Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stores airbrush Christ out of Christmas Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    don't want to offend muslims, hindus, druids, wiccans and atheists with images of Christ having any association with christmas

Multi-culturalism for ya
    Right, and where are the muslims, hindus, druids, wiccans and atheists who said they were offended?

ReputationRep:
    Good lord. The daily mail actually comissioned someone to collect that data? :facepalm:

Secondly, if there was genuine demand for jesus christmas cards they would be all over it like flies on ****. Clearly there isn't the demand. Has nothing to do with 'political correctness'.

ReputationRep:
    brb, saying 'Seasons Greetings' instead of Merry Christmas

WTF

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mas-cards.html

wow. The daily mail strikes again, I think it's disgusting, personally but then again, don't want to offend muslims, hindus, druids, wiccans and atheists with images of Christ having any association with christmas

Multi-culturalism for ya
    That's a terrible argument for. That's like saying let's erase all Islamic images not to offend Christians.

ReputationRep:
    Stephen Green, of Christian Voice, said: ‘The situation is caused by managers subscribing to political correctness and the idea that in some way Christian cards are offensive to other religions. This is simply not true.’
    Or maybe it's just a case of supply and demand? Effing idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieBee_90)
    Right, and where are the muslims, hindus, druids, wiccans and atheists who said they were offended?
    modern political correctness, they don't even have to say they'll be offended or anything

but in all seriousness, I do think it's a bad sad. It's just been tradition to have christianity closely linked to christmas, it has been the basis of the 'backstory of Christmas' itself, the reason it's traditionally celebrated

One just has to accept that modern british society is mainly secular now and that's that, I don't get the need for it though, where are the atheists asking for christ to be removed from christmas? Is anyone actually complaining in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    Havent you learnt yet TSR?
    Do you have a story you want to share? Will it start an interesting discussion? Is your source the Daily mail? Then nobody is going to take you seriously. -_-
    errr so what if a large section of tsr don't like the daily mail? It still consistently churns out consistently interesting and debate worthy stories, it's one of the most read newspapers in the country for a reason

There is no newspaper in the UK that's completely objective, with no political affiliation whatsoever, appealing to all of the public. Ok you don't like the daily mail, deal with it

ReputationRep:
    This is getting stupid now...

ReputationRep:
    LOLWUT everybody knows Christmas isn't religious, it all came about because of Chris Kringle that's why it's called Christmas, silly Daily Mail tsk tsk.

ReputationRep:
    When I read the title I thought that stores had been going round with "Merry mas" written everywhere. I don't understand all the fuss, you can still buy religious cards if you want to.

ReputationRep:
    modern political correctness, they don't even have to say they'll be offended or anything
    So why is it multiculturalism's fault? Blame the people who are removing the cards, changing the name etc. without actually asking anybody if they are offended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FamousFourTops)
    You know, maybe its not about offending people who have other religions or none. Maybe its just the fact that most people don't celebrate Christmas for religious reasons any more. Those cards with religious scenes on just don't sell. I am an atheist, and I see Christmas as a time to get together with my family, most of whom I don't see very often, and have a very enjoyable time. I see it as having very little to do with Christ's birth. Things aren't in stasis, they change and move on. Sticking dogmatically to "what Christmas SHOULD be about" is, ironically, missing the point of what Christmas really IS about in modern society, I think.
    Just my opinions; I am not trying to offend anyone of any religious denomination.
    This. I'll rep you some other time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FamousFourTops)
    You know, maybe its not about offending people who have other religions or none. Maybe its just the fact that most people don't celebrate Christmas for religious reasons any more. Those cards with religious scenes on just don't sell. I am an atheist, and I see Christmas as a time to get together with my family, most of whom I don't see very often, and have a very enjoyable time. I see it as having very little to do with Christ's birth. Things aren't in stasis, they change and move on. Sticking dogmatically to "what Christmas SHOULD be about" is, ironically, missing the point of what Christmas really IS about in modern society, I think.
    Just my opinions; I am not trying to offend anyone of any religious denomination.
    Great point you've made there actually. I could imagine this happening in America.. the christian backlash would be huge, the pentecostals would go nuts

ReputationRep:
    For the first time ever, it sucks to be Jesus.
    Imagine everyone having a party on your birthday whilst completely forgetting about you :'(

ReputationRep:
    They weren't selling. Trying to add a Muslim link is fruitless. Better luck next time Mail.

ReputationRep:
    Christmas is celebration for celebration's sake, and that's the way it should be.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I like to buy religious Christmas Cards but I get mine from places such as The Good Book Company

This year I'm going for
    http://www.thegoodbook.co.uk/On-the-...-crimbo_xf_16/ (for my Christian Friends)
    and
    http://www.thegoodbook.co.uk/Filled-...rimbo_ze_1039/
    http://www.thegoodbook.co.uk/How-Silently-crimbo_xr_16/ (for my non-Christian friends)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 11, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.