equivalent is said to be 4 A-levels, hence, 4 As are needed.
    Well many students get 4As, so it isn't that much harder than the British A*AA/AAA universities (really).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegenius31416)
    I like the idea of studying in Maastricht (has a really good course for me). However, the main problem seems to be finding the funding/loan for living costs. I know I can get a loan for tuition fees, but if I have to get a bank-loan with loads of interest for living fees, it's going to be very expensive. Do you know what to do about financing the cost of living there?
    Well the only finance thing I know about is that of the government grant of 200 Euros a month if you work 32 hours a month - you keep your salary money and get the grant. That's the only one I know. What loan for tuition fees are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flyer2010)
    Well the only finance thing I know about is that of the government grant of 200 Euros a month if you work 32 hours a month - you keep your salary money and get the grant. That's the only one I know. What loan for tuition fees are you talking about?
    You're entitled to a loan from the dutch government (or whoever it is) to cover the tuition fees. The problem is... how will I be able to find the money to cover living expenses? Bank Loan = Loads of Interest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegenius31416)
    You're entitled to a loan from the dutch government (or whoever it is) to cover the tuition fees. The problem is... how will I be able to find the money to cover living expenses? Bank Loan = Loads of Interest

As far as I know there arent really anyways to get funding like it is in the UK. As you say getting a normal bank loan will mean loads of interest and thefore not really any point.

ReputationRep:
    Its easier to just study in the UK and then disappear.

Take that very good British education and then run off to another country where a British education is highly respected (most countries) and get a job.

You may even be lucky enough to get a job good enough to give you a luxury life in that country but then due to the exchange rate mean you will still be under the threshold to pay back, as someone else has pointed out with China as an example.

Bulgaria is another perfect example to be honest. You can get a good job on say 32,000 leva per year which is more than enough for a good life whilst you still won't pay back as

32,000.00 BGN = 13,899.48 GBP

32,000/ 12 = 2 666 lev per month - which is very good to live on as a beer only costs about 45p out of the major cities. The cost of living is cheap enough in the cities to be fair.

Average monthly salaries in Bulgaria are in the 150-200 Euro range. On 2666 Bulgarian Lev you'd be on roughly 1,363 Euro - almost 7 times as much based on a 200 Euro Average.

Bulgaria is also massively being invested into and a lot of European money is being pumped into the countries economy. It is a mafia run state but they do not bother normal citizens and only engage in criminal activities with each other to try and control drug exporting/importing businesses. You'll see them in the major cities but they never bother you in the slightest and if there is a problem then they often deal with them better than the police.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-10-...-bulgaria.html

Girls in Bulgaria walk home from work at 3-6am in the morning without a problem whereas over here they would be in fear of getting raped or get shouted at by a bunch of foul mouthed yobs with slurs such as ' coming to mine love for a s**g? '.

The majority of Bulgarian jobs are still agricultural and services are the lowest percentage of the jobs taken. So for graduates who's jobs involve providing a service then its really a good place to go as you will not have a lot of competition, especially compared to in the UK where everyone is offering a service.

Its far better to take the UK education and then move abroad.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.