Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I need physics to do medicine at Manchester? Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    A few random colleges want maths.
    Well, ****. My entire trolling philosophy of "maths for medicine??" has been shattered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Well, ****. My entire trolling philosophy of "maths for medicine??" has been shattered.
    No medical schools want it! Just one Cambridge college.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Haha. That single college makes me feel bad for trolling people who say "do maths for medicine!" Damn it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Which col?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishman129)
    Which col?
    I think it's magdalene.

ReputationRep:
    But looking at OP's A Level choices, he might want to do either Physics or Maths as I think a fair few medical schools require three sciences to AS Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clewsy)
    But looking at OP's A Level choices, he might want to do either Physics or Maths as I think a fair few medical schools require three sciences to AS Level.
    One.

ReputationRep:
    No you dont need to do maths or physics for medicine, and as for manchester they just love the UKCAT. Also i did double award science and that was enough.

Also cambridge doesnt always need three science/math subjects, i know quite a few people who got interviews there and they only did bio and chem and also surprisingly they had v low GCSEs.

Also i dont think maths at a-level helps at all for chemisty, i know people who did further maths etc etc and applying to oxbridge for maths and other things and i still did better than them in chemistry and i only got a B in GCSE maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clewsy)
    A lot of medical schools give more points to people who do more varied A-levels now and not just science and maths, i think UCL is one.

ReputationRep:
    Here is this advice as well.

Don't pick your A Levels based on what/where you want to do/go after them. Study what you want to. If you do not meet the requirements of the course, then it is probably the wrong course for you.

You seem very young to be thinking about universities (I didn't even decide on medicine until earlier this year, let alone which institution) and a lot can change in between now and applying. Don't make your A Level choices based on where you think you want to study medicine, base them on which subjects you want to study to a further level.

ReputationRep:
    **** MATHS NOBODY CARES ABOUT IT!

But i'm doing it.

ReputationRep:
    LOL @ how this thread was about whether OP needs physics for Manchester and then suddenly changed to whether you need Maths for medicine or not.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help people. I do enjoy Biology and Chemistry, and with psychology and sociology, I chose them as I always wanted to learn about human behaviour etc..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.