Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karateworm)
    I'd find that really interesting, so if you have the urge... by all means for for it
    I have quite alot of work I need to go and get done now, but a little later maybe :P

(Original post by Jimbo1234)
    I'm guessing the only reason you know though is because you were taught it?
    No, actually, but thanks for assuming. Yes, I did History at GCSE and at A Level but that was because I find it interesting. I am currently half way through a book on the English civil war, I have books on Troy and Catherine de Medici waiting to be finished at some point when I don't have 1000 other things to read/do for uni. Admittedly, I don't match my cousin's enthusiasm for the subject but, given he has an entire room stacked with military history, I doubt many people could match him on that.

I also like to think I have a decent grasp of geography, although admittedly I never knew where Qatar was until a few weeks ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    Wow, I'm not even going to mention the g-word because its hitting everyone in the face.

What, 'Germany'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clo-clo1)
    I can tell you where Germany is and what happened in WW2, I can't however tell you about x-factor.... does this make me a man?
    I know where Germany is, what happened in WW2 AND give you a detailed analysis of X Factor. Does that make me a genius?

ReputationRep:
    I can tell you where Germany is and what happened in WW2, I can't however tell you about x-factor.... does this make me a man?
    yes. always.

are you my Chloe?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes it does

(Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    I know where Germany is, what happened in WW2 AND give you a detailed analysis of X Factor. Does that make me a genius?
    No, that makes you a male homosex

ReputationRep:
    No, just the minority.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people lack general knowledge.. male and female.. but that doesn't make them bad people..

I'm a girl, and I could you a lot of things, in huge depth, about WW1/WW2/9:11 and many other things! But then I know of some people who I could never hold such a conversation with simply because they wouldn't have a clue!

You shouldn't generalise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    Lots of people lack general knowledge.. male and female.. but that doesn't make them bad people..

I'm a girl, and I could you a lot of things, in huge depth, about WW1/WW2/9:11 and many other things! But then I know of some people who I could never hold such a conversation with simply because they wouldn't have a clue!

You shouldn't generalise.
    Well in my experience it is girls who are normally worse. Stupid guys tend to be bad, but stupid and smart girls are also normally bad.

ReputationRep:
    (a generalisation of course)

After talking to many people over the last few months, it has become very apparent that girls have almost zero general knowledge. They can tell you what is going on in their course or the X factor, but ask them where Germany is or what WW2 was about and they have no idea. I was reminded of this when a girl on TSR who was 20 had no idea what 9/11 was all about, even though it will be one of the most important historical events during her life.
    What excuse do you have for this ignorance when you live in an age of instant communication and access to huge amounts of data all for free? :confused:

Yet for some reason guys tend to be better with general knowledge, from geography, politics, and history, for some reason we know far more, yet if you ask a person why they know this they can not explain why. I put it down to simply being more inquisitive.

Do other people find this to be the same with girls they meet, or guys?
    Do you girls with general knowledge find these girls do not help with fighting stereotypes such as the stupid blonde etc?
    Girls lack general knowledge? This one doesn't. I can usually answer quite a few of the University Challenge questions and Mastermind general knowledge questions, I watch the news every day, read good quality newspapers and check out stories I am interested in online. And yes, I've known where Germany is since I was about 6, doing elementary geography.

ReputationRep:
    No, just the minority.
    On a more serious note, I have no idea what you mean. Possibly because the girls I tend to talk to are my friends at university, who are all fairly good at general knowledge. One of them in particular (she studies Law) has a fantastic grasp of things like astronomy, Greek and Roman culture and some parts of philosophy and can easily hold her own in conversations with people who actually study that. Last year I forgot to bring books to uni and whilst asking if I could borrow one, was offered a range from Oscar Wilde, to Jane Austen to Steig Larsson to Ranulph Fiennes' biography.
    I think the lesson is: Don't generalise

ReputationRep:
    What? I have a bordering on obsessive interest in WWII and military history (I'm one of those people who gets mildy irritated when I see anarchronistic uniform in films - like black SS uniforms in films set in the 40s :rant: )

I know plenty of guys with a woeful knowledge of WWII, and I know plenty of girls who could tell you loads. You shouldn't generalise.

ReputationRep:
    OP, you are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    On a more serious note, I have no idea what you mean. Possibly because the girls I tend to talk to are my friends at university, who are all fairly good at general knowledge. One of them in particular (she studies Law) has a fantastic grasp of things like astronomy, Greek and Roman culture and some parts of philosophy and can easily hold her own in conversations with people who actually study that. Last year I forgot to bring books to uni and whilst asking if I could borrow one, was offered a range from Oscar Wilde, to Jane Austen to Steig Larsson to Ranulph Fiennes' biography.
    I think the lesson is: Don't generalise
    As I have said, my experience has been that the large majority of girls do lack general knowledge, and after asking many guys, they feel the same way as well. Of course though this is only a large majority, so like yourself, not all girls are this way.

ReputationRep:

After talking to many people over the last few months, it has become very apparent that girls have almost zero general knowledge. They can tell you what is going on in their course or the X factor, but ask them where Germany is or what WW2 was about and they have no idea. I was reminded of this when a girl on TSR who was 20 had no idea what 9/11 was all about, even though it will be one of the most important historical events during her life.
    What excuse do you have for this ignorance when you live in an age of instant communication and access to huge amounts of data all for free? :confused:

Yet for some reason guys tend to be better with general knowledge, from geography, politics, and history, for some reason we know far more, yet if you ask a person why they know this they can not explain why. I put it down to simply being more inquisitive.

Do you girls with general knowledge find these girls do not help with fighting stereotypes such as the stupid blonde etc?
    Bro we have a girl that has no idea where South Africa is. We said 'South of Africa', she asked where Africa was...'South of Europe'...Where's Europe?

Some girls just do it for attention or because they really don't care. Honestly.

Oh and another girl that had no idea about WW2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
    Do you really want me to go into detail on early 20th century German history? Or the causes of WWI, as well as WWII? Cuz I will, in great detail, and I can promise you'll be bored.

Massive generalisation is massive.

That wouldn't actually be 'general knowledge', not that I agree with the OP, just that he was making a point about general knowledge, not specified knowledge on 20th century European military history.

ReputationRep:
    As I have said, my experience has been that the large majority of girls do lack general knowledge, and after asking many guys, they feel the same way as well. Of course though this is only a large majority, so like yourself, not all girls are this way.
    But it's not a majority. It's a generalisation made on your limited and unrepresentative sample.

ReputationRep:
    How are we supposed to know anything when we spend all of our time in the kitchen?

ReputationRep:
    And the forums biggest women hater starts yet again. Don't you have anything else to do?

ReputationRep:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but barely anyone has any general knowledge, that includes males and females.

You're just used to having smart or inquisitive friends (like I am), it's quite shocking when you meet an idiot isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    I'd be more impressed if you could create a X Factor based analogy of WW2. :cool:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.