Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People who missed their uni offer but got in anyway... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpneeded-a)
    I think they let you in for a reason. Just because sme people have good grades, or higher grades than you in A-lvels, doesn't mean the place should've gone to them.
    You could've showed passion in personal statement?
    You'd have to show an awful lot of passion though; if one person has A*A*A* and another person has BBB I can't imagine how bad the former applicant's PS would have to be before their place went to the BBB applicant.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    You'd have to show an awful lot of passion though; if one person has A*A*A* and another person has BBB I can't imagine how bad the former applicant's PS would have to be before their place went to the BBB applicant.
    We're not talking about two people applying with two differing sets of predicted/actual grades though: we're talking about people who were expected to get the same grades as everyone else, didn't for whatever reason, and were let in anyway :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    But did it ever cross your mind, or did you always believe you deserved to be there just as much?
    I can't remember it crossing my mind - I knew I'd underperformed at A-Level, and was more disappointed about missing my firm choice than worried about not being up to scratch for my insurance, but I quickly got over that when I arrived in Notts

ReputationRep:
    they probably had a place for you so they accepted you.

If they thought you were not worthy, they wouldnt have made an offer to you in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I missed my offer for York and I still got in. It isnt really that I shouldnt be at York. In fact I am incredibly grateful that I am at such a fantastic university, and the smart people here actually motivate me to reach the potential that I failed to do in secondary school. Though it is quite overwhelming when I walk around campus still amazed that I actually managed to blag my way in.

ReputationRep:
    Gah this is what I'm scared off. To get an A* in Math I need a 96% at A2 :zomg:. You need a 90% overall for getting an A* in CIE :woo:

But I WILL get in!! :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    Not really. I worked hard, but was ill a lot during my fifth and sixth years, as well as ill close to the exams. Instead of BC, I got CC, but they gave me an unconditional. I went to the open days, spoke to the people I met and the lecturer showing us around said that he liked how much research I'd done on both the subject and the course.

I deferred (I hadn't expected to make my conditional, so I wasn't very prepared) but I'm looking forward to next September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Do any of you feel like you shouldn't be there? I missed my firm offer but for some reason I was let in anyway, and I always wonder why :erm: I sometimes feel like the place could've gone to somebody more deserving or that I'm not up to the standard of those around me :o:

What do you think?
    The reason they let you in is simple: supply and demand. You probably know that pretty much all universities give out a greater number of offers than places available for a course in anticipation that some of the applicants will miss their offers. You may have missed your offer, but your results were good enough compared to the results of other candidates anyway, and they need to fill places to get more money, so they let you in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.