Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Good Pet for a Student Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keckers)
    Slow lorris.

Most awesome animal ever.
    THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

ReputationRep:
    Ferrets are good pets.They don't have the perceived yuckness of rats either.

ReputationRep:
    Get a mini pig!

Imagine taking one of those for walks, you would be the envy of everyone and all the girls would be after you

ReputationRep:
    A sloth. SO exciting.

or a ladybug. low maintenance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benten10X)
    I second that. I have two ferrets, and i absolutely love them. They are very playful, affectionate and totally fearless. They are relatively cheap and easy to care for too.

ReputationRep:
    A ferret, the 3rd most popular pet in the USA

ReputationRep:
    oh norr, there ace! i dont wna give them up!
    Literally everyone has pets in my halls, just hammys and gerbils and that sort of thing Its fine

ReputationRep:
    Get a ferret, naow.

ReputationRep:
    A toad called trevor.

ReputationRep:
    Get a hedgehog.

ReputationRep:
    This thread set me off. I have been in university a few months now, and can cope without family or friends (still haven't made many new ones :/).

I need a pet. I really need a pet. I am finding it hard to cope without my lizard. But my accommodation does not allow any pets! I have been looking for something that I can keep hidden. I have come to a conclusion...

Aww.

Mantids are easy to look after, will eat anything, can be kept in a sweet jar (which is easy to transport if going away for a long time), make no sound, only need feeding once or twice a week (so I can go away for 2 days without worrying), don't need special heating and light, and will be dead within a year.
    Seems like the perfect keep-hidden-from-landlord pet.

Anyway, OP, you aren't in the same position as me, so you have a lot more choice.
    May I suggest reptiles though? They are surprisingly easy to keep. Much less smelly, more hardy, and generally easier than mammals.

ReputationRep:
    Get two Russian dwarf hamsters and make them fight.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you have cats in UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysun)
    Don't you have cats in UK?
    OP said dogs & cats aren't allowed.

I'd just like to say there is a Maths teacher at school (who is the most awesomest person ever) who has two ferrets, called Fred and Ferret. Ferrets are therefore the Macklest pets you can get.

ReputationRep:
    Sea-Monkeys. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emi_sarb)
    Sea Monkeys- They're very cheap and only need feeding once a week.
    Great minds think alike.

I was going to say Triops, but URGH. They make me heave.

ReputationRep:
    I have three gerbils, they're absolutely gorgeous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagnificentFuhrer)
    Lol that is pretty cute.
    He can be sometimes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benten10X)
    They stink though! I absolutely love ferrets and in the next few years I plan to get some more but we've tried having them indoors before and the whole place just starts to smell musky.

They have tonnes of ferrets in most rescues which will save you a bunch of money if you do decide to get some as males smell much less when neutered and females need to be spayed or get jill jabs or they may die when they come in to season and aren't mated.

I agree with rats, lovely animals if you have the space. Like a nice cuddle!

House rabbits can be very destructive and messy leaving hay all over the place so I would never suggest getting one in rented accommodation.

Gerbils need lots of space and aren't at all cuddly like rats but they're very entertaining and low maintenence - they don't eat much, don't smell and need less regular clean outs than other animals.

Guineas like a cuddle but will need a lot of space.

Mice are brilliant because they don't need much space but they do need frequent clean outs. You can add more at any time which means no worries about leaving one on it's own. They are really fun to have around and I can spend ages just watching them. If you get them used to you they will also love to climb up your arm when you put your arm in the cage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitkat_1)
    Literally everyone has pets in my halls, just hammys and gerbils and that sort of thing Its fine
    woo! there a breeding pair, and mum and dad wouldnt know to check for eggs :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.