Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who has heard the song Hoppipolla by Sigur Ros? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charcharchar)
    10 years later... you finally catch on

oh btw, have you heard S Club 7? They're really good, too
    S Club 7, what's that?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone seeing as it still gets milked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Hoppipolla is their most over-rated song. It's good, yes, but not as good as some of their other material. Just poke around on YT and there's dozens of gems waiting to be found.
    Wouldn't say overrated, it's just more the fact most people haven't heard any of their other songs.

Með Suð Í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust is definately in my top 3 albums of all time. Ara Batur, All Alright and Með suð í eyrum are just genious. Takk is a fantastic album aswell. () is a bit too boring although Sigur 1-3 and 8 are fantastic. Ágætis byrjun has a few great songs but also some poor ones. And the less said about Von the better
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fred Ivanovic)
    Wouldn't say overrated, it's just more the fact most people haven't heard any of their other songs.

Með Suð Í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust is definately in my top 3 albums of all time. Ara Batur, All Alright and Með suð í eyrum are just genious. Takk is a fantastic album aswell. () is a bit too boring although Sigur 1-3 and 8 are fantastic. Ágætis byrjun has a few great songs but also some poor ones. And the less said about Von the better
    I quite like Von actually.
    I do intend on buying all the albums at some point, as it stands I've got Hvarf/Heim and the Heima DVD, plus I listen to things on YT every now and then.

ReputationRep:
    Favourite song by Sigur Ros?
    Does anyone know how to pronounce it by the way? Is it just - Si-gur ros? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hash007)
    Favourite song by Sigur Ros?
    Does anyone know how to pronounce it by the way? Is it just - Si-gur ros? :dontknow:
    http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/band/pronunci.php

ReputationRep:
    Svefn-G-Englar is my exam preparation song.

Gong and Andvari are also personal favourites.

they're alright, bit overrated, there's better ambient/electronic stuff out there (not gonna use the phrase 'post rock' because there isn't much better post rock out there, a lot of it is junk)

ReputationRep:
      I thought everyone had heard it...

there's a really big dance tune that samples it, Poppiholla, but I can't remember who did it.

ReputationRep:
      ooh, thanks It's a silent G

ReputationRep:
      I love the song

Chicane did Poppiholla

ReputationRep:
      Sigur Ros create the most beautiful, pure music I have heard in a long while. To those who are kinda saying 'duh, you're like 10 years late', you're actually wrong. Sigur Ros aren't that heard of in the UK, I tried to introduce them to some music loving friends and they didn't have a clue who they were. They don't get the recognition they deserve.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by hash007)
      ooh, thanks It's a silent G
      Aye, more of a fricative or a glide than a g, really, and the ó is very rounded, to the point of being a dipthong.

Favourite is either "Myrkur" from Von, "8" from () or "Starálfur" from Ágætis byrjun.

(Original post by SophiaKeuning)
      Sigur Ros create the most beautiful, pure music I have heard in a long while. To those who are kinda saying 'duh, you're like 10 years late', you're actually wrong. Sigur Ros aren't that heard of in the UK, I tried to introduce them to some music loving friends and they didn't have a clue who they were. They don't get the recognition they deserve.
      That's cause they were huge in the UK and Europe 10 years ago and faded away after the release of (). :p:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hylean)
      Aye, more of a fricative or a glide than a g, really, and the ó is very rounded, to the point of being a dipthong.

Favourite is either "Myrkur" from Von, "8" from () or "Starálfur" from Ágætis byrjun.

That's cause they were huge in the UK and Europe 10 years ago and faded away after the release of (). :p:
      But the song the OP was talking about was released in 2005.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.