Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deep456)
    It is also key to remember that many of these countries, do not have world class institutions.
    It's also key to mention neither do we.

The coalitions measures dont make just our world competing fees increased, but all of our universities fees increased.

And finland is free and it has many world class instituitions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimsonchilli)
    Scandinavian countries are usually free, but this may change soon as well. I know that many universities in Norway are considering introducing fees for international students for the first time.
    They will probably start charging fees for students from outside the EU, because they noticed that many Chinese kids come, use the free education, and then go back home. However, it is highly unlikely that they will start charging fees for home/EU students.

Instead, you're paid to go to university (enough to cover very basic living costs, ie. uni halls and food).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    They will probably start charging fees for students from outside the EU, because they noticed that many Chinese kids come, use the free education, and then go back home. However, it is highly unlikely that they will start charging fees for home/EU students.

Instead, you're paid to go to university (enough to cover very basic living costs, ie. uni halls and food).
    yup, pretty much. I cant really envisage Norway introducing fees for home students any time soon...

[out of interest, how did you find politics at Brum ? I have an offer there but have never had the chance to look round the place yet. cheers]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excandersham)
    It's also key to mention neither do we.

The coalitions measures dont make just our world competing fees increased, but all of our universities fees increased.

And finland is free and it has many world class instituitions.
    Except the fact that Cambridge is ranked 1st in the world...
    And UCL 4th...
    And Oxford 6th...
    And ICL 7th...
    And KCL 21st...
    And Edinburgh 22nd...
    And Bristol 27th...
    And Manchester 30th...

With Finland's top ranked being 75th...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medic-11)
    Ranked by what criteria?

Like football, does having the most money attract the best lecturers?

Where does Cambridge get it's ca$h?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Ranked by what criteria?

Like football, does having the most money attract the best lecturers?

Where does Cambridge get it's ca$h?
    QS World University Rankings.

Cambridge and Oxford are both very old institutions and are both very wealthy. If they can afford the best lecturers, they offer the best teaching. I don't see where money really comes into it apart from that. It's not their fault they happen to be the two oldest universities in the English language and hence have accumulated a lot of wealth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsltsl)
    Higher education in France is basically free -- a few hundred euros per year in tuition.
    The two most prestigious schools -- ENS and Ecole Polytechnique -- actually pay a high monthly salary to students, but that is an exception.
    Well, I guess im off to France.

ReputationRep:
    And UCL 4th...
    And Oxford 6th...
    And ICL 7th...
    And KCL 21st...
    And Edinburgh 22nd...
    And Bristol 27th...
    And Manchester 30th...

I meant generally. Most of our universities aren't world class yet their fees are still increasing.

That was my point in my first response.

And oxford/cambridge have been top 5 even without the fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wavey93)
    Well, I guess im off to France.
    I'd suggest netherlands or finland if your going for an english speaking course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excandersham)
    Qs rankings are not based on academic content.

And I meant generally. Most of our universities aren't world class yet their fees are still increasing.

That was my point in my first response.
    You can't just rubbish the QS World University Rankings as not being based on academic content when the universities which top the list always have the best results in the world. Don't be silly, by the way, Cambridge, Oxford, London, Edinburgh, etc, are all WORLD-CLASS universities.

ReputationRep:
    You can't just rubbish the QS World University Rankings as not being based on academic content when the universities which top the list always have the best results in the world. Don't be silly, by the way, Cambridge, Oxford, London, Edinburgh, etc, are all WORLD-CLASS universities.
    Those university though where still world class when tuition fees were still only 3290pounds.

And were beating full paying Usa instituitions.

The issue is more complex than simply student fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimsonchilli)
    [out of interest, how did you find politics at Brum ? I have an offer there but have never had the chance to look round the place yet. cheers]
    No complaints. There are a number of very well-known and good professors, teaching is generally good. The obligatory methods and political thought (philosophy) modules are a bit of a pain, but I reckon most universities in England make politics students do those. If you're interested in EU/Europe/security/IR/British politics, there's a lot of good choices in those areas (the British Politics lecturer Pete Kerr is a legend, he's done some stand-up comedy, too).

I wouldn't pay the price of a new BMW for Birmingham though (just to keep this related to the topic).

ReputationRep:
    And UCL 4th...
    And Oxford 6th...
    And ICL 7th...
    And KCL 21st...
    And Edinburgh 22nd...
    And Bristol 27th...
    And Manchester 30th...

Well obviously if you take the UK's best university as a reference point you'll come up with a lot of UK universities near the top of the list.

What you're not taking into account that in your example case, Finland, university name isn't a major factor to people and thus, the skills are spread more equally across all the universities in the country. There is no such concept as a "Mickey Mouse university" over there.

Hence, different universities excel at different things - none of them being great at everything like Cambridge - yet none of them being bad at anything when it comes to normal degree students, and not research.

ReputationRep:
    In Germany it´s free or up to 1000 Euro/year - depends on the province. To pay 500 Euro each semester in advance.

Since the system changed to Bachelor/Master, there are a few programs taught in english.

And in my opinion you could notice the change after the fees were established. The library has way better opening hours, more computers, new printer, mostly free lecture notes/handouts and so on. I really can´t complain.

By the way : I think the debates and arguments were quite the same back in our student loan protest time not so long ago. Even though it´s just 1000 Euro/year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summergirl.x)
    If you're thinking of studying abroad, anywhere in Europe you can expect to pay the exact same amount as the native students. Due to EU law you are treated the same as them.
    France is about €800 per year unless you're at a "Grande Ecole" which are their best uni's, these ones are about €8,000 to €9,000 a year but it depends on your parents income and how many siblings you have.

USA fees for public unis are still like twice what we pay here, but the private ones, are even more. For places like Harvard I think it's like $40,000 a year or something ridiculous like that.
    The best Grande École, the École Normale Supérieure, is free. Students even get paid if they are French (as is the case in the École Polytechnique, the second best of the country).

Most Grandes Écoles are free, except the IEP of Paris and Business Schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    I think Germany is free, but you have to speak German
    They're not in the business of educating students so they can do one after they graduate

America is **** loads
    Wrong.

Germany: many states charge £500 or something like that a semester

USA: public unis don't charge ****loads. and one must take into account that scholarships are much more widespread. my friend did APs and many of his friends went to US and they got scholarships (most of them).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deep456)
    It is also key to remember that many of these countries, do not have world class institutions.
    And yet they receive a better education, because their professors aren't pressurised into keeping up with producing world class research. (i.e. how you are taught)

Also research != curriculum (i.e. what you are taught)

just quoting because you seem to think that unis that are ranked higher teach better. i have spoken to people from german unis that you have never heard of, who have done exchanges at top5 UK unis and they say they have done more (quantity and quality).

thinking that just because a uni is ranked 50 places higher that that automatically means a better education (in terms of quality of what is taught and how its taught) is ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    US universities, even state schools (non-private) are ridiculous as hell in their tuition fees. Because even if you qualify for financial aid, combined with reduced in-state fees PLUS scholarship money, the university in question WILL find some way to squeeze as much money as possible out of you.

This could mean insane room/board costs, refusing to accept AP credit, and lovely lovely application fees of $90.

...I'm feeling a bit bitter, can't you tell? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krov)
    The best Grande École, the École Normale Supérieure, is free. Students even get paid if they are French (as is the case in the École Polytechnique, the second best of the country).

Most Grandes Écoles are free, except the IEP of Paris and Business Schools.
    Ah okay, well SciencePo is the prices I mentioned though. I know that for sure.

ReputationRep:
    I go to a public university, which is pretty cheap, considering.
    Tuition: $9072/year, 5734 pounds
    If you're from another state, tuition is $26622/year, 16,852 pounds
    Room and board: I live in a sorority, and we pay $7500/year, 4740 pounds
    Residence Halls are about $9120/year, 5702 pounds, depending on whether they have air conditioning, etc.

I get an academic scholarship of $8000/year (which isn't very common) and another one from a company for $800/year. My family doesn't get any financial aid because we aren't "poor" enough (most people could really use the help, but have no chance in hell of getting it).

Just for comparison's sake, these are Georgetown's numbers, which are the most expensive I could think of off the top of my head:
    Tuition: $40,203/year, 25,412 pounds
    Room and board: $13,388/year, 8462 pounds

So, to recap, it's way cheaper for me to pay international fees at a British university than to go to most private American universities or out-of-state public universities, even factoring in travel expenses.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.